PDA

View Full Version : Help with space!!!

Tnmarsh
14-04-2015, 09:23 AM
I am looking at setting up a childminding business at a purpose built unit at the bottom of my garden. The space will include a small kitchen and also a single toilet. The floor space available is what is confusing me. I am hoping to join forces with another child minder in the area and jointly both use the facility so ideally we need to be large enough to take our full capacity.

I have a few options but the smallest building would be 26.1 square meters? But I could go as large as 61.07 square meters. Both options leave plenty of outdoor space which will be fences off from the rest of the garden for additional safety.

Can someone help me work out what capacity I can have? I have read the 3.5 square meters but does that equate to a square footage of 1.87m x 1.87m

Also as there will be 2 childminders working at the property, would we be able to take in an assistant if needed with the space?

moggy
14-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Careful about using a space only for CMing- CMing is on 'domestic' property, ie spaces you use as a family. Do you have your own children? If so you can say it is your family's playroom too. I am sure other's can advise better than me, I just remember reading something about it.
Also check with your LA about so many CMers/assistants and total number of children- some LA planning depts have something to say on the matter. And your neighbours too!

The easiest way to think of an area of 3.5sq meters is to think of it a rectangle of 1m x 3.5m. Easy to draw up a plan on squared paper that way- I am a visual thinker so to plan a new building I would be cutting out paper rectangles (1cm to a meter, so 1cm x 3.5cm) for each 'child' and laying them out on squared paper!

Remember any older children must not negatively impact the EYFS children so they need their own space too, if you are planning on caring for older ones (amount of space for older ones is not specified though)

Good luck with the idea!

sarah707
14-04-2015, 07:33 PM
This might help - Space Requirements (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/space-requirements-eyfs.html)

Tnmarsh
19-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Hi moggy

Thanks for that. I have a daughter and my friend cares for her granddaughter, both during school holidays and we've accounted for this in our allowance of children. Do you think that we would be better theoretically using this play area on weekends and evenings when we register?

Careful about using a space only for CMing- CMing is on 'domestic' property, ie spaces you use as a family. Do you have your own children? If so you can say it is your family's playroom too. I am sure other's can advise better than me, I just remember reading something about it.
Also check with your LA about so many CMers/assistants and total number of children- some LA planning depts have something to say on the matter. And your neighbours too!

The easiest way to think of an area of 3.5sq meters is to think of it a rectangle of 1m x 3.5m. Easy to draw up a plan on squared paper that way- I am a visual thinker so to plan a new building I would be cutting out paper rectangles (1cm to a meter, so 1cm x 3.5cm) for each 'child' and laying them out on squared paper!

Remember any older children must not negatively impact the EYFS children so they need their own space too, if you are planning on caring for older ones (amount of space for older ones is not specified though)

Good luck with the idea!

moggy
19-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Hi moggy

Thanks for that. I have a daughter and my friend cares for her granddaughter, both during school holidays and we've accounted for this in our allowance of children. Do you think that we would be better theoretically using this play area on weekends and evenings when we register?

I can't remember exactly where or what I read about this- maybe Sarah707 can help (you could message her) as she is a wealth of knowledge. Or maybe someone will come along and help on this thread. Lots of people use summer houses so I am sure it is perfectly do-able.

You could ask your Local Authority planning dept or early years team for their advise.

You also asked about assistants- you can work at home as a CMer with up to 2 other people, see here:
https://www.gov.uk/register-childminder-childcare-provider/what-to-register-as

FloraDora
19-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Not a vast amount of knowledge but I think you may have to sometimes use your own home too...otherwise it will not count as being on domestic premises?

Also, most of my parents have chosen me because they want their child to be in a home setting, I have two families on my waiting list because their current childminder has moved in to a garage space/ built a play room and are concerned their children are confined to a one room and toilet situation now.

moggy
19-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Not a vast amount of knowledge but I think you may have to sometimes use your own home too...otherwise it will not count as being on domestic premises?

Also, most of my parents have chosen me because they want their child to be in a home setting, I have two families on my waiting list because their current childminder has moved in to a garage space/ built a play room and are concerned their children are confined to a one room and toilet situation now.

That is interesting- yes, my families love the fact the children are part of the family in the family home, I do not even have a separate playroom.

You will need to think about whether you are appealing to those who want a 'nursery' set up, or if there is a way to keep it feeling like a family home for those who want that and who have purposefully chosen a CM because they do not want their child in a nursery-environment.

I am glad I am not imagining that thing about the space being part of your family-used home, Flora! Is it something to do with 'business' use of property as it is like you are setting up a small, separate 'nursery' on your property rather than caring for children in your home... I will be relived to hear from someone who knows as it is bugging me now!