PDA

View Full Version : why am i useless at this?

kelzunique
03-08-2008, 10:59 AM
can i ask the furthest behind youve got with your accounts? i am months behind and just cant ever seem to keep up with it all! Also, i am useless at keeping reciepts, i always forget or lose them. i really need to get on top of it all.

what sort of routines do you all have to keep up to date?

Pudding Girl
03-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I keep every receipt and as soon as I empty bags I put it in the kitchen cubby hols thing ( wine rack really!!) I have got to catch up too though, you've inspired me to sit and go through all my receipts this afternoon!

kelzunique
03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
thats what im doing now. catching up, and trying to find my reciepts that seem to have grown legs and wandered off on there own.:panic:

Tatia
03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Grab a pocket folder and just bung them all in there. Maybe not the most organized way to keep them but at least they will be there when you need them.

flora
03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I have a box file for minding so all receipts etc go in there. I just bung it in and sort once a year for the tax man :panic:

The farm is the same although I have three cd storage boxes. One for paid, one for unpaid and one for important bits I musn't loose.

As things come in I just house them in the appropriate box.

Have fun :D

cloud9
03-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I pin all my receipts up in an envelope on my notice board and do my accounts every friday when i finish work.

kindredspirits
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
my hubby puts all his reciepts in a box and I end up sorting them out at the end of the tax year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: not going to be making the same mistake with my business!

Trouble
03-08-2008, 09:40 PM
i do get months behind sometimes but i have 4 envelopes in my little box thing and everytime i get a receipt i chuck it in the box and the end of ever week chuck all the ones in the box into one envelope and then do it again for the next 4 weeks

it does help:thumbsup:

miffy
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I have an envelope for every month for receipts - I have been trying to catch up with my accounts today - still haven't finished last years accounts yet :blush:

Miffy xx

Trouble
03-08-2008, 09:48 PM
i havent been sent the forms for this year yet is that normal or do i ring up?????

miffy
03-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I am still doing my tax return for 2007/2008 (from April 2007 to March 2008) - the forms were sent out in April.

It depends when you do your accounts from and to.

Miffy xx

Trouble
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
i sent last years in in may june,

should i ring up or wait?

sorry hate maths stuff

Pipsqueak
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
ahem..... I haven't even started mine for this year....:blush: :blush:

Trouble
03-08-2008, 10:06 PM
i dont know about you 2 but i have to have complete silence when im doing mine,

i usually pack the hubby and kids of to his mums to do mine. and i have been know to sit in the middle of their huge garden and do them as its so big the kids are in the tree house over the other side of the garden their only millie who bothers me and she tries to eat the receipts(shetland Pony):laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I need silence and space - usually have bits of paper everywhere - and lots of time so I can get something done.

Hubby and ds are away this week so hoping to get last years finished at least!

Miffy xx

Trouble
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I need silence and space - usually have bits of paper everywhere - and lots of time so I can get something done.

Hubby and ds are away this week so hoping to get last years finished at least!

Miffy xx

dont forget to eat and sleep:thumbsup:

miffy
03-08-2008, 10:29 PM
dont forget to eat and sleep:thumbsup:

Ha, ha - it's funny but because hubby and ds are away my friend suggested we went out for Sunday lunch (very nice) and then tonight ds1 and girlfriend took me out for another meal!!!!

I am so stuffed I don't think I'll need to eat again all week :laughing:

Miffy xx

Alibali
05-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Tut Tut you lot!! I do mine every friday after the kids leave, there is so much I would forget otherwise, like the ice-creams and the fuel for the shopping trip, not to mention toddler fees etc. You really should get organised. It only takes 5-10 mins a week and then at the end of tax year it still only takes 5 mins instead of panicking about tax returns:)

LOOPYLISA
06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
my hubby puts all his reciepts in a box and I end up sorting them out at the end of the tax year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: not going to be making the same mistake with my business!

Snap:angry:

Mollymop
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Cos I am new and innocent:littleangel: I am a good girl and do my accounts every week.
At the moment I only have a handful of receipts for things over £10 and I put them all in a plastic folder thingy.
I intent on being good and carrying on with my own little routine, but I can't promise anything.

Hannahlg
06-08-2008, 07:17 PM
well me and my mum dont have this problem, my dads is an account so he dose it all i just shove all the respits in folder for him, but he jsur dose it when the tax from comes

but he knows what he is doing so it is quite easy for him to do it yearly

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I have a large plastic folder that all receipts go into even if they possibly aren't childminding related - easier to do this with hubby then try to train him to keep childminding receipts.

Then I have 52 envelopes in clear plastic file dividers in a folder. each plastic sleeve is labelled with them month and each envelope has the relevant week beginning monday - date on it. Then I put them into the computer. At the end of the month I print off the monthly accounts and double check with a calculator and send to the accoutant

The reality is they make it as far as the large palstic folder, when I rememebr I put into the weekly envelopes and then between Christmas and new Year I get caught up and then normally in April I get caught up. Every April I swear I am going to do them daily and do this for about 3 weeks and hten go back to the normal routine:ROFL1:

unfortunately for some reason this year I still haven't got all the info into the compter

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
ahem..... I haven't even started mine for this year....:blush: :blush:

:clapping: I am so glad I am not on my own now I don't feel quite so disorganised

mum22
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I was bad last year, all over the place, for this year i learned my lesson, have a plastic a4 wallet all receipts go in there and on sat am sit and do my accounts -doesnt take long this way

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 07:56 PM
because i am a part time childminder i dont have huge accounts!!!

I have already submitted my tax return for the tax year just ended and have had my bill!!

I must admit though i am sooooo glad my business aint any bigger cos i think i would scream.

cher25
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I only started work in october havent been filling in the ncma accounts book. Have most of the reciepts but know some are missing. Im totally confused by it all and havent yet sent of my tax return. I keep looking at it all and think i dunno if i can handle this side of things.
Keep meaning to get my partners dad to help with that as he is self employed.

cher

fairy cake
28-08-2008, 11:23 PM
There was one year when I had to take my accounts on holiday to finish as I'd left it so late. Ever since then I've kept it up to date. I do them monthly. Then I file them online...much easier. Then you get to find out even quicker how much you owe:panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
29-08-2008, 05:35 AM
A couple of years back I had to do 8 months - groan! It takes me an hour a month by the time I have done the mileage to

so................

now I have a diary which I complete everyday. It takes 5 mins. States what I have done, where I have been and how much I have spent, mileage and I leave the receipts in there (even the ones under £10) until I have time to do them.

This way I have a record of everything however small and hopefully I can keep my tax bill down.

That 5 minutes a day is really worth it.

chels55
29-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Im the same Sandra, i try to do them on a sunday each week. I know i would be in a mess with them if i left them for a month