PDA

View Full Version : Music

mumofone
07-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Which of the seven areas does "music" fall into? I see it mentioned in various areas but which one does it truley belong in?

FloraDora
07-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Expressive arts and design: exploring and using media - lots of music related obs here.

But.... I think it also comes into listening and understanding other cultures if you bring in a range of music and multicultural instruments.
Finer motor skills - playing instruments.
Remembering rhyme in songs - literacy.

Or...just enjoy it, play, sing and dance with it on ....listen to music .... Get lost in it..who gives a fig about the areas!!!

alex__17
07-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I link it to whatever it relates to at the time of the obs so if we did singing as an activity it would link to psed (following a child's interest), c&l (repetitive phrases, new words, joining in actions, anticipating words at end of song), pd (dancing, playing instruments), ead (singing and dancing), maths (counting songs) etc
I don't think everything can fall purely into one category or area of learning and my last inspector agreed, most activities span several areas and you develop the activity to cover more or as a next step

bunyip
08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but just had to comment on music.

I used to play children's music CDs quite a bit. My inspector said it was nice, but suggested I limit it to only the times when the music was part of a specific activity. Her reason.............. background music will disrupt children's language development.

I cut down on the music for quite a while then thought, hey, the lo's like it.... what the h3ll..............

In the past couple of weeks, 2 client parents and one more on a pre-settling visit have commented on how much they loved me playing so much children's (and classical) music whilst they were here. Those parents' jobs?

Nursery deputy manager
School teacher
Speech and language therapist

Inspectres, eh? :D

natlou82
08-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Music is my sanity! I love it on in the background, unfortunately I'm not as cultured as some of the CMs on here but my mindees will always have fun at a family party lol! We also like the good old fashioned nursery rhyme CDs (although some are considerably better than others)

Dragonfly
10-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Do you all play children's music ALL the time? what about having the radio on? i'm not ashamed to say I do some days.

natlou82
10-04-2015, 07:29 AM
No not always children's music as it would drive me insane! I have my radio on a lot (as I say keeps me sane) tbh if parents don't like me having the radio on in the wrong CM for them. I'm not concerned about Ofsted either I'm a home from home setting, my home has music, my own children had no problems learning to talk or any other development issues with me playing music so I'm prepared to fight my corner. Also my children love to dance :-)

k1rstie
10-04-2015, 09:07 AM
I do not have kids music in my car. I need to be concentrating on driving rather than doing the actions to the wheels on the bus go round and round!!!

I also do not like the actions from these songs in my peripheral vision.

tess1981
10-04-2015, 09:27 AM
If out and about in the car I have the radio on... The kids I have sing very out of tune if I have a children's cd on and it's very off putting lol I do have a smart TV so tend to put on the children's nursery rhymes on the you tube channel

FussyElmo
10-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but just had to comment on music.

I used to play children's music CDs quite a bit. My inspector said it was nice, but suggested I limit it to only the times when the music was part of a specific activity. Her reason.............. background music will disrupt children's language development.

I cut down on the music for quite a while then thought, hey, the lo's like it.... what the h3ll..............

In the past couple of weeks, 2 client parents and one more on a pre-settling visit have commented on how much they loved me playing so much children's (and classical) music whilst they were here. Those parents' jobs?

Nursery deputy manager
School teacher
Speech and language therapist

Inspectres, eh? :D

Partial to a bit of Foos myself 😆

hectors house
10-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Sometimes I put on my CD's and get away with it by getting to children to guess what instruments they can hear.

FloraDora
10-04-2015, 12:25 PM
We don't listen to music all the time otherwise it will just become like the music in restaurants and supermarkets, you are not even aware that it is playing sometimes.
My DH who seems to spend his day in the kitchen, cooking, baking and wine making and bottling chutneys and jams when the children are here- he has Radio 6 music playing - Sean, Lauren and Rad Mac are his best mates when I am working!
However if we are in the kitchen or dining room next door and the door open I often ask him to turn it down / off as its distracting and the chatter isn't good to listen to the children over- if I pop in to the kitchen then I can't hear the children well as the chatter from the presenters or the music interferes.
I play Mozart for art music - I was part of some research years ago in my classroom that showed children are more thoughtful if Mozart is playing quietly.
We have Pachebel, some quiet orchestral tunes from Harry Potter or The nutcracker by Tchaikovsky as a current choice for lunch background - I have 3 pieces of music on the go at a time and the children choose- it helps them to associate name with music.
My favourite music session based CD is one called Spaceman Sid, Early birds songs from the late 80's - we used to have the musician in with his wife to do work shops in school and the songs are really good - my 2,3&4 yearolds love it as much as the children did then - a very Midlands based group at the time.
The music I always play to complete puzzles to at the end of the day is My own sons, some quieter sounds than he usually composed, they love it because they know it's someone they know's music, made using the piano upstairs and his drums...and of course I just love to listen to it daily as it brings him into our life even though he lives over 100 miles away!
Nursery rhymes are played and a 'tape' that one LO loves to play when in the music room is called A handful of songs, very old traditional but he loves it and plays along to it with the Ukelele he calls a guitar.

