PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with a five year old.....

kittyrainbow
10-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Hello I have recently started looking after a five year old who would be lovely to look after if he was the only one. My problem is that he is so needy for attention, talks constantly, wants me to praise him a lot etc. If I am not quick to answer him or go to him he calls out louder and repeats over and over. Trouble is that I look after quite a few toddlers so my attention can never fully be with him even though he is always included. I have tried explaining to him that sometimes I have to do other things with the toddlers and that If he can give me a few minute I will come and sit with him, but he doesn't seem to take this on board, he just gets louder and more demanding. Feel drained when he is with me, any advice?

tess1981
10-04-2015, 08:03 AM
I find the older a child starts at my setting the harder they can be... patience is a must here.. keep repeating your house rules and saying indoor voices... explain (over and over) that when he asks you something you will answer but you also have others to attend to and that his getting louder and louder means you will not answer until he stops it.... praise ever little understanding and following of these rules and he will get there... give hi. Wee jobs to do like hand you nappies set the table with a reward chart maybe.... and finally remember it will get better

kittyrainbow
10-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Thank You Tess, I sort of feel that way too, in that I don't want to give up on him before I have given him a chance. I am sure the job satisfaction will come once he understands how to fit in. Well that is the hope:) All a learning curve I suppose, I am only a few weeks into being a child-minder. I will defo keep repeating the rules to him and I will try to involve him in tasks in the home xx

tess1981
10-04-2015, 11:15 AM
And you will find even the younger ones grasp your rules quickly .. I had a 1yo start with me and mum said you will want to move your ornaments as she always Pulling at her ones and she had to move them... mum was surprised I never moved them just told little one they where for decorations and not toys and she never bothered with them... Other children are model children here and complete nightmares at home... One mum pulling her hair out at home and they are so good here

kittyrainbow
10-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I will let you know in a few weeks how things are going with this boy, I have patience by the bucket load and a huge supply of ibuprofen for my head:) the little ones I look after do really seem to be more accepting of the rules and routine of things. xx

tess1981
10-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Wine helps or you favourite tipple.. obviously after all the children leave lol for.some reason it seems to be against the rules to drink and mind children at the same time :(