PDA

View Full Version : Childminder "drop ins"

mumofone
11-04-2015, 12:11 PM
As a new childminder, what can I expect from these? I think OFSTED expect you to go don't they? How often should I go to them?

blue bear
11-04-2015, 12:14 PM
A drop in is much like a toddler group, some are run brilliantly others not so. Generally activities for the children and a snack. Some activities might be more structured with song time, story time, messy play etc,others are more a free for all.

Mouse
11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
It really depends on the group. If they're at all like ours you'll be made to feel very welcome, will be invited on nights out, will get a lot of support, will make new friends and will have others childminders actively helping you find work - but then we're a very friendly bunch :D
If they're like some, you'll be ignored, treated with suspicion and made to feel like you'll never fit in unless you tow the line and do as you're told!

I really wouldn't worry about whether or not Ofsted expects you to go to them. It's not written anywhere in the EYFS that you have to attend toddler groups, so they can't judge you on that. You need to consider what you & the children will get out of going, what purpose they serve and if there's a different way of getting the same benefits.

It's definitely worth going along and seeing what any groups are like. Hopefully you'll be lucky and have a supportive group near you :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mumofone
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
The next one is at a time when I don't have a mindee just my own child, would j still be accepted dyou think?

Maza
11-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Mine is on the other side of the borough and so I have never been. I would have to take two buses to get there. Ofsted never questioned the fact that I don't go to them.

There are amazing playgroups within a couple of minutes walk from my house and offer me everything I need. Ofsted do like you to get out and about, and this usually includes playgroups, but there are quite a few childminders on here who don't go to groups for whatever reason and that's also fine.

Just go along and see. If you don't like it try and find a different group. Mine are varied. One is a Sure Start group which has excellent facilities and activities on offer. Another is run in a church hall by two retired ladies. They have donated toys to play with and nothing is structured but they still love going and get a lot out of both playgroups.x

Mouse
11-04-2015, 01:25 PM
The next one is at a time when I don't have a mindee just my own child, would j still be accepted dyou think?

I don't see why not.

At our group we welcome everyone - existing childminders, new minders (with or without children), people thinking of setting up as childminders.

To be honest, if they don't welcome you just because you don't have any minded children with you, I'd steer clear of them.

FloraDora
11-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Ofsted only are interested in you going to groups to keep updated/ share good practise etc... It's a way you can evidence sharing good practice, reviewing and reflecting in collaboration with other outstanding practitioners etc...

I do not attend any currently, discussed with mrs O (can't remember who started the conversation) and said I don't attend and gave reasons: grandparents/ parents take to bigger groups/ group I attended was for a specific reason, speech therapy, no longer needed so don't attend/ wasn't happy with a nearby group for H&S and what the children would get out of it/ did go to a local forest school type one, but feel the children get more from my own FS activities together than in a bigger group. I think what she was happy with was the fact that I was thinking about what the children would gain from attending the groups, not just attending for the sake of it. I have no full timers.

I find that I can provide a better quality morning of activities than any of the local groups, they get their playgroup type of play with their parents or grandparents on other days. One group I attended a CM said she goes to groups everyday because it's easier than being at home, but I just don't sit comfortably with this as my environment and planning is linked to children's personal next steps, some of which would be difficult to cover if I was at a playgroup.
I do however get out and about in the environment daily, nature reserve, lake, playground, field, library van, shops, canal, fire station, garden centre with pet corner, post office to post letters etc...so the children are not stuck inside all day, they have a change of scenery and experience people who help us etc...

Maza
11-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Ofsted only are interested in you going to groups to keep updated/ share good practise etc... It's a way you can evidence sharing good practice, reviewing and reflecting in collaboration with other outstanding practitioners etc...

I do not attend any currently, discussed with mrs O (can't remember who started the conversation) and said I don't attend and gave reasons: grandparents/ parents take to bigger groups/ group I attended was for a specific reason, speech therapy, no longer needed so don't attend/ wasn't happy with a nearby group for H&S and what the children would get out of it/ did go to a local forest school type one, but feel the children get more from my own FS activities together than in a bigger group. I think what she was happy with was the fact that I was thinking about what the children would gain from attending the groups, not just attending for the sake of it. I have no full timers.

I find that I can provide a better quality morning of activities than any of the local groups, they get their playgroup type of play with their parents or grandparents on other days. One group I attended a CM said she goes to groups everyday because it's easier than being at home, but I just don't sit comfortably with this as my environment and planning is linked to children's personal next steps, some of which would be difficult to cover if I was at a playgroup.
I do however get out and about in the environment daily, nature reserve, lake, playground, field, library van, shops, canal, fire station, garden centre with pet corner, post office to post letters etc...so the children are not stuck inside all day, they have a change of scenery and experience people who help us etc...

Funnily enough, mrs O did ask me if I attended story time at the library. I said no and gave reasons (really monotone librarian, too many children, mums chatting during story, little ones standing at the front so no one else could see etc.) I knew that they would get far more from our little story sessions at home. We visit the library most weeks but avoid story time. As long as you can justify what you do and don't do you will be fine.

FloraDora
11-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Funnily enough, mrs O did ask me if I attended story time at the library. I said no and gave reasons (really monotone librarian, too many children, mums chatting during story, little ones standing at the front so no one else could see etc.) I knew that they would get far more from our little story sessions at home. We visit the library most weeks but avoid story time. As long as you can justify what you do and don't do you will be fine.

Sounds exactly like our library storytime!