PDA

View Full Version : Snack issues!

mumofone
10-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Before my mindee started I got a list of their food likes and dislikes and have tried to cater for these. I gave them strawberries on their first day (they wanted the whole punnet!) and now requests strawberries every day. I'm not buying them all the time because they are expensive so I offer the other things they said they liked but they turn their nose up at. Should I sit down and revisit their likes and dislikes with them? Do you offer whatever snack is on the 'menu' that day or give them choices?

FussyElmo
10-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Before my mindee started I got a list of their food likes and dislikes and have tried to cater for these. I gave them strawberries on their first day (they wanted the whole punnet!) and now requests strawberries every day. I'm not buying them all the time because they are expensive so I offer the other things they said they liked but they turn their nose up at. Should I sit down and revisit their likes and dislikes with them? Do you offer whatever snack is on the 'menu' that day or give them choices?

They have whatever snack I put out unless I know they don't like them.

See this from the child perspective strawberries are one of the nicest fruits of course they want them. My DD would eat do many she would turn into one

lisbet
10-04-2015, 11:12 AM
I would love to offer a variety of fruit for the children to pick from like they do in group settings, but I would have a lot of fruit left over, so I just tend to offer one fruit/ vegetable at each snack time. I try and make sure that the children that only like certain types will have something they like at least once during the day. I always put the the fruit/ veg on their plate so that it is there for them to try if they want (or at least get used to seeing on their plate!) but I never push them to eat it and there is always a carbohydrate element to the snack too so they will get something in their tummies to keep them going until the next meal time.

tess1981
10-04-2015, 11:20 AM
One child here would only eat fruit toast and plain pasta if I let her .. I avoid food I know she does not eat and offer ones I know she has eaten loads of times but like your little one demands the same food or snack bit is told we are having that on Monday or tomorrow or what ever day I plan it . .. I tend to stick to apples bananas strawberries oranges grapes and melon and the more expensive fruit is bought when in season or on special offer so for the likes of strawberries these are not offered every week .. plus I'm on slimming world so do tend to have strawberries but out of sight all other fruit in the fruit bowl so they can choose to an extent what they want

hectors house
10-04-2015, 12:02 PM
For snack I generally do a piece of fruit per child - so 3 children - I cut up an apple, banana, handful of grapes and share it out between them. I sprinkle more expensive fruit like strawberries and blueberries chopped up on top of their custard or fromage frais they have for pudding. I tend to find that children will try different fruits with me because they copy the other children.

Maza
10-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Is this your 6 year old mindee? If it is then I think she is being a bit rude. If it is a younger toddler then it is more understanding. I would be firm and say "no we don't have strawberries today, but you could have an apple or a banana. None of those? Okay then, it will be lunch time in a couple of hours".

I often give a choice - but only one choice - take it or leave it. Yes, I would visit likes and dislikes with the child again and explain the boundaries of snack time and meal time. Do it now before it becomes a habit which will just gnaw away at you.

mumofone
10-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Is this your 6 year old mindee? If it is then I think she is being a bit rude. If it is a younger toddler then it is more understanding. I would be firm and say "no we don't have strawberries today, but you could have an apple or a banana. None of those? Okay then, it will be lunch time in a couple of hours". I often give a choice - but only one choice - take it or leave it. Yes, I would visit likes and dislikes with the child again and explain the boundaries of snack time and meal time. Do it now before it becomes a habit which will just gnaw away at you.

Yep the 6 year old! :-) I can't buy in everything just incase each week as it would result in loads of waste (and money!) and she's currently my only mindee, she's only with me for one snack time (no meals) but I'm annoyed she's turning her nose up at what I offer her because I specifically bought stuff she said she liked! I'll ask her again what she likes and see where I go from there!

Maza
10-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Yep the 6 year old! :-) I can't buy in everything just incase each week as it would result in loads of waste (and money!) and she's currently my only mindee, she's only with me for one snack time (no meals) but I'm annoyed she's turning her nose up at what I offer her because I specifically bought stuff she said she liked! I'll ask her again what she likes and see where I go from there!