My own children were cared for by a childminder who liked Simon and Garfunkle and she used to play a CD in the car with the children. One day my youngest was playing with the other boy who went there in our house ( they have been life long friends and band mates ever since) ...they started singing ' she got up to wash her face, when she came back to bed someone had taken her place'!! They were 5/6 - singing loudly in the garden....it was Cecelia ! They had no idea of what the story was in the lyrics just that it was their favourite song on their childminders CD in the car. Milld S&G having unsuitable lyrics for that age...it's much worse now, most of the CD's in my hall have a warning of some sort on them if they were my boys !

So, I think music is good for different things, but not played constantly, it's good that children start to form opinions and make choices , I like to play their choice now and then in the day. I know music is good for the soul, making music is an all round skill that ticks lots of boxes - my Glastonbury playing drummer son never liked English at school, until he linked his music lyrics to poetry ....became interested then, set some Wordsworth to music .......A* achieved!
My family, every couple of years, used to each make up ' top 10 all time favourite tunes' - last Christmas we sat back and listened to about 10 years worth, starting from when they were 4/5 and youngests was dominated by Oasis. Great to reflect on, especially when the same tune stays in all time favourite. Might be a good activity to do with after schoolers in the holidays. They bring their favourite 3 say, you put them on to a cd to play in the setting or if they are older they can do the early music tech of transferring to a cd too.
I think inspectors get distracted by music playing, they are trying to observe and listen and compose statements and if music is playing some might find it a real distraction and stop them listening so well. Mine enjoyed the Pachabel at lunch as she wrote up my report, very calming she said ....perhaps that's why it reads so well!

hectors house
10-04-2015, 01:25 PM
On my "supporting children with speech, language or communication" course a speech therapist said that we shouldn't have music playing all the time - I tend to put on a children's music CD and then play musical bumps with the children or sometimes listen to Nick Cope on You tube, his songs and videos are great fun. When we do singing we don't often have on a children's song CD as sometimes they are too fast for children to keep up with and have different verses and if the children also have instruments the music CD is drowned out anyway.

mumofone
10-04-2015, 02:47 PM
I haven't put on any music yet just provided instruments...

mumofone
10-04-2015, 02:49 PM
We don't listen to music all the time otherwise it will just become like the music in restaurants and supermarkets, you are not even aware that it is playing sometimes. My DH who seems to spend his day in the kitchen, cooking, baking and wine making and bottling chutneys and jams when the children are here- he has Radio 6 music playing - Sean, Lauren and Rad Mac are his best mates when I am working! However if we are in the kitchen or dining room next door and the door open I often ask him to turn it down / off as its distracting and the chatter isn't good to listen to the children over- if I pop in to the kitchen then I can't hear the children well as the chatter from the presenters or the music interferes. I play Mozart for art music - I was part of some research years ago in my classroom that showed children are more thoughtful if Mozart is playing quietly. We have Pachebel, some quiet orchestral tunes from Harry Potter or The nutcracker by Tchaikovsky as a current choice for lunch background - I have 3 pieces of music on the go at a time and the children choose- it helps them to associate name with music. My favourite music session based CD is one called Spaceman Sid, Early birds songs from the late 80's - we used to have the musician in with his wife to do work shops in school and the songs are really good - my 2,3&4 yearolds love it as much as the children did then - a very Midlands based group at the time. The music I always play to complete puzzles to at the end of the day is My own sons, some quieter sounds than he usually composed, they love it because they know it's someone they know's music, made using the piano upstairs and his drums...and of course I just love to listen to it daily as it brings him into our life even though he lives over 100 miles away! Nursery rhymes are played and a 'tape' that one LO loves to play when in the music room is called A handful of songs, very old traditional but he loves it and plays along to it with the Ukelele he calls a guitar. My own children were cared for by a childminder who liked Simon and Garfunkle and she used to play a CD in the car with the children. One day my youngest was playing with the other boy who went there in our house ( they have been life long friends and band mates ever since) ...they started singing ' she got up to wash her face, when she came back to bed someone had taken her place'!! They were 5/6 - singing loudly in the garden....it was Cecelia ! They had no idea of what the story was in the lyrics just that it was their favourite song on their childminders CD in the car. Milld S&G having unsuitable lyrics for that age...it's much worse now, most of the CD's in my hall have a warning of some sort on them if they were my boys ! So, I think music is good for different things, but not played constantly, it's good that children start to form opinions and make choices , I like to play their choice now and then in the day. I know music is good for the soul, making music is an all round skill that ticks lots of boxes - my Glastonbury playing drummer son never liked English at school, until he linked his music lyrics to poetry ....became interested then, set some Wordsworth to music .......A* achieved! My family, every couple of years, used to each make up ' top 10 all time favourite tunes' - last Christmas we sat back and listened to about 10 years worth, starting from when they were 4/5 and youngests was dominated by Oasis. Great to reflect on, especially when the same tune stays in all time favourite. Might be a good activity to do with after schoolers in the holidays. They bring their favourite 3 say, you put them on to a cd to play in the setting or if they are older they can do the early music tech of transferring to a cd too. I think inspectors get distracted by music playing, they are trying to observe and listen and compose statements and if music is playing some might find it a real distraction and stop them listening so well. Mine enjoyed the Pachabel at lunch as she wrote up my report, very calming she said ....perhaps that's why it reads so well!

lol maybe it put her in a trance flora?! ;-) :-)

bunyip
10-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I haven't put on any music yet just provided instruments...

I tried that.

.............................and learned the hard way there's a qualitative difference between "music" and "children with instruments." :p

:D