PDA

View Full Version : General Election 2015

kt88
09-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Hello, first post!

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but as a political novice I was wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the effects on childminders in the upcoming election in May.

I know for example Labour plan to increase free childcare hours, but also want to guarantee 8am to 6pm care in primary schools....and is anything likely to happen regarding childminder agencies?

If anyone has any knowledge or opinions on how each party's policies will effect childminders, I'd love to hear them! :)

Katy

sarah707
09-04-2015, 05:31 PM
I came across this the other day it might be of interest!

General election 2015 fact-sheets on childcare | Family and Childcare Trust (http://www.familyandchildcaretrust.org/election)

Welcome to the forum :D

bunyip
10-04-2015, 08:45 AM
The problem with elections is, no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in. :(

We only used to have 2 different types of self-serving morons to worry about: now it looks like they come in at least seven different varieties. :eek:

Of the door-knocking idiots I've had in the last 2 weeks................

Neither the Toryscum nor the Lie-beral Demo-ron appeared to know if they even had a childcare policy.
The New Lie-bour apologist for illegal wars was very excited by their "Free" Childcare policy until he had to listen to my exposition of how it wasn't "free", wasn't for all 3yo's, etc. etc. and especially how many CMs are likely to drop out of the scheme altogether if we're expected to subsidise even more hours of care for parents who are better off than us, whilst we scrape by on profits which barely equate to half the national minimum wage. :mad:

The UK Intolerance Party guy was very happy to tell me it's all the fault of immigrants and that Jerusalem will definitely be builded here in England's green, unpleasant land..........................just as soon as we send 'em all back and brick up the entrance to the Channel Tunnel. No wonder they're the BNP and National Front's party of choice. :p

Still waiting for Plaid Cymru and Plaid Tartan to show up.

HTSMumma
10-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Vote for the Greens and get solar panel roads with led lights*! Who cares about their childcare policies?!?!

*this may be fiction.

Simona
10-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Hello, first post!

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but as a political novice I was wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the effects on childminders in the upcoming election in May.

I know for example Labour plan to increase free childcare hours, but also want to guarantee 8am to 6pm care in primary schools....and is anything likely to happen regarding childminder agencies?

If anyone has any knowledge or opinions on how each party's policies will effect childminders, I'd love to hear them! :)

Katy

The Tories will continue to push agencies because it is such a good idea and CMs back them fully!!!:(
They have already demanded that schools provide 8-6pm care...Truss did because she was a bit clueless and is not doing a better job at her new govt dept trying to save our cheese!
They know we are underfunded but blame the LAs for keeping their hands on govt funding instead on passing it to us
They want school led Early Education
Gove wanted children in schools all day and shorter holidays
Nicky Morgan is still thinking about what British values stand for so we can answer Ofsted.
Sam Gyimah wants us to be 'creative' with funding we get because ...there is no more coming!

Labour have costed the 25 hrs via the bank levy but will not tell us if it means more funding for us...if not it will be a joy to sustain our business.
They will reopen the Sure Start and make more childcare available
On agencies...there is not a clue there despite their reservations at the start.
They want to reduce Ofsted remit...uh!!

Lib Dems have promised 'free childcare' for all 2 year olds and an increase for the Pupil Premium for EY.
Agencies...they agreed on them
They too know about underfunding but blame the LAs too.

All 3 agree on Baseline Assessment, all seem to agree 2 year olds are better in school.

The Greens want formal schooling to start at 6...no Ofsted inspections...no testing children...all good ones!
UKIP...I have not got a clue

Roll on May 8th!

rickysmiths
10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Golly some of you are lucky. Not had a knock on the door yet mind you with the average intelligence of most of the candidates they don't see a front door on the drive side of the house and can't work out it is round the side!!

We have had one Consevative leaflet for a candidate I have never heard of in the 10 years I have lived here but she is an ex childcare worker. Yipee! :laughing:

Mouse
10-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Golly some of you are lucky. Not had a knock on the door yet mind you with the average intelligence of most of the candidates they don't see a front door on the drive side of the house and can't work out it is round the side!!