Just continue buying the amount of fruit that you would have in anyway for your own family (obviously if it includes the stuff she likes). I think often it is the way they turn down what we offer them which annoys us. If they politely said "no thank you" then it wouldn't grate so much. I have had to work hard with my daughter on that one! Then again, I am her mum and she can be 'cheeky' with me to a point, but wouldn't dare be rude to another adult. Mt nephew, who I love dearly, is the fussiest eater and whatever I offer him at my house he turns on his 'pathetic, poor me' body language. I can't stand it but my sister panders to it. Just because he isn't throwing rude words at me doesn't mean he isn't being rude! Sorry, rant over! x

tess1981
10-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Just continue buying the amount of fruit that you would have in anyway for your own family (obviously if it includes the stuff she likes). I think often it is the way they turn down what we offer them which annoys us. If they politely said "no thank you" then it wouldn't grate so much. I have had to work hard with my daughter on that one! Then again, I am her mum and she can be 'cheeky' with me to a point, but wouldn't dare be rude to another adult. Mt nephew, who I love dearly, is the fussiest eater and whatever I offer him at my house he turns on his 'pathetic, poor me' body language. I can't stand it but my sister panders to it. Just because he isn't throwing rude words at me doesn't mean he isn't being rude! Sorry, rant over! x

This is a bug bear if mine.. They often say no to something in the hope we will give them something else they would rather have if they have eaten it before then I know they like it and I don't offer something different I have a friend who I watched make 3 different things for her 3 yo... He asked for them all then didn't want them... and she is an early years establishment owner....

loocyloo
10-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I have a sign in my kitchen ' you have 2 choices . take it or leave it ' !!!

I may offer a choice, but that is my decision, and I don't offer anything different if food that is usually eaten is refused!

I too have seen many parents prepare several meals on a child's orders, for none of them to be eaten, and for the parent to think it is acceptable :panic: and then to excuse the child with a ' well, they don't like xyz ' ( well, why did you make it for them then? !!! )

bunyip
10-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Do what you do.......................

......................but start with a very large compost bin. :rolleyes:

mumofone
11-04-2015, 07:46 AM
If they say they don't want what you offer do you then say ok then and not offer anything else? Ie. They eat what's on offer or go without?

JoRo163
11-04-2015, 08:07 AM
If they say they don't want what you offer do you then say ok then and not offer anything else? Ie. They eat what's on offer or go without?

This is absolutely what I do! Usually what happens is they refuse fruit, ask for something else, I say no - fruit or nothing & then they eat the fruit!

natlou82
11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Yes I agree I have a snack prepared, if that's refused they are offered a fruit alternative if they refuse that they wait until next meal. I learnt very quickly that food can cause quite a lot of stress. The same with main meals I have a list of likes and dislikes and plan my weekly menu around this, if something is then refused then I don't offer an alternative to my school aged children.

smurfette
12-04-2015, 08:45 AM
I have a mindee with bad constipation, so I have had to be quite strict with him, he doesn't drink water at home but here I insist he finishes a cup before he gets down each meal time. For snacks he loves the carbs like breadsticks and yoghurts so I have started saying he must eat the fruit first then he can have that. There are a couple of fruits I know he really doesn't like but some he just can't be bothered to eat and he has now discovered he does like them. Last week he said to me 'I don't like fruit' (he is 3 so am guessing it's something he has heard said about him rather that a fact) I said to him.. Well you like bananas that's a fruit, and raisins those are fruit , and strawberries and apples those are fruit! He was surprised! If he is home for any stretch he has a bout of constipation because mum isn't strict on this but when he is with me he is usually grand.

moggy
12-04-2015, 07:08 PM

Yes, same with meals, eat what is on offer or leave it but no alternatives. I always make sure something they like is there.

Of course we would all like to eat strawberries everyday! But we don't.
Strawberries would be a real treat here and we only have homegrown and in season!... but apples, bananas, kiwi, pears- loads of economical options.

I give a choice- apple or banana today? or a bit of both is fine.

I think this 6yo is trying it on- why settle for apples when she has seen you can provide strawberries!!?? Stick to how you want to do it long term. They will get used to it. And do not take any cheeky behaviour or attitudes, start as you mean to go on. If they were cheeky about what was on offer they would go without here (they will not starve due to lack of snack!). You are in charge.

TinyTinker
14-04-2015, 09:13 AM
I tend to share out one piece of fruit between 2-3 mindees so that they get say a bit of banana, a piece of apple a couple of orange segments, few grapes etc - so they get more than one type, but not the whole thing! seems to go down ok :)