PDA

View Full Version : Dirty clothes :(

Happiness
16-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Ok so 2 of my new mindees get dropped off quite late in the afternoon around 4pm. The problem is they are so filthy and stinky it really puts me off to have them here. Dad looks after them during the day so probably doesn't care about it too much. They are really lovely people but the thought of their little ones (ages 4 and 1) climbing all over my furniture stresses me out. I really love my house and keep it clean and tidy.
How do I approach the parents about this please? I don't want to sound horrible or disrespectful :(
Any ideas more than welcome . TIA XXXX

AliceK
16-04-2015, 01:14 PM
What sort of smelly is it? Is it an unwashed smell? cigarette smoke smell? damp clothes smell? Do you have any safeguarding concerns at all? Were they the same when they came for their visit??

xx

Maza
16-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Do they bring spare clothes in case of accidents? You could get them to get changed as soon as they get to yours and make them wash their hands and face. I have one who I ask to wash his hands arrive because he usually comes a bit dusty, just from picking up stones/sticks etc on the way. x

lollipop kid
16-04-2015, 02:34 PM
I used to look after a couple of children (from the same family), who were always getting ill with tummy bugs etc. in their early days with me. I noticed one morning that both had 'brown' looking finger-nails on arrival - don't know what it might have been under their nails, but I wasn't taking any chances. :D Funnily enough, Dad dropped off as well. (I'm sure Mum would have made a point of washing them first.)

I promptly made them both wash their hands. I also bought each of them (and the other mindees) really cute nail brushes to use here, and I made them a gift of the same ones to use at home, which they all loved. (Then my biggest job was trying to keep them away from the loo, as they all wanted to wash their hands all the time!)

My routine now is always to get the children to wash their hands as soon as they arrive. (Just in case this is the first chance they've had.)

Regarding your children, I like the suggestion of changing them into fresh clothes when they arrive. Obviously, if you don't have a spare set, just ask the parents. If the children are thriving otherwise, then I wouldn't be overly concerned, but just keep an eye out just in case.

Hope it gets better.

L