We have had one Consevative leaflet for a candidate I have never heard of in the 10 years I have lived here but she is an ex childcare worker. Yipee! :laughing:

Today I had a Labour leaflet, a UKIP leaflet and a Pizza Hut leaflet come through the letterbox. Two went straight in the bin & one I kept...guess which one :laughing:

bunyip
10-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Today I had a Labour leaflet, a UKIP leaflet and a Pizza Hut leaflet come through the letterbox. Two went straight in the bin & one I kept...guess which one :laughing:

I'd consider voting for them if only they'd put up a candidate. :D

bunyip
10-04-2015, 07:31 PM
UKIP...I have not got a clue

You may find that sentence reads better without the "I". :rolleyes:

FloraDora
10-04-2015, 07:32 PM
I love all the Green Party policy ideas- but haven't a clue how they will fund it and unfortunately I am not sure that they do either!
Had lots of leaflets but no one knocking yet...I await this with my list of questions and my value judgement side!

Big discussions in our house, both boys studied politics within their degree subjects and so knowledgable and therefore keep me on my toes in debates!

I cannot see myself voting for any party who still gives Gove air time!

DH and I read the BBC everyday, then guardian, independent and I read Daily mail on line ( DH will not go any where near this!) then we discuss the daily round up...oldest Skypes or emails from South America and puts his argument forward, youngest phones and discusses.....I end up in a dilemma... Roll on May!

Want to concentrate on childcare ..but need to look at everything....and what will be affecting me in 5 years....and for my lads and their future.... Big decisions ahead....

bunyip
10-04-2015, 07:41 PM
I love all the Green Party policy ideas- but haven't a clue how they will fund it and unfortunately I am not sure that they do either!

Maybe they could put a heavy tax on hand-knitted vegan muesli? :rolleyes: (I hear the SNP will be funding their policies by increasing VAT on deep-fried Mars bars.)

The fact that the UK's largest oilfield has just been discovered a few miles north of a Green Party constituency and just before an election has me wondering if maybe there is a god after all............ and maybe she has a great sense of humour coupled with exceptional geological timing. :clapping:

I just hope it doesn't mean we have to join the Americans and find a spurious excuse to declare war on ourselves. :panic:

loocyloo
10-04-2015, 08:28 PM
We've had liberals and conservatives at the door. And had good chats even if not that clear on child related policies!

I was getting children out of the car and 6 yes 6 people with labour rosettes on walked past ... I was all ready to say 'sorry, no time to talk' but they didn't even glance in my direction!
So they can't have been local 'cos everyone here says hello to everyone ... whether you know them or not! My mum said they would have ignored our house as it's detached and not on a housing estate!

Simona
11-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Had lots of leaflets but no one knocking yet...I await this with my list of questions and my value judgement side!

Big discussions in our house, both boys studied politics within their degree subjects and so knowledgable and therefore keep me on my toes in debates!

I cannot see myself voting for any party who still gives Gove air time!

DH and I read the BBC everyday, then guardian, independent and I read Daily mail on line ( DH will not go any where near this!) then we discuss the daily round up...oldest Skypes or emails from South America and puts his argument forward, youngest phones and discusses.....I end up in a dilemma... Roll on May!

Want to concentrate on childcare ..but need to look at everything....and what will be affecting me in 5 years....and for my lads and their future.... Big decisions ahead....

If the Green had a chance to win the election and they did indeed scrap Trident....they.....and the whole country.... would be awash with money and we could fund all their policies fromm NHS to education and the environment....and if Caroline Lucas had remained their Leader the chance would be even greater.

Did you see Lucas at Question Time next to Truss?...I wondered how Truss could ever be given any role in education :mad:
Sorry for the deviation everyone.

FloraDora
11-04-2015, 11:27 AM
If the Green had a chance to win the election and they did indeed scrap Trident....they.....and the whole country.... would be awash with money and we could fund all their policies fromm NHS to education and the environment....and if Caroline Lucas had remained their Leader the chance would be even greater.

Did you see Lucas at Question Time next to Truss?...I wondered how Truss could ever be given any role in education :mad:
Sorry for the deviation everyone.

My oldest lived in Brighton before his world travels , he and a lot of Brighton think Caroline Lucas is wonderful...her MEP reputation is good too. Apparantly she stepped down from leadership due to big local issues taking up her time and to allow the Green Party to blossom beyond the Caroline Lucas party. Agree she outshone on QT. I never found Truss confident in a bigger than a few audience, she is more know the policies and not brilliant at talking beyond or out of the party rehearsed lines.

