View Full Version : Disability

16-04-2015, 08:38 AM
I should be signing contracts and doing paperwork tomorrow with a mum for a little girl who has a minor disability. She has told me it shouldn't really affect her ability to do anything, just she will need extra help with some things. I know I should do a risk assessment to make sure everything is suitable for her. But what other paperwork would I need to do? Are there any specific forms anyone can point me to where I can get mum to write a detailed description of her disability. Also she has a large scar where she has been operated on - do I need to fill in an existing injury form?

16-04-2015, 12:39 PM
I dont know of any specific forms to fill in, but im sure someone here will have one. Im not sure whether an existing injury form is quite right for this situation as its not going to heal. Maybe make a note of it all in the LO's medical history though. That way you always have a record.

16-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I would just ask parent to write down all the information you need to ensure you are able to meet the child's needs :)

17-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks both of you. My first mindee, so I want to get it right :)

17-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Also you need to know if there is any on going issues, e.g. does she have any interactions with other agencies who may need to visit at your house, or need you to feed back to them on any thing that you may be asked to do e.g. exercises, I had this with one of the disabled children I look after, we had all sorts of visitors to try and help him and it was essential that we all worked together to help him move forward.

17-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Is the scar fully healed or is it still healing? If it is still healing or needs any creams applied I would complete an existing injury form. If it's fully healed I wouldn't record it.

What information you ask for really depends on the disability. Is it something that affects them medically and requires treatment? If so, I would put a crae plan in place so you know exactly what to do on a daily basis and in the event of an emergency. I would ask parents to complete a form asking the following sort of questions, but make them relevant to the disability (so you might not need them all). Split it into 3 sections - info about the condition, any adaptations you need to make or treatment you have to give, what to look out for & what to do in an emergency:

Name of the condition

How it affects the child

Name & contact number for consultant/clinic

Any treatment parents do at home

Name of any medication the child is on

Any routine treatment you will need to do

Any special requirements in resources, feeding, sleeping etc

Anything you should look out for (with one child I minded I had to look out for reddening & hardening of his skin)

What to do in an emergency (eg. with the above child I would have had to phone the consultant & get him in an ambulance to hospital before I even contacted parents)

Just make sure you get as much information from parents as you can and don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand something or need further clarification.

17-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm being vague about the disability because I'm conscious of confidentiality. I will make up a form with some of the ideas you've given me and be sure to ask as many questions as possible.