PDA

View Full Version : Displaying your certificates?

mumofone
02-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Dare I ask if you all really do this or whether you only do if OFSTED are due?! I only ask because k never saw my childminders displayed-but then she's maybe not the best example!!
Also when displaying my registration certificate is prefer not to use the original incase it gets damaged (unlikely but you never know) so do you all display a copy?

yummyripples
02-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Mines always on display in a frame on the wall in the playroom

FloraDora
02-04-2015, 06:52 PM
You have to display registration certificate and insurance and the Ofsted contact number.

I have mine in a wooden skirt/trouser hangar and hang on coat hook, reg cert on a red glass magnetic square - all comes off quick as last child leaves.

I personally don't do anything just for OfSTED - I like to think I do everything as I should no matter whether someone is watching me or not.

sarah707
02-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Your certificate MUST be displayed - a frame is a nice way of doing it.

You don't have to put up your certificates but it's nice to share them with parents :D

Mouse
02-04-2015, 06:59 PM
I colour photocopied my certificate, laminated it & put it on my noticeboard. The original is safely in a file.

I did try laminating the original once, but the laminator chewed it up & I had to pay for a new one! Now I photocopy any important documents (insurance, first aid), use the photocopies for displaying or showing parents, but I do have the originals close to hand if needed.

miffy
02-04-2015, 09:43 PM
I have my registration certificate in a frame - easy to put away in a drawer when I'm not working.

Miffy xx

bunyip
03-04-2015, 08:46 AM
You do need to have it on display for parents.........................who never look at it. :p

The highlight of my prospective client visits is, towards the end, when I ask why they opted for a registered CM. Mum and dad duly give me their very laudable reasons. Then I smile sweetly and ask how they know I'm a registered CM and not just some fat bloke with a Happyland collection who says he's a registered CM. I have to go and show them the certificate that they've already walked past, ignored, and never asked to see.

:rolleyes:

mumofone
03-04-2015, 08:51 AM
You do need to have it on display for parents.........................who never look at it. :p The highlight of my prospective client visits is, towards the end, when I ask why they opted for a registered CM. Mum and dad duly give me their very laudable reasons. Then I smile sweetly and ask how they know I'm a registered CM and not just some fat bloke with a Happyland collection who says he's a registered CM. I have to go and show them the certificate that they've already walked past, ignored, and never asked to see. :rolleyes:

A fat bloke with a happyland collection!!! Too funny!

k1rstie
03-04-2015, 12:47 PM
The certificate is pretty useless to be honest!!! It just shows that you were registered on the date it was published!

What's to stop a childminder who has been deregistered or decided not to pay the registration fee, ICO fee etcetera, to still display their certificate and say that they are registered.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but on Childcare.co.uk, you only have to say you are registered. (Sorry, but it was a long time ago that I registered)

I urge all parents to get any prospective childminders details and for them to check them out themselves. Whats to stop a childminder showing an inspection from 5 or 6 years ago, when they got a lower grade more recently?

Simona
05-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Good point K1rstie...what stops a cm who has deregistered from still showing that certificate to parents?
In addition anyone can now look after children for 3 hours without registration and call themselves a CM!!

The certificate has to be displayed for parents to see ...many will bypass this unless it is visible

The way to ensure they have seen it is to put a copy in the 'Parents' info pack' and ask them to tick the box to confirm they have seen it.

k1rstie
05-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Don't tell anyone, but I do not 'display' mine. I don't think that having it up on the wall is the only way to display it.

Mine is in the front of my daily paperwork file. Which I can open and show you if you want to see it. I also give all my parents a copy in their parent pack, and give them my EY number, telling them to look me up online, as that's most accurate

I will put it up to play the game when mrs O comes.

rickysmiths
05-04-2015, 04:55 PM
You have to display registration certificate and insurance and the Ofsted contact number.

I have mine in a wooden skirt/trouser hangar and hang on coat hook, reg cert on a red glass magnetic square - all comes off quick as last child leaves.

I personally don't do anything just for OfSTED - I like to think I do everything as I should no matter whether someone is watching me or not.

You only have to display Employer's Insurance Cert if you employ an Assistant. You do not have to display your PLI Cert.

The only two things you have to have up are your Registration Cert and the Ofsted Poster.

rickysmiths
05-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Good point K1rstie...what stops a cm who has deregistered from still showing that certificate to parents?
In addition anyone can now look after children for 3 hours without registration and call themselves a CM!!

The certificate has to be displayed for parents to see ...many will bypass this unless it is visible

The way to ensure they have seen it is to put a copy in the 'Parents' info pack' and ask them to tick the box to confirm they have seen it.

Firstly the time has as far as I am aware been increased yet it is still only 2 hours.

If a cm was de registered they could indeed still display their old Cert but the min any parent checked it online or with Ofsted they would discover the truth.

I don't enclose a copy of my Cert in my parents folder I give the a copy of my most recent Ofsted Report.

My URN is on their Contract so they can check on my Registration at any time.

I have only been asked for a copy of my report 3 times in 20 years.

I doubt many visiting parents really look at my Cert and the Ofsted Poster though they are all taken past them. They are in a hanging plastic wallet on the Playroom door right next to the door the parents come in.

rickysmiths
05-04-2015, 05:10 PM
K1irste I agree with you. My last report is dated Sept 2011 and of course a lot could have changed in my setting in that time both good or bad.

My latest Certificate is also dated then, i have never received the updated generic one despite asking Ofsted many times, I have given up now.

I always say when parents come to see me if they have any questions regarding my Registration or Police Checks, I don't have a CRB or DBS ot the status of any member of my family they are best to contact Ofsted and ask them.

Personally I think all parents should be looking on the Ofsted Web site or calling them or getting the details of cm from FIS then that is the only way they can be completely sure they are correctly registered.

I also give my parents when they have signed a contract a folder and a copy of my current PLI insurance cert is put in it along with the contact numbers should they wish to make a claim. I also put a copy of the Ofsted Poster in with my own Complaints Procedure so they have all the information they need to make a Complaint should they ever choose to.

When they get their folder there is a signing sheet with a list of everything they have been given so they can't turn round and say they haven't seen it!

Physically having the Reg Cert on the wall serves little purpose really and I hate having it there which is why it is removable

Simona
05-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Firstly the time has as far as I am aware been increased yet it is still only 2 hours.

If a cm was de registered they could indeed still display their old Cert but the min any parent checked it online or with Ofsted they would discover the truth.

I don't enclose a copy of my Cert in my parents folder I give the a copy of my most recent Ofsted Report.

My URN is on their Contract so they can check on my Registration at any time.

I have only been asked for a copy of my report 3 times in 20 years.

I doubt many visiting parents really look at my Cert and the Ofsted Poster though they are all taken past them. They are in a hanging plastic wallet on the Playroom door right next to the door the parents come in.

This Ofsted Factsheet does mention 3 hours...p 4 Section 7
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/factsheet-childcare-registration-not-required

We do indeed do procedures in a different way....some Cms provide Certificate and Ofsted inspection report as a matter of fact, whether during a visit or in the Parents info pack, while others wait to be asked....if they get asked at all.

It is a very personal choice