Trident? Agree about costs, but also don't want to be left behind in the Nuclear issues and feel happier when we can match the enemy in our weaponry....if only there was no chance of us needing it in the nuclear stakes around the world.

Sat reading the weekend round up of the parties this morning and again not entirely able to make a confident vote for one party yet! It doesn't help that locally my vote would be for one person who stands out for me as taking local issues forward ( I have had a professional relationship with all candidates - Chris Pincher and I often agreed to disagree over local education issues, I think he considered me a pain) but not their national party to lead the country!
This indecision will go on and on I think until May 8th .

Mouse
13-04-2015, 12:30 PM
More support with childcare – The Labour Party (http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/childcare)

This gives details of the labour pledge on childcare.

I wonder where places would come from for each 3 & 4 year old to get 25 hours a week funding. Many nurseries offer 3 hour sessions 5 days a week - one lot of children in the morning, another lot in the afternoon. Would they be expected to offer 5 hour sessions, 5 days a week? They couldn't do that for 2 lots of children unless they offered sessions 8am-1pm and 1pm-6pm. I can't see them wanting to do that!!

And the primary childcare guarantee looks interesting - but the primary school heads will love being responsible for arranging wrap around childcare for every parents that wants it!

bunyip
13-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Mouse, that's pretty much what one of my clients (a nursery deputy manager) also found risible about New Lie-bour's 25 hours "free" childcare pledge.

Her nursery offers 3-hour funded sessions and they cannot practically offer any more.

Our local preschool is only open 3 hours a day. They looked at extending this but cannot due to the prohibitive rental costs and/or other community groups using the premises.

I and most the local CMs to whom I've spoken cannot afford to subsidise an extra 10 hours for every 3&4yo whilst the LA continues to pay a ridiculously low rate for "free" childcare.

BUT the LA will only let settings onto the scheme if they agree to offer the full 15 hours entitlement. I imagine if the entitlement were raised to 25 hours, then the LA would only allow us to offer the full 25 hours or make us withdraw from the scheme.

So the net result of yet another ill-considered populist soundbite would be a severe shortage of settings able to offer any "free" childcare hours whatsoever. :(

HTSMumma
13-04-2015, 04:37 PM
The Green Party:

SW304 Childminders will continue to be registered and monitored, with free training, including training in nutrition, given to all. We recognise that childminders often have a low income and are seen as having a low social status. We believe that bringing up children is a very important job, and would seek to improve the standing of childminders whilst making sure that they earn a living wage for what is a demanding job, while maintaining the affordability of care.

SW305 Nurseries and children’s centres will be monitored for quality of care and the information made readily available. Special attention will be given to ratios of adult carers to children. Nursery staff will be given adequate training, including training in nutrition.

SW306 Nannies will be registered on a national register, enabling families to check the suitability of their potential employee. The treatment of au pairs will be regulated to stop them from being exploited by their employers.

SW307 Working grandparents will be given the same right to request flexi-work as parents if caring for grandchildren.

SW308 We will provide free universal early education and childcare from age 1 up to age 6 (5 while that remains the age of formal education starting), with parental participation strongly encouraged for younger children. Universal provision will be designed to give parents and carers as much flexibility as possible in terms of times and locations. The provision of occasional ‘ad hoc’ care will be encouraged and facilitated. Special attention will be paid to the needs of disabled children. This will be overseen by a cabinet-level, cross-departmental minister for childcare.

SW309 Children’s centres will engage in active outreach work to make contact with socially excluded families to ensure that their children's development is not endangered and to encourage the parents and carers to access free local activities for children.

SW310 Parents and carers in a community will be encouraged to set up networks of babysitters and playgroups. This would aid both children’s development and community cohesion.

bunyip
13-04-2015, 04:40 PM
OMG if the Greens are going to "train" us in nutrition we can all throw away our red chopping boards. :p

More lettuce anyone? :panic:

Mouse
13-04-2015, 04:53 PM
I think the Green Party can promise the earth (excuse the pun) because they're never going to have to deliver on their promises :rolleyes:

FloraDora
13-04-2015, 05:44 PM
What a nightmare SW307 would be to employers.....it was very difficult to always accomodate parents on flexible working hours, let alone grandparents too!
Nice idea, but in reality the country cannot run ( especially public servants) on everybody working only 3 days a week.

