PDA

View Full Version : Nut allergy

mumofone
18-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Would you take a child on with a nut allergy? Is it a big deal? Or do you mind a child with one, any points I should consider? Thank you :-)

moggy
18-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Depends how severe the allergy is, how food is managed (bringing own food or me providing) and the mix of other children (other children eating nut products who might try to swap food?), and also how many days/hours and how busy I am those days- this child would need extra watching and monitoring at all 'food-times' and when out where food might be around (other children's biscuits at Toddler Group etc).

I eat a lot of nut products as do my children and mindees. I am vegetarian so nuts are an important part of my diet. I can not provide a 'nut free' setting so if that is what the child needs I am not the CMer for them.

FloraDora
18-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I would definately take a child on with a nut allergy.
But first I would make sure I had training with the child from a professional to administer the epi pen and
Complete a health plan with parent / professional.

Then RA with the specific knowledge of the child and how severe it is.
Talk through the RA with the child's parent and decide your way forward re informing other parents to ensure no nut related food comes into your home.
You would have to decide if parents provide all food, what you will do as regards cooking with children ( possibly own utensils and resources), how you will protect child when out, make sure they don't put anything in mouth etc...
Seperate preparation boards in case of contamination.

But I have only experienced in school not as a CM and I expect somebody on here will have experience that they can share.

natlou82
18-04-2015, 09:01 PM
For me it would also depend on the severity. With training and careful RA I would consider a child who couldn't eat nuts or nut related products, I would want them to provide their own food however. But I am aware that some people have very severe nut allergies and can't even have nut products within the air which could be difficult to manage. I would be asking a lot of questions and make sure I was fully aware of the situation.

MissK_NH
19-04-2015, 06:56 PM
I'm setting up as a childminder and also have an 18mth old with a nut allergy. He carries epi pens and has to avoid all food containing nuts and all food that 'may contain traces of nut'. I feel very sorry for him, especially as we are real foodies. Only 25% of people with nut allergies actually grow out of it. Now days the food labeling is so good and after a while you learn which products can be eaten. Any families coming to my house will have to provide nut free packed lunches, but this is no different to any other visitors, e.g. friends bringing a cake round for a natter on days off. He does need to be closely watched at food times that he doesn't eat anyone else's food, and we have already started training him and his sister that some food is not for him. We don't make a fuss about it. It just is. I tend to take a secret stash of yummies he can eat instead. If I'm going on an outing, he wears a medical alert silicon bracelet. This is for him, other people or if I am unable to communicate his needs in an emergency. I carry his allergy kit everywhere I go. It is a yellow waterproof dry bag with a copy of his allergy plan inside, antihistamine, inhaler and two epi pens. He has a moderate allergy so isn't one of the kids that can be triggered by the essence of nut. Hope this helps.

k1rstie
19-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm setting up as a childminder and also have an 18mth old with a nut allergy. He carries epi pens and has to avoid all food containing nuts and all food that 'may contain traces of nut'. I feel very sorry for him, especially as we are real foodies. Only 25% of people with nut allergies actually grow out of it. Now days the food labeling is so good and after a while you learn which products can be eaten. Any families coming to my house will have to provide nut free packed lunches, but this is no different to any other visitors, e.g. friends bringing a cake round for a natter on days off. He does need to be closely watched at food times that he doesn't eat anyone else's food, and we have already started training him and his sister that some food is not for him. We don't make a fuss about it. It just is. I tend to take a secret stash of yummies he can eat instead. If I'm going on an outing, he wears a medical alert silicon bracelet. This is for him, other people or if I am unable to communicate his needs in an emergency. I carry his allergy kit everywhere I go. It is a yellow waterproof dry bag with a copy of his allergy plan inside, antihistamine, inhaler and two epi pens. He has a moderate allergy so isn't one of the kids that can be triggered by the essence of nut. Hope this helps.

I personally would not take anyone with a nut allergy. My husband is rather partial to a bowl of nuts or even if he is feeling exotic some Bombay mix in the evening!!!!!

I used to attend a toddler group where the hall was used by a youth orchestra during the prior evening. I can remember on several occasions finding peanuts on the floor of the hall when we were setting up in the morning.

Our current hall is used by an indoor dog training class the evening before we attend. We have been there in the evening for our AGM, while the class was running. They did look like they cleaned very well, I did see them hoovering their mats really well, but I wonder if you had a child with a dog allergy, what the effects would be using the hall the following morning.

mama2three
20-04-2015, 08:57 AM
I look after a little girl with nut allergy - but it only became apparent on her 2nd birthday after a reaction. She had already been with me for over a year , I wouldn't dream of giving notice based on that.
Weve mad a few changes but nothing too major. Currently trying to source nutfree suncream which agrees with her skin as she also has excema!

k1rstie
20-04-2015, 12:41 PM
I look after a little girl with nut allergy - but it only became apparent on her 2nd birthday after a reaction. She had already been with me for over a year , I wouldn't dream of giving notice based on that.
Weve mad a few changes but nothing too major. Currently trying to source nutfree suncream which agrees with her skin as she also has excema!

Nut free sun cream????? Does sun cream usually contain nuts? Amazing