PDA

View Full Version : Displaying the parents poster

mumofone
21-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Rather than have this on display are we allowed to just email it to the parents on our books?

Simona
21-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Rather than have this on display are we allowed to just email it to the parents on our books?

Interesting question and another one open to interpretation.
Ofsted say we 'should' display' the poster...NOT must display....compared to the certificate which is a must.

https://www.gov.uk/search?q=Parents+poster

bunyip
21-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Interesting question and another one open to interpretation.
Ofsted say we 'should' display' the poster...NOT must display....compared to the certificate which is a must.

https://www.gov.uk/search?q=Parents+poster

I agree absolutely.

This begs the other question:

...... Should an Ofsted inspectre know the difference between "should" and "must"? :rolleyes:

tess1981
21-04-2015, 06:18 PM
It is like social services over here can't tell the difference between regulation and their recommendation

FloraDora
21-04-2015, 07:33 PM
My ofsted Inspector asked about it - I said I gave every parent a copy on contract signing, that originally I hung it in my hall too but that I had come to my senses and realised that if a parent wanted to complain about me they were not going to stand in my hall and write the number down, all my parents are Internet savvy and so would be able to find this information anyway.

I explained that after reflecting and reviewing I made the decision not to display, I then contacted all parents via the communication section on my online system, like I usually do, explained my decision, signposted them to my complaints procedure and a copy of the poster.

She was fine with this.

sarah707
21-04-2015, 07:35 PM
I know colleagues who have been downgraded for not displaying it so I always recommend it's on the wall where parents can see it ... x

Simona
21-04-2015, 08:13 PM
My ofsted Inspector asked about it - I said I gave every parent a copy on contract signing, that originally I hung it in my hall too but that I had come to my senses and realised that if a parent wanted to complain about me they were not going to stand in my hall and write the number down, all my parents are Internet savvy and so would be able to find this information anyway.

I explained that after reflecting and reviewing I made the decision not to display, I then contacted all parents via the communication section on my online system, like I usually do, explained my decision, signposted them to my complaints procedure and a copy of the poster.

She was fine with this.

Yes I agree...the poster can also be included in the parents' info pack...or as you say photocopied for them and kept at home.
The poster, according to Ofsted, is to highlight Ofsted's responsibility to parents...I would say most know what those are and in case of a complaint parents would know exactly what to do...I bet there is an app they can use for that?

I think you are right...we must have the opportunity to explain if we decide not to display and what led to that decision...that is leadership and management...a 'should' is not a 'must' and any inspector should be open to a valid explanation.