Maza
13-04-2015, 06:32 PM
What a nightmare SW307 would be to employers.....it was very difficult to always accomodate parents on flexible working hours, let alone grandparents too!
Nice idea, but in reality the country cannot run ( especially public servants) on everybody working only 3 days a week.

I like the word 'request'. They can request the hours but presumably employers are not obliged to grant flexible working hours. I think they also said that they were going to 'tax the 'rich' 60 percent'. Mmmm, brain drain invitation.

bunyip
13-04-2015, 07:27 PM
I think the Green Party can promise the earth (excuse the pun) because they're never going to have to deliver on their promises :rolleyes:

Anybody remember how the Lib-Demorons were going to change the face of politics? ..............and all we got was the ConDemNation.

Anybody still "agree with Nick." ??? :laughing:

Simona
14-04-2015, 08:11 AM
More support with childcare – The Labour Party (http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/childcare)

This gives details of the labour pledge on childcare.

I wonder where places would come from for each 3 & 4 year old to get 25 hours a week funding. Many nurseries offer 3 hour sessions 5 days a week - one lot of children in the morning, another lot in the afternoon. Would they be expected to offer 5 hour sessions, 5 days a week? They couldn't do that for 2 lots of children unless they offered sessions 8am-1pm and 1pm-6pm. I can't see them wanting to do that!!

And the primary childcare guarantee looks interesting - but the primary school heads will love being responsible for arranging wrap around childcare for every parents that wants it!

I would like to find out more about the National Primary Childcare Service formally announced yesterday...apparently it is going to be run by volunteers?

Mouse
14-04-2015, 09:22 AM
I would like to find out more about the National Primary Childcare Service formally announced yesterday...apparently it is going to be run by volunteers?

I've seen two reports. One says it will be run by volunteers, the other says it will be a not for profit organisation, not the same thing as being run by volunteers. It'll be interesting to see if any more details emerge.

Simona
14-04-2015, 10:53 AM
I've seen two reports. One says it will be run by volunteers, the other says it will be a not for profit organisation, not the same thing as being run by volunteers. It'll be interesting to see if any more details emerge.

I have ploughed through the Labour Manifesto but cannot find anything there on this initiative
This article is the best I could find...it mentions both volunteers and not for profit as well as providers delivering this wrap around care.

Somehow it links to the answer I got from Tessa Jowell when I put childcare as a question to her very recently...she talked about 'co-operatives'.

Labour offers parents 'guarantee' of wraparound childcare | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1150825/labour-offers-parents-guarantee-of-wraparound-childcare?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

The other question was whether the 25 hrs also covers providers' cost 'in full' or at the current level?...the latter would be a bit hard to sustain.

Simona
14-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I have just got this...Tories will extend free childcare to 30 hours in response to the Labour 25 hrs offer...it is getting to desperation point now...I think
Here is the PLA's response

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/655/alliance-comments-on-conservative-pledge-to-extend-free-childcare-offer

Whatever next?

Mouse
14-04-2015, 11:22 AM
I have just got this...Tories will extend free childcare to 30 hours in response to the Labour 25 hrs offer...it is getting to desperation point now...I think
Here is the PLA's response

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/655/alliance-comments-on-conservative-pledge-to-extend-free-childcare-offer

Whatever next?

On a practical level, 30 hours childcare is easier to provide than 25 hours - 6 hours, 5 days a week is workable for most childcare providers, apart from maybe playgroups that currently only offer one 3hr session a day. I'd have thought 30 hours was preferable to trying to fit in 25 hours.

But what neither party has seemed to do is ask the providers - the very people who will have to deliver these promises - if they're going to be able, or if they're willing, to do it!

