PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please.....Non payment!?!?

LittleGems30
21-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Hello, I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation to myself and can advise me.......?!?

I had an assistant working with me up until recently who also brought her daughter to the setting. I explained I would have to charge for her daughter as she was taking up a full time space, although I charged her at a highly discounted rate as she was also a friend. She claimed tax credits for her childcare as she was on a low wage. I invoiced her monthly the same as all other parents and she filled in all relevant permission forms, child record forms etc etc. We didn't sign an official contract, which is a huge error on my part as at the time she started I was waiting for new paperwork to arrive and I trusted her. I did intend to do one, but never got round to it. Huge mistake.

She still owes me a month from when she first started as she was waiting on tax credits to back date her, and although she eventually paid a small lump sum and agreed to set up an extra weekly payment, I have still never received the full amount.
I recently noticed on my online accounts that some of the more recent payments were stopped. I emailed her about this and she has responded (after some time!) to apologize, and admitted that she is really struggling to pay etc. The amount due is now over £1000 ! I've never charged any late payment fees.
I've been very supportive and patient and asked her again to agree a small affordable weekly payment, but she is still avoiding paying. I'm worried she has gotten into debt, and as a friend I want to support her and be as sensitive as possible, but I am starting to get a bit annoyed with chasing her and her lack of consideration for my own families finances! I feel she has taken advantage of my good nature, as if she has claimed for this childcare then surely she had the money in her account and should pay it! I'm just thankful she no longer works here as things have now become awkward between us, and I'm upset that I've potentially lost a lot of money, but worse still a friend... :(

Has anyone else had a similar problem?? Is there any way I could claim back the money through tax credits or my insurance (bearing in mind no contracts signed?) Please help, feeling dissapointed x :(

Mouse
21-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Do you still look after her child?

You really need to phone your insurance company and ask their advice. They're the only ones who can tell you whether or not they'll be able to do anything.

Fingers crossed they can help.

LittleGems30
21-04-2015, 05:32 PM
No, the child left recently when she did.

My next step is to ring insurance, I'm just afraid that they wont be able to help. I should have dealt with it sooner, but I was hoping we could sort out informally as I don't want her to have the stress of receiving solicitors letters if she is really struggling........?!