PDA

View Full Version : Level 3 diploma

mumofone
04-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Hi everyone, please can someone tell me about the level 3 diploma that I often hear childminders say they are studying? What exactly is it, who's it for etc etc. Thank you :-)

natlou82
04-04-2015, 07:25 PM
I've just started mine it's the Early Years Educator

moggy
04-04-2015, 07:58 PM
It changed in August 2014. What a lot of us have is not available now (the old 'Level 3 Children and Young People's Workforce- Early Learning and Childcare').

I don't know about the new qualification- it is new so I am not sure how many people have actually finished it?

The old Level 3 was pretty basic, I found, very repetitive and didn't take much effort. I didn't learn much from it. But I am glad I did it as I got it fully funded (free) and it is recognised standard level in the childcare industry.

Simona
05-04-2015, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone, please can someone tell me about the level 3 diploma that I often hear childminders say they are studying? What exactly is it, who's it for etc etc. Thank you :-)

There is lots of information on the Cache website that will help you further

CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Early Years Education and Care (Early Years Educator) (http://www.cache.org.uk/Qualifications/CYP/CYPL3/Pages/CACHE-Level-3-Diploma-in-Early-Years-Professional-Practice-(Early-Years-Educator).aspx)

it has replaced the old NVQ3 which had become really a bit 'poor' towards the end ...it is for everybody in EY but we now need to have GCSE in maths and English in order to study it.

If you are a member of a representing association they will be able to forward further info to you and many also do their own training on EYE ...such as PLA

From EYE you can progress towards a Foundation Degree then a BA and then Teachers' Qualifications...previously EYPS

mumofone
05-04-2015, 07:52 AM
I've just started mine it's the Early Years Educator

Thanks natlou, dyou mind me asking how much it cost you and how you signed up etc?

mumofone
05-04-2015, 07:52 AM
It changed in August 2014. What a lot of us have is not available now (the old 'Level 3 Children and Young People's Workforce- Early Learning and Childcare'). I don't know about the new qualification- it is new so I am not sure how many people have actually finished it? The old Level 3 was pretty basic, I found, very repetitive and didn't take much effort. I didn't learn much from it. But I am glad I did it as I got it fully funded (free) and it is recognised standard level in the childcare industry.

Thanks moggy, may I ask how you were able to get it funded?

moggy
05-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks moggy, may I ask how you were able to get it funded?

My LA early years person directed me to it. There was limited funding in those days (2 years ago, I think) for people who do not have a degree already. I was lucky to get it, my course provider arranged it for me- Parenta. Speak to your LA and see what is available locally. I have not heard of anyone getting funding recently.

Simona
05-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Moggy is right.
Prior to EYE, NVQs and Degrees were funded by the Labour govt's 'Graduate Leader Fund'...I was lucky enough to have been given both.

EYE is free to those up to 24 years of age
Anyone else applies for a loan which is repayable only when they earn above £21,000.

The cost of EYE varies immensely according to who delivers it...PLA offers a 20% discount to members
My local college charges around £3,000...Pacey, PLA, Parenta and others vary.

rickysmiths
05-04-2015, 05:51 PM
I was lucky enough to get a grant from my LA when I did my L3. It cost £2500 but I only paid £250.

natlou82
05-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I have accessed the 24+ advanced learning loan which as Simona says is only payable when you earn over £21k. I am studying via @homechildcare and my experience with them is so far positive. I do however say strictly research who to study with if you decide to go ahead and avoid Stonebridge college as I had a nightmare with them.

Simona
07-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Apart from the Graduate Leader Fund which gave many providers access to bursaries...other sources of free funding came from the European Union Social Fund via their investment in people and skills.

This is still ongoing and their logo displayed by training providers such as PLA.

Tealady
08-04-2015, 09:33 PM
The old Level 3 was pretty basic, I found, very repetitive and didn't take much effort. I didn't learn much from it.

Glad you found the old qualification like this, as I am too and keep thinking something must be wrong! I am just finishing mine now. If I had know this before I would have done it sooner. However I do think the Early Years Educator would be more challenging and informative, but I'm not doing a level 3 again!

natlou82
10-04-2015, 05:27 AM
I'll keep you informed what the Early Years Educator is like. So far I like that I can input ideas and photos from my setting. The topic is healthy eating so I've submitted photos of meals I've provided and a fruit tasting activity. If I can relate it to what I'm doing I will enjoy it much more.