PDA

View Full Version : Looking for story book ideas...suggestions please :)

Mouse
22-04-2015, 12:47 PM
We always have a "current book" on the go. We read it every day, do activities related to it, share it at home, make a display etc.

Recent books we've done are the usual favourites - We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Room in the Broom, Hungry Caterpillar, Gruffalo, Light house Keeper's Lunch etc. The children like the rhymes and repeated phrases that they can join in with.

I've tried a few different books over the last week or so, but none of them have engaged the children in the same way previous books have.

What suggestions do you have? Which books have been favourites with your children (minded or own children)?

The children are between the ages of (just) 3 and 4.5yrs.

Maza
22-04-2015, 01:19 PM
I never get sick of The Three Bears, The Three Billy Goats Gruff or Jack and the Beanstalk.

All the Julia Donaldson books are lovely. We have had done some lovely activities linked to 'Sharing a Shell' in particular. x

mama2three
22-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Our current favourite is Rain by Manya Stojic.
It incorporates themes of growing , seasons , 5 senses .
Its the one everyone brings me for storytime!

loocyloo
22-04-2015, 03:07 PM
We've currently reading10 wriggly wiggly caterpillars by Helen Tarbett, and recently have had Hug by Jez Alborough, Brown bear Brown bear by Bill Martin jr/Eric Carle and Commotion in the ocean by Giles someone! Next month we're going to do 'the tiny seed' by Eric Carle.

'Where's Spot' was another favorite but more for younger children.

And another favourite book we did is 'what a wonderful world' illustrated by Tim Hopgood. It comes with a cd of the song and by the end we could all sing it! Tim Hopgoods 'Wow said the Owl' is super too.

Maza
22-04-2015, 03:10 PM
The Jill Murphy ones are great for that age - Peace at Last, Whatever Next. I also love 'Can't you Sleep Little Bear'? and Owl Babies. Handa's Surprise usually goes down well. I love 'In a Minute' - I'm sure that's by Eileen Brown, and 'Through my Window'.

'That's My Teddy' - Jez Alborough and 'This is the Bear' - Helen Craig, are also gorgeous rhyming books.

My favourite books are the Alfie and Annie Rose books, but they are not rhyming books and don't have a repeated refrain.

hectors house
22-04-2015, 03:58 PM
How about going to the library and letting the children choose a few books that you can use as book of the week - it will make the child who choose the book feel their choice is valued and tick a box for British Values (exploring local community). Or you could find stories on growing things eg: Jack and the Beanstalk and plant some beans and record how they grow.

FloraDora
22-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Not repeated but read Jaspers Beanstalk last week, All my LO's liked it...then we planted our own bean and searched the garden for slugs and snails....good for days of the week too.

A favourite of ours is pass the jam Jim which has rhyming linked with names that we copied to make rhymes around the LO's names - well the 4 year old did.

lollipop kid
22-04-2015, 06:24 PM
My older ones enjoy Dr Seuss books - e.g. Green Eggs and Ham, and The Cat in the Hat.

Other favourites are Jemima Puddleduck and Peter Rabbit.

(I've also got some of the Beatrix Potter books as DVDs, and all of my children are transfixed by these.)

We also love the Hairy Maclary books, as well as "The Gingerbread Man", "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" and "Little Red Riding Hood." Plus, we always come back to "The Hungry Caterpillar", "Dear Zoo" and "Hug" - I find these just magical.

L

Mouse
22-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks all. Some fab ideas there :thumbsup:

We're off to the library tomorrow morning so I'll take a list with me and see what they've got. We always end up bringing loads of books home - I just have to remember how many so I know they all go back!

FussyElmo
22-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I love love love this story and so has every child I have read it too

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear (Child's Play Library): Amazon.co.uk: Audrey Wood, Don Wood: 9780859530125: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Strawberry-Hungry-Childs-Library/dp/0859530124)

Mouse
22-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I've just spent half an hour listening to lots of your recommendations on youtube!

Jiorjiina
23-04-2015, 12:11 AM
We are more of a story orientated bunch at the moment, so The Crocodile Who Didn't Like Water (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Crocodile-Didnt-Like-Water/dp/1447214714) is very popular,Little Wizard (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Wizard-Kazuno-Kohara/dp/0230736084/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E1SCXW73R3S2P8FEK72) is popular with a couple of them (there is a bit of a theme to some of our books...), Otter Moon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Otter-Moon-Tudor-Humphries/dp/1907152482/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429747475&sr=1-1&keywords=Otter+Moon) (I love that one, and the pictures are beautiful!) and also You're all My Favourites (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youre-All-Favourites-Sam-McBratney/dp/1844285154/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429747815&sr=1-1&keywords=you%27re+all+my+favourites) are all big hits here.

Maza
23-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Some fab suggestions and quite a few I haven't read. Thank goodness for libraries! What a lovely thread. x

Kirstylob
23-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I don't know if all libraries are the same but at our local library you can get a Childminders card which allows you to take 25 books at a time and keep them for 3 months. Can be very handy!

Mouse
23-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I don't know if all libraries are the same but at our local library you can get a Childminders card which allows you to take 25 books at a time and keep them for 3 months. Can be very handy!

The best bit for me is that they don't charge for late returns :blush:

We had Owl Baby book and CD out for over 2 years!

Ellisha
24-04-2015, 02:04 PM
My LOs love My Granny Went to Market by Stella Blackstone and Christopher Corr - it's a counting book and talks about different countries. Also Shark In the Dark by Peter Bently. They come back to them time and again :)

loocyloo
24-04-2015, 05:46 PM
My LOs love My Granny Went to Market by Stella Blackstone and Christopher Corr - it's a counting book and talks about different countries. Also Shark In the Dark by Peter Bently. They come back to them time and again :)

Oh I love my granny went to market :-) I love lots of the barefoot books xx

lollipop kid
24-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Have a look at "Shark in the Park" (Nick Sharratt). My bunch love this (as do I).

Ooh, and Tabby McTat (which is also really useful for the Ofsted 'diversity' resources question) - have a flick through some of the images and you'll see what I mean.

I never get tired of this book and I notice something different every time.

:thumbsup:

L

loocyloo
24-04-2015, 06:29 PM
today we read 'pants' and 'more pants' ( have a cd of lenny henry reading pants! its ace! ) and followed it up with 'aliens love underpants' !!!!

lollipop kid
24-04-2015, 06:36 PM
today we read 'pants' and 'more pants' ( have a cd of lenny henry reading pants! its ace! ) and followed it up with 'aliens love underpants' !!!!

I did a 'space' party once for my son (he was about 5).

I had a story session in the middle where I read "Aliens love underpants" to the children (all boys). I had a big cardboard box full of (clean) boy pants under my chair. At the end of the story, I threw the pants up in the air, thinking the children would all run away from them. Instead, they each grabbed a pair. put them on their heads, and started dancing and singing "pants on my head" or something similar. It was hilarious.

(I also served a drink which I called 'rocket fuel' - fresh orange juice and cola. Maybe this sent them loopy! :laughing:)

L

FussyElmo
24-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Have a look at "Shark in the Park" (Nick Sharratt). My bunch love this (as do I).

Ooh, and Tabby McTat (which is also really useful for the Ofsted 'diversity' resources question) - have a flick through some of the images and you'll see what I mean.

I never get tired of this book and I notice something different every time.

:thumbsup:

L
That's the second time this week I have seen shark in the park mentioned this week by 2 different cms.