PDA

View Full Version : New childminder- Advice on charging in school holidays

Caterpillarscm
20-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Hi, I have only recently registered as a childminder and just wanted some help with how I set up my costs. I will be open during term time and also school holidays. I have had an enquiry for school drop off and pick up for school term only. If my setting is open all year (apart from my holidays) how do I go about charging a parent to keep a place open during school holidays if their child does not attend? Do you ask for the amount they pay for before and after school care or a proportion of full day care? I just wanted to understand how it would work so would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

FussyElmo
20-04-2015, 05:55 PM
There are different ways of charging.

Some chare nothing as they like the holidays to be quieter.
Some charge 50% of the normal fee but if you do this the place has to be retained for the parent.
Some don't charge because they fill the place with other holiday children.
Some minders are term time only

No right or wrong way just do what suits you :thumbsup:

AliceK
20-04-2015, 06:15 PM
I charge a higher hourly rate for TTO children and then they don't pay me for the school hols and I always invoice for Septembers care at the end of July (just in case they decide at the last minute in Sept that they are not coming back), just gives me a bit of security. I do have quite a few adhoc children so not having a child in the school hols gives me that flexibility to offer care to them if they need it.

xxx

Lal
20-04-2015, 06:53 PM
At the moment I differentiate between term-time and holidays for all of my children. I don't work Mondays and Fridays in the holidays and term-time I will do school drop off any day but don't do a regular Friday pick up. My current pre-school age children only come one or two days a week term time only. I then ask parents what they need during the holidays. Some book up for the three days I am open, others do the odd day. One very sporty after-school family always book their children on to sports courses for the holidays- which is fine by me as it saves my lawn getting (more) trashed in the holidays! I charge a day rate in the hols for schoolies and the usual hourly rate for pre-schoolers. So, when I do my May invoices parents who want holiday cover will get two- one for term time and one for holiday. It works for me at the moment with the families I have. I like to have spaces for extra ad hoc hours or so I can be flexible- but I make sure I say 'no' if I can't or don't want to do extra.
As already said it is up to you how you do it :)

Caterpillarscm
20-04-2015, 09:03 PM
There are different ways of charging.

Some chare nothing as they like the holidays to be quieter.
Some charge 50% of the normal fee but if you do this the place has to be retained for the parent.
Some don't charge because they fill the place with other holiday children.
Some minders are term time only

No right or wrong way just do what suits you :thumbsup:

Thank you for the information. By 'normal fee' do you mean half of the daily amount that they usually pay?

Caterpillarscm
20-04-2015, 09:08 PM
I charge a higher hourly rate for TTO children and then they don't pay me for the school hols and I always invoice for Septembers care at the end of July (just in case they decide at the last minute in Sept that they are not coming back), just gives me a bit of security. I do have quite a few adhoc children so not having a child in the school hols gives me that flexibility to offer care to them if they need it.

xxx

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Would you mind letting me know how much higher your rate is for term time only, is it £1 higher than your standard fee for example (if you don't feel comfortable telling me then no problem at all).

Caterpillarscm
20-04-2015, 09:10 PM
At the moment I differentiate between term-time and holidays for all of my children. I don't work Mondays and Fridays in the holidays and term-time I will do school drop off any day but don't do a regular Friday pick up. My current pre-school age children only come one or two days a week term time only. I then ask parents what they need during the holidays. Some book up for the three days I am open, others do the odd day. One very sporty after-school family always book their children on to sports courses for the holidays- which is fine by me as it saves my lawn getting (more) trashed in the holidays! I charge a day rate in the hols for schoolies and the usual hourly rate for pre-schoolers. So, when I do my May invoices parents who want holiday cover will get two- one for term time and one for holiday. It works for me at the moment with the families I have. I like to have spaces for extra ad hoc hours or so I can be flexible- but I make sure I say 'no' if I can't or don't want to do extra.
As already said it is up to you how you do it :)

Thank you for the information, this is a really good idea and offers some flexibility. Lots to think about thank you!

natlou82
21-04-2015, 05:26 AM
My TTO school children only pay during term time. Then if they need me in the hols they pay for what they need. I have decided that families with under 5s that want TTO I will charge for the school term weeks (39) but then average it out over the year so I still get paid every month as I would struggle if they paid nothing in August. Hopefully this is a win win all round as the parents are only paying for the hours they need. I like to be fair to parents (only charging for actual care) but also think about my business needs too. I like TTO as I prefer quieter holidays with my own children :-)

AliceK
21-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Would you mind letting me know how much higher your rate is for term time only, is it £1 higher than your standard fee for example (if you don't feel comfortable telling me then no problem at all).

I charge on average 80p per hour more. That more or less equals the money out to what I would get paid for 48wks by a regular child. Assuming I take 4 weeks hols myself for which I don't charge.

xxx