PDA

View Full Version : Fridge and freezer temperatures

mumofone
08-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Do you track yours? Do you record them and if so do you do it daily?

FloraDora
08-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Yes, yes and yes.....well, DH does.

We actually have a thermometer on the outside of our fridge, supposedly showing the temp in the fridge and freezer. When we started taking the temps it soon became clear that the integral fridge thermometer wasn't accurate, even though it was fairly new and an expensive one!

Also inside fridge the top varies hugely from the bottom, we have reorganised shelves and drawers because of this now.

Our chiller, cheap, old, quick buy, bought for one hot summers family and friends ' do' for the drinks. Keeps perfect temperature same at bottom and top.

So, it is well worth regularly doing it and finding out how your fridges, freezers and chillers really work.

lisbet
09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
I don't record it, but I do do a daily visual check on the temperature - both on the inbuilt fridge thermometer and on the freestanding one that I bought to sit on a fridge shelf. (I rotate this thermometer around the shelves too, to make sure all areas.) I have stated that I do a daily visual check and take action as necessary in one of my policies (I can't remember off hand if it is in Health and safety, Food and drink, Risk assessment or something else!)

Lal
09-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I do the same- visual check daily and then note in my copy of Safer Food Better Business if there is a problem.

mumofone
09-04-2015, 06:42 PM
I know that the freezer needs to be 18 or below and the fridge 4 or below but how far "below" can it be?! Is there a safe or recommended 'range' does anyone know?

sarah707
10-04-2015, 06:51 AM
This is what you need to use - all the information is here :D

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/publication/sfbbwebfriendlychilminders0513.pdf

mumofone
10-04-2015, 07:51 AM
This is what you need to use - all the information is here :D https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/publication/sfbbwebfriendlychilminders0513.pdf

Thanks sarah :-) yes I have this and it's great but it doesn't address the issue of the lower temperatures I mentioned I don't think (or if it does ive missed it, quite possibly!)

lisbet
10-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks sarah :-) yes I have this and it's great but it doesn't address the issue of the lower temperatures I mentioned I don't think (or if it does ive missed it, quite possibly!)

I don't think it does mention lower temperatures - which suggests to me that it is not a concern food-safety-wise, but obviously if your milk's got ice crystals in it and your fruit is spoiled from partially freezing, then it's an indication that the temperature is too low.

It would be an interesting question to ask the food safety inspector, if they do visits for new childminders in your area :)

Mouse
10-04-2015, 09:32 AM
I always thought the fridge temp should be between 0 and 5 degrees. It makes sense that you don't want it below freezing as you'd end up with food being frozen, then having to deal with defrosting etc.

This looks like it might at least answer the fridge question:

North Devon Temperature control: food safety tips (http://northdevon.gov.uk/business/food-hygiene-and-safety/food-safety-tips/temperature-control/)

mumofone
10-04-2015, 10:04 AM
I always thought the fridge temp should be between 0 and 5 degrees. It makes sense that you don't want it below freezing as you'd end up with food being frozen, then having to deal with defrosting etc. This looks like it might at least answer the fridge question: North Devon Temperature control: food safety tips (http://northdevon.gov.uk/business/food-hygiene-and-safety/food-safety-tips/temperature-control/)

Oh fantastic this is just what I wanted! Thanks mouse! :-) suprised it's not documented elsewhere.

mumofone
11-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Yes, yes and yes.....well, DH does. We actually have a thermometer on the outside of our fridge, supposedly showing the temp in the fridge and freezer. When we started taking the temps it soon became clear that the integral fridge thermometer wasn't accurate, even though it was fairly new and an expensive one! Also inside fridge the top varies hugely from the bottom, we have reorganised shelves and drawers because of this now. Our chiller, cheap, old, quick buy, bought for one hot summers family and friends ' do' for the drinks. Keeps perfect temperature same at bottom and top. So, it is well worth regularly doing it and finding out how your fridges, freezers and chillers really work.

Do you record them even at the weekends flora when you're not minding or just on working days when you have mindees?

FloraDora
11-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Do you record them even at the weekends flora when you're not minding or just on working days when you have mindees?

my Environmental officer said that we should record when we are not working as we are TTO mainly so then it shows why there isn't a record on those dates. My DH however thinks that if I buy food say on Friday evening that we are going to serve the following week then if he records on Sat and Sunday then it is evidence that our temperatures are maintained and there is no dip at the weekend if anyone investigates due to suspected food poisoning etc.... But then he is now obsessed with making sure our fridges are running well to appropriate temperatures, he can also always tell you the temp of the living room/ bedroom!!

In reality a restaurant/cafe / school that may be closed at the weekend does not record temperatures of their fridges on their closed days - so no I don't think you should record at the weekend.

mumofone
11-04-2015, 02:15 PM
my Environmental officer said that we should record when we are not working as we are TTO mainly so then it shows why there isn't a record on those dates. My DH however thinks that if I buy food say on Friday evening that we are going to serve the following week then if he records on Sat and Sunday then it is evidence that our temperatures are maintained and there is no dip at the weekend if anyone investigates due to suspected food poisoning etc.... But then he is now obsessed with making sure our fridges are running well to appropriate temperatures, he can also always tell you the temp of the living room/ bedroom!! In reality a restaurant/cafe / school that may be closed at the weekend does not record temperatures of their fridges on their closed days - so no I don't think you should record at the weekend.

What's TTO flora? Forgive my ignorance! :-)

FussyElmo
11-04-2015, 02:44 PM
What's TTO flora? Forgive my ignorance! :-)

Term time only ☺