In a way it would be great for me. We don't have enough childcare spaces in my LA for 3 & 4 year olds wanting their 15 hours childcare. If they're all to be given 30 hours it's in effect going to half the number of places available, so increase the number of parents looking to place their children. I'd happily take on just 3 & 4 year olds, term time only, for a guaranteed 6 hours a day...IF...and it's a very big if...the LA was to pay me a decent amount to do it. If they stick at the current level of funding I will stick at my current level of only providing 3 hours a day funding.

We (the childcare sector) could use this to our advantage - refuse to increase the number of hours we offer unless the LAs increase the amount they pay :thumbsup:

Simona
14-04-2015, 11:35 AM
On a practical level, 30 hours childcare is easier to provide than 25 hours - 6 hours, 5 days a week is workable for most childcare providers, apart from maybe playgroups that currently only offer one 3hr session a day. I'd have thought 30 hours was preferable to trying to fit in 25 hours.

But what neither party has seemed to do is ask the providers - the very people who will have to deliver these promises - if they're going to be able, or if they're willing, to do it!

In a way it would be great for me. We don't have enough childcare spaces in my LA for 3 & 4 year olds wanting their 15 hours childcare. If they're all to be given 30 hours it's in effect going to half the number of places available, so increase the number of parents looking to place their children. I'd happily take on just 3 & 4 year olds, term time only, for a guaranteed 6 hours a day...IF...and it's a very big if...the LA was to pay me a decent amount to do it. If they stick at the current level of funding I will stick at my current level of only providing 3 hours a day funding.

We (the childcare sector) could use this to our advantage - refuse to increase the number of hours we offer unless the LAs increase the amount they pay :thumbsup:

Hold on ....we seem to have a promise of consultation from the Tories
Here is the tweet to the PLA

Pre-school Learning @Pre_schoolLA · 26m 26 minutes ago
Conservative HQ have informed us that they will be consulting on an increase in regional EY funding rates #EYAgenda

I agree that providing 25 or 30 hrs would be easier but not at the current level of funding where the level is too low to sustain our businesses.
And I agree even more it is up to us to call their bluff....fund properly or we withdraw!

It has taken childcare to kick this boring election into touch!

Mouse
14-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Hold on ....we seem to have a promise of consultation from the Tories
Here is the tweet to the PLA

Pre-school Learning @Pre_schoolLA · 26m 26 minutes ago
Conservative HQ have informed us that they will be consulting on an increase in regional EY funding rates #EYAgenda

:eek::eek:

I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen (only for it then to be ignored :rolleyes:), but it does seem to indicate that they know their promise of 30 hours won't work unless they have the backing of the childcare sector...and the only way to guarantee that is to pay us more!

Simona
14-04-2015, 12:26 PM
:eek::eek:

I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen (only for it then to be ignored :rolleyes:), but it does seem to indicate that they know their promise of 30 hours won't work unless they have the backing of the childcare sector...and the only way to guarantee that is to pay us more!

Hot off the press

Conservatives pledge to double free childcare hours | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1150838/conservatives-pledge-to-double-free-childcare-hours)

Jayse74
14-04-2015, 12:38 PM
A Conservative Government would start building capacity in the sector from 2017

Agencies coming into their own maybe?

including making capital funding available for new nursery provision in schools.

Looks like we could be sold down the river again!

Simona
14-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Agencies coming into their own maybe?

Looks like we could be sold down the river again!

Indeed ...and swimming against the tide!

Mouse
15-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Oh my word...

This is taken from the UKIP manifesto:

However, we will amend the voucher scheme in order to address the
shortage of places and cut the cost to both parents and the state, by
de-regulating childcare provision.
At the moment, if parents want to claim their free childcare
entitlement, they must place their child with an Ofsted-registered
childminder. UKIP will remove this requirement and allow parents
to use any third-party, non-related child carer they feel comfortable
placing their child with, provided the care provided can be proven
to be genuine. This is intended to encourage experienced parents
whose own children have grown up, for instance, or who would like to
combine looking after other people’s children alongside their own, to
offer childcare. Our plans will also make it cost-effective for parents to
hire a nanny if they have more than one young child, or enable parents
to club together to hire a nanny.

Well, there's another winning idea...NOT!! :rolleyes:

Mouse
15-04-2015, 11:48 AM
And Lib Dem's offering:

Childcare (http://www.libdems.org.uk/childcare#)

Free childcare is obviously the way forward for all parties.

