PDA

View Full Version : Sorry floor space question

janminder
19-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Want to measure available area again. I read on here a long time ago that you could count floor space which had child sized furniture. I have the Ikea childs table and chairs which they use for mark making etc but I also now have two 60cm x 60cm tuff spot trays which just fit on the armchairs tight so cant be pulled off and I have different things in them eg bricks, small world, play food plates etc. Does this mean I can count the floor they cover as its not storage but usable play space.

Many thanks

Mouse
19-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Are they permanent fixtures or do you move them around?

I don't include any space where I don't move the children's furniture (like their small sofa), but I do include space where I move the furniture around - my Ikea tables & chairs get moved from one room to another, or put away altogether etc.

Amanda70
20-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Hi I was told on Friday by my L.A that you measure the whole room from wall to wall and that's your floor space

Lal
20-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Taken from the EYFS 2014-

"These calculations should be based on the net or useable areas of the rooms used by the children, not including storage areas, thoroughfares, dedicated staff areas, cloakrooms, utility rooms, kitchens and toilets."

Like Mouse I include space taken up by children's movable furniture as usable play space.

moggy
20-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Hi I was told on Friday by my L.A that you measure the whole room from wall to wall and that's your floor space

Again, misinformed LA staff giving poor information. Might be worth showing them the EYFS (see previous post). 'Usable' space is the key thing- children need space to run about, to crawl, to roll- you can';t do that on space taken up by sofas and cupboards etc.

HappyFeet2014
20-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Are we to know how much floor space we have before ofsted come out to do a pre reg?

moggy
20-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Are we to know how much floor space we have before ofsted come out to do a pre reg?

The EYFS states what space is required. It is wise to measure up and check if you have space for the children you hope to have before your pre-reg.
Would be very disappointing to get all the way to pre-reg and then to find you do not have space! The pre-reg visit is the very last thing that happens in the process, so you really need to have these things sorted out and be all ready to work by the time they come out.

HappyFeet2014
20-04-2015, 02:09 PM
I have a large conservatory and dining room I checked the measurements out before I applied. I just didn't know if I had to know the exact measurements when they come out... It was a long time ago lol

Mouse
20-04-2015, 02:22 PM
I have a large conservatory and dining room I checked the measurements out before I applied. I just didn't know if I had to know the exact measurements when they come out... It was a long time ago lol

I think it would look good if you knew the exact measurements.

I have an info sheet in with my risk assessments that shows the floor measurements and the measurements needed per child.

HappyFeet2014
20-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Good idea :) thank you

Amanda70
20-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Again, misinformed LA staff giving poor information. Might be worth showing them the EYFS (see previous post). 'Usable' space is the key thing- children need space to run about, to crawl, to roll- you can';t do that on space taken up by sofas and cupboards etc.
Thanks Moggy, I've measured my rooms again taking out the furniture and stuff and looks like il still have enough space to mind. Im quite surprised as the area doesn't look that big

sarah707
20-04-2015, 04:12 PM
This is the way it needs to be worked out to comply with the Eyfs ...

Space Requirements (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/space-requirements-eyfs.html)

Inspectors often arrive with tapes, especially if they think space is tight !! :D

janminder
21-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Thanks for replies, can't move chairs so presume can't count space :(

Rubybubbles
21-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Someone mentioned on here last week about physically cutting the area out that you need on paper and laying it out to measure (I'm a visual learner!) sounds good to me!

I move "a lot" and hubby has to measure up for me when doing my fire plans as I just change "picture the space"