PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old v advanced jn maths?

alex__17
21-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Have a 2 year 9 month old who is doing most of the things in the final maths age group in Dev matters and she's very shy and I'm sure I only see a fraction of what she's capable of doing, I've only been doing this a year, can anyone advise as to how to support her? I feel like I should be doing something, she's very self conscious and shy so I'm more focussing on developing her PSED area as I think that will be the area that she'll need help with before starting school, but feel I should be doing something with the maths to stretch her? Or should I not?!

Maza
21-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Can you give a few examples of some of the things she can do in maths? x

Mouse
21-04-2015, 08:10 PM
I think you're right to concentrate on her PSED if that's an area she struggles with, but I do think you should also stretch her when it comes to maths.
What sort of things does she do now? Can she count objects, order them by size etc. There are lots of fun activities you could do to enhance her learning and encourage an enjoyment of maths.

hectors house
21-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I would give her your accounts to do and when she has done yours can she do mine too? :D

alex__17
21-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Yes she can count objects eg count all the cows in a mixed group of animals, count way past 20 (she counts everything!) count down from 20 to 1, I asked her today as we were reading if we have 5 chicks and one walks off how many left and she said 4, she can order say 3 objects by length or size, she recognises all the numerals and points them out in books or even on door numbers as we're out walking... I only have her 2 half days a week so I'm sure I dint see everything she can do she just seems to get it and enjoys it

mama2three
22-04-2015, 07:20 AM
maths is so much more than counting and numerals...how about introducing weighing , measuring , coins , sorting , patterns - symmetry , mosaics etc....

hectors house
22-04-2015, 07:37 AM
I would continue to support her Maths but focus mostly on the PSE - it's not easy being the brightest kid in the class if you don't know how to make (and keep) friends.

Ripeberry
22-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Keep encouraging her, but as others have said, try and focus on PSED as in the end, that can be much more important when she starts school.

alex__17
22-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks that was exactly my thoughts she's so bright and learning all this stuff her parents teach her and she enjoys it so I do think there's no harm but she hates new situations and places, doesn't settle quickly doesnt interact with other people or kids until she knows them well and is so shy so while I think it's great she clearly loves counting and reading in the real world she needs to be able to make friends and get used to new environments more easily.
So will continue with extending maths, we were looking at patterns and doing some weighing so will carry on with that but concentrate on psed more, just worry if I were to have ofsted over they'd pull me up for saying that!