Whatever happened to the days when parents had children, took responsibility for them and paid for their own childcare? How have we got to the stage where free childcare is expected by everyone?

smurfette
15-04-2015, 11:52 AM
And Lib Dem's offering: Childcare (http://www.libdems.org.uk/childcare#) Free childcare is obviously the way forward for all parties. Whatever happened to the days when parents had children, took responsibility for them and paid for their own childcare? How have we got to the stage where free childcare is expected by everyone?

I find this all fascinating as we have no help for Childcare here in Ireland and chilcare is largely unregulated !

bunyip
15-04-2015, 05:03 PM
And Lib Dem's offering:

Childcare (http://www.libdems.org.uk/childcare#)

Free childcare is obviously the way forward for all parties.

Whatever happened to the days when parents had children, took responsibility for them and paid for their own childcare? How have we got to the stage where free childcare is expected by everyone?

My mum made a lot of sacrifices just to bring us up. I think the parents of most children I knew through school did the same. It was almost a point of pride as to how they'd "gone without" to raise a family.

Now all I hear is parents who want a nice house, multiple "good holidays", etc. etc. - of course this is always "for the children", never mind the fact that mum and dad are on the beach too. Then they need nights out just to cope with the stress of being obliged to raise their own offspring. I'm not too sure where the new car, new 'phone, new hairdo, etc. come into it, though I'm pretty sure they're only doing that for the children too.

Then they all want free/low cost childcare whilst they enjoy all the above luxuries, which I'm sure they consider to be necessities.

HandD
19-04-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm worried this policy will put me out of work caring for school children before and after school. Do you think schools will have to provide childcare on their premises or just be able to direct parents to childminders and other after school clubs?

natlou82
19-04-2015, 12:22 PM
It looks like they will need support from sports leaders etc to run clubs at no cost to parents in school. My Junior School already has this concept in place (my son attended for a while however but didn't rate it!). A lot of parents do use this as free childcare. Although I'm starting to get enquiries as the children are getting too exhausted doing extra sports each night until 5:30 and others who would prefer their children to have a meal before they collect. It will depend on what the schools are offering as wraparound and what we can do to compete.

Simona
20-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Many schools already operate 8-6pm but, that I know, only during Term Time.
What happens during the holidays?

The worrying thing about the increase in hours...be 20, 25 or 30...is how some providers will be able to accommodate those hours?
many preschools operate from community halls with multiple use, they will not be able to rent the additional hours.
What about schools...will they be able to increase their hours if Reception children are included as they are now?

It does not look to me as if any political party has actually thought of the consequences and practicalities...unless they all want children in day nurseries and do away with parental choice?

In addition, many Cms only work part time...those who for instance operate 3 days a week for 30 hours will be basically working for nothing...many at a loss where the funding is below their fees?

FloraDora
20-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Lib dems have been working with MENCAP to produce this Easy to read manifesto : I wonder if the others will be doing the same - nice and straightforward text.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/libdems/pages/8907/attachments/original/1429028136/Liberal-Democrat_Manifesto-_2015-Easy-Read.pdf?1429028136

Simona
20-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Lib dems have been working with MENCAP to produce this Easy to read manifesto : I wonder if the others will be doing the same - nice and straightforward text.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/libdems/pages/8907/attachments/original/1429028136/Liberal-Democrat_Manifesto-_2015-Easy-Read.pdf?1429028136

Thanks for sharing Flora Dora...it is certainly easy to read.
Unfortunately the Lib Dems too call it 'free childcare' when it is really not so....although like Labour the increase would be for ALL families not just the 'hard working ones' selected by the Tories.

The Lib Dems do promise the increased hours but do not mention if they will review the funding...the Tories have said they will consult on an increase with the sector.
Nick Clegg himself is aware that LAs are not passing the full funding to us and his promise on 19 February to those who attended the PLA conference, was ''we will encourage LAs' to do so.

I am not against an increase in hours of childcare...if properly funded... but I am against continuing to subsidise it.

bunyip
20-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks for sharing Flora Dora...it is certainly easy to read.
Unfortunately the Lib Dems too call it 'free childcare' when it is really not so....although like Labour the increase would be for ALL families not just the 'hard working ones' selected by the Tories.

