PDA

View Full Version : Toy safety check

mumofone
11-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Do you do these and record your findings? How often do you do them? I was going to do a daily visual check when games are out etc but then maybe a more thorough one once a week?

Mouse
11-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Don't create more work for yourself than you need to.

What would a weekly check achieve? If a toy wasn't broken when you got it out, or put it away, it's not likely to get broken sat on a shelf or in a box.

I instinctively check resources as I get them out, as I put them away and while they're being played with. The children are also very good at telling me if something break while they are playing with it. We decide together whether it needs mending (some bits fall off and can be left off), if it can be mended and how we can mend it. The children know we have different glue for wood and plastic and that I can sew toys fabric toys to mend them. They love helping stick toys back together, then leaving them on the shelf till they're dry.

If you are undecided on any paperwork or procedure think to yourself:

is this compulsory?
will it benefit the children?
will it benefit me?
am I only doing it for Ofsted?

If I answer "yes" to any of the first three then I go along with it. If I get to the bottom of the list before I can answer "yes" then I ditch the idea!!