PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about free range parenting

smurfette
15-04-2015, 02:41 PM
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-04-13/seven-reasons-we-hate-free-range-parenting

Mouse
15-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Yes, interesting.

I remember one of our "treats" when we were younger was to go the the pub with my parents when they had meetings there. We were left in the car in the carpark and every now & again dad would come out with a bag of crisps and bottle of coke for us. We loved it!

I wonder what would happen nowadays if a parent did that? I bet there would at least be one person who would complain. When did it become "wrong" rather than being totally acceptable?

loocyloo
15-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Very interesting.
I'm lucky ... i live in an area where children do 'free range' quite a bit and most adults keep an eye out. But we are quite rural.

chris goodyear
15-04-2015, 05:14 PM
We used to do the same Mouse and what a treat it was! Didn't happen often . I also remember there were a lot of stray dogs roaming around where we lived and further afield so I think it's safer now for kids than when we were little - my brother did get bitten once on his way back to school after lunch so if on my walk to school (alone) I saw a dog in the distance I would go up to any man fixing his car on the verge (there were always men doing that) and ask if I could stay there until the dog had gone! I know the traffic then wasn't what it is now but kids are taught more about roads and traffic than we ever were. I feel sorry for kids these days as they don't have the freedom that we had and what sort of adults will they be if they are never allowed to take risks or work things out for themselves. I would even go as far as to say some parents (not all by any means) are much too protective than they should be and as a childminder I give my mindees lots of free play time because when I think back there's no way I would have wanted my mum to play with me all the time. Nice to have had stories and cuddles, watching films together and maybe board games but constantly? No way!!