The Lib Dems do promise the increased hours but do not mention if they will review the funding...the Tories have said they will consult on an increase with the sector.
Nick Clegg himself is aware that LAs are not passing the full funding to us and his promise on 19 February to those who attended the PLA conference, was ''we will encourage LAs' to do so.

I am not against an increase in hours of childcare...if properly funded... but I am against continuing to subsidise it.

Agreed.

But it needs more than a realistic hourly rate to make it sustainable.

Our local preschool is dreading any extension to the funded hours. The community hall they use is simply not available for more than 3 hours a day. But our LA's 'provider agreement' is clear that settings must offer the full complement of free hours or not participate at all. SO they'd no longer be able to offer any free hours at all. :(

I and a lot of CMs I know are fearful of having more families whose childcare is fully covered by government funding. It's a sad side of human nature that people often have little or no regard for something if they're getting it for free. Local CMs, preschool, nurseries, etc. have a lot of problems with fully-funded children just not turning up or, worse still, walking away without even giving notice - so the setting has no income until a replacement can be found to fill the space. :(

Personally, I'd like to see a system in which the family still has to pay at least part of the cost, and preferably one which was an all-year-round offer instead of the current 38 weeks.

Mouse
20-04-2015, 09:30 AM

I would love to see something like that produced by an independent body that included information about all the parties. I'm sure it would appeal to a lot of young people who see it all as too complicated to bother with!
My sons (2 voting in a general election for the second time, one for the first) tend to go along with how I vote without any real understanding of why.

Mouse
20-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Agreed.

Our local preschool is dreading any extension to the funded hours. The community hall they use is simply not available for more than 3 hours a day. But our LA's 'provider agreement' is clear that settings must offer the full complement of free hours or not participate at all. SO they'd no longer be able to offer any free hours at all. :(

I and a lot of CMs I know are fearful of having more families whose childcare is fully covered by government funding. It's a sad side of human nature that people often have little or no regard for something if they're getting it for free. Local CMs, preschool, nurseries, etc. have a lot of problems with fully-funded children just not turning up or, worse still, walking away without even giving notice - so the setting has no income until a replacement can be found to fill the space. :(

Personally, I'd like to see a system in which the family still has to pay at least part of the cost, and preferably one which was an all-year-round offer instead of the current 38 weeks.

I agree with that completely. At the moment I refuse to take on any families of 2,3 or 4 year olds that only want the funded sessions.
The only families I do funding for are those where I have already looked after the children for a while and where I know the families need childcare while they are at work (so can't afford to mess me around and risk losing their childcare!)

My plan for the future would be to take on only funded child & 4yr olds, term time only, but I would have to be certain that the amount the LA paid made it financially viable and that there was a big enough supply of 3 & 4 year olds to keep replacing any that leave part way through the term.

Simona
20-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Agreed.

May I refer back to the LAs?....152 of them, all pay different rates and...some actually paying more than the going rate so providers make a small profit...how is that possible?...although I am glad to hear of it.

That is where I think it is all wrong...I also agree that if the politicians, the press and others insist on calling it 'free childcare' then it should be spread over the year not just 38 weeks...I assume this is because of the school terms? it should be up to providers to agree a flexibility that works for parents and the setting.

I have just emailed my representing association with exactly that question...what of preschools who cannot increase their hours?
All that we will be left with is children in day nurseries or in schools 8-6pm...so very sad.

I would like to quote my example...I work 3 days for 30 hours...with this new policy I would be working for nothing ...actually making a loss because my LA pays us half the going rate....we have had an increase of 10 pence, the first I can remember since 1997.
I think NOT!

I do feel that we have been very patient and have engaged with the govt over the funding issue for a long time but it is time to call the govt's bluff
I seem to meet more and more providers who are imposing quotas on the free places they offer or not offering them at all.

It may come to that in the end.

bunyip
20-04-2015, 09:58 AM
We could also do with more transparency about the "free" childcare scheme. If it were a commercial company promoting it like the LA's, they'd be nailed by the Advertising Standards Agency for misleading ads.

It's hard enough us having to explain things like:_

your child can't get free care on his 3rd birthday; he has to wait until the start of next term.
you've missed the headcount submissions deadline, so no free care this term.
it's 38 weeks a year, not 52
your 2yo only gets free care if you qualify
and so on.

To cap it all, last week I had to explain to a confused mum that, no, I won't have her 4yo on her "free childcare entitlement" before and after school from this September until next April when she turns 5. And she's still disputing it by sending SMS messages at 0630 this morning. :mad:

mumofone
22-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Do any of them actually mention care for children 0-2 years? This part of a child's life rarely gets a mention despite most woman going back to work when baby is just 6 months old, I don't get it?

Simona
23-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Do any of them actually mention care for children 0-2 years? This part of a child's life rarely gets a mention despite most woman going back to work when baby is just 6 months old, I don't get it?

I think Nick Clegg has mentioned offering care for all 2 year olds...eventually...but those are the very children whose families actually make up the shortfall in funding for nurseries who have admitted those not entitled to 'free' childcare' pay more...so nurseries may not be at all pleased if that was to happen?

The way the Tories are now coming up with ideas and promises to 'review funding' has been in the news all this week and I confess I am a bit reluctant to accept our childcare minister has suddenly realised that the doubling of childcare hours means those hours must be properly funded?
I can't follow his logic but Gyimah is an ex banker so he has his own way of reasoning.

lollipop kid
23-04-2015, 12:01 PM
I think Nick Clegg has mentioned offering care for all 2 year olds...eventually...but those are the very children whose families actually make up the shortfall in funding for nurseries who have admitted those not entitled to 'free' childcare' pay more...so nurseries may not be at all pleased if that was to happen?

The way the Tories are now coming up with ideas and promises to 'review funding' has been in the news all this week and I confess I am a bit reluctant to accept our childcare minister has suddenly realised that the doubling of childcare hours means those hours must be properly funded?
I can't follow his logic but Gyimah is an ex banker so he has his own way of reasoning.

"Ex-banker" - is that London rhyming slang, by any chance? (Perhaps not one I'll add to my list of things to cover for British Values, though!)

:laughing:

L

bunyip
23-04-2015, 06:44 PM
"Ex-banker" - is that London rhyming slang, by any chance? (Perhaps not one I'll add to my list of things to cover for British Values, though!)

:laughing:

L

Absolutely.

I think Fuhrer Farage is also an ex-banker (in both senses :D ) which is where he developed the political philosophy that women are "worth less" in the workplace. :mad:

Simona
29-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I wonder if anyone has come across this information from the Family and Childcare Trust produced for the General Election?

I am not sure if anyone sees the same way as I do but this charity constantly addresses the problems 'working families' face when it comes to childcare such as cost, availability and quality.
They do state the system needs reviewing but I never see them mentioning the fact that providers are struggling with sustainability, low wages and cuts in many ways.
They also fail to mention that parents receive huge help towards childcare in Tax credits, vouchers and the new Tax free childcare scheme...while providers face nothing but cuts in training, support and constant negativity.

Does the F&C Trust not feel that providers are also 'working families'? that the reason why childcare is skyrocketing is because of govt's underfunding and increasing red tape and regulation?

As we know the 3 main parties have promised an increase in 'FREE' childcare...no it is not free but underfunded by the govt and subsidised by providers including cms.

Labour will give 25 hrs...paid by the bank levy but no promise they will increase our funding

Tories...30 hrs...I believe in 2017...this was in response to the Labour Party well known decision to increase to 25 hrs.
They have promised to consult on this forcing Sam Gyimah to state the system will 'keel over' unless funding is reviewed.

LD...2 year olds would receive free childcare and an increase in the EYPP....and much more.

UKIP...are promising childcare via unregistered CMs...I do not feel they will win an election but what if they do go into coalition with the Tories? unregulated care was introduced by them via Truss.

Who do we believe will deliver on their promises? do you vote for one party because of one specific policy or because of their beliefs?

http://www.familyandchildcaretrust.org/sites/default/files/files/Childcare%20GE%20factsheets_England%20FINAL.pdf#ov erlay-context=working-towards-more-family-friendly-uk

loocyloo
29-04-2015, 11:37 AM
I read it yesterday and didn't feel it really did anything other than state how things are now for working families.
No one ever seems to think that childminders and nursery staff are working parents too!