PDA

View Full Version : Painting playroom , insperation needed !

*daisychain*
02-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Right I have decided to paint the playroom this bank holiday weekend ( exciting I know :-/ ) at the moment it's a lime green colour , I'm toying with the idea of something neutral and calming . If you are lucky enough to have a playroom what colours have you gone for ? Neutral and calming or bright and bold ? :-)

lucytownsend
02-04-2015, 09:39 AM
I went with cream and an alphabet wall!

Maza
02-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Neutral and calming every time for me (if I had a playroom, that is!). The toys and resources make it look busy anyway and so you don't need sensory overload with busy, 'loud' walls and curtains. I'm quite sensitive when it comes to décor and find bold, bright colours just too much. You can always accessorize with different colour schemes if you get bored. x

shortstuff
02-04-2015, 10:03 AM
I agree with Maza, my whole house is boring magnolia throughout. It means I can change cushions and everything else freely without having wall colour to take into consideration.

That suits me as it is my mission to have 1 of every colour of kallax box available in my playroom :thumbsup:

lollipop kid
02-04-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree with Maza, my whole house is boring magnolia throughout. It means I can change cushions and everything else freely without having wall colour to take into consideration.

That suits me as it is my mission to have 1 of every colour of kallax box available in my playroom :thumbsup:

I've got two brothers who are painters and decorators, so the mere mention of "magnolia" brings me out in hives, as they once painted every wall in my parents' house with this colour, and I remember it making me feel physically sick, as it was also a little house where everyone smoked! (Shudder)

I discovered "Buttermilk" many years ago. It is an alternative to "magnolia". Rather than being on the peach spectrum, it is on the yellow spectrum. It is a colour that, as well as being calming, also makes me feel really happy.

Here it is with my alphabet monkeys. (A wacky resource, but the children love it - especially when we sing "five little monkeys jumping on the bed", or when they're learning the initial letter of their names. Each letter is attached with velcro so comes off easily.)

L

shortstuff
02-04-2015, 11:10 AM
I've got two brothers who are painters and decorators, so the mere mention of "magnolia" brings me out in hives, as they once painted every wall in my parents' house with this colour, and I remember it making me feel physically sick, as it was also a little house where everyone smoked! (Shudder)

I discovered "Buttermilk" many years ago. It is an alternative to "magnolia". Rather than being on the peach spectrum, it is on the yellow spectrum. It is a colour that, as well as being calming, also makes me feel really happy.

Here it is with my alphabet monkeys. (A wacky resource, but the children love it - especially when we sing "five little monkeys jumping on the bed", or when they're learning the initial letter of their names. Each letter is attached with velcro so comes off easily.)

L

I agree magnolia is a colour you either love or hate lol. Bit like marmite ( and as told by a boos previously me too :thumbsup:). oops should read boss but its funny so i will leave it there :D

Im in a rented house so its one im kinda stick with but luckily im in the love group :thumbsup:

Rarara
02-04-2015, 12:30 PM
I've just repainted mine from bright colours to a very pale grey and white. I like it!

Mouse
02-04-2015, 12:33 PM
My playroom walls are white, as is most of the furniture. It's only a small room, so white makes it seem bigger.

I would go for neutral colours every time. I often see photos posted on FB where playrooms are so busy with such bright colours that I think "nooo...that would be so distracting!" But each to their own...my plain white and pale colours probably seem very boring to some people.

hectors house
02-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Mine is a pale green - not that you can see much of it as has 2 doors and window and wall to ceiling storage. I just bought it because it was reduced to clear at Homebase! :D

I have seen recently on the facebook page where people have put down really bright jigsaw design vinyl flooring and most people have thought it was fantastic but I prefer neutral and it was too busy for me.

Rubybubbles
02-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Mine is magnolia, but I'm in RAF housing so everywhere is haha!

I have seen a gorgeous willow green which is calming yet still neutral. But my playroom boxes are red, black and cream so would need a change there too haha!

Nice to hear everyone so far likes it neutral and calming, I get a head ache looking at some play room pictures on fb haha
Which ever you go for let us see pictures of end result :-)

FloraDora
02-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Elizabeth Jarman has some interesting ideas around neutral being best for the learning environment. She has a Facebook and web page.

Maza
02-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Elizabeth Jarman has some interesting ideas around neutral being best for the learning environment. She has a Facebook and web page.

Steiner and Reggio too.

FussyElmo
02-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Our playroom/computer room.other living room is now recently repainted to grey and black and I LOVE it.

loocyloo
02-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Mine is buttermilk :-) with an oak laminate floor, white smooth cupboards and small table. White storage unit with clear plastic boxes.
I do have a darkish blue rug and a light blue blind. I have light blue notice boards but they usually have things on them.

I used to have the same colours in my old playroom but with lino road map flooring! I loved it, but wouldn't have it again!

clareelizabeth1
02-04-2015, 06:07 PM
I have a colour called rice cake. It is the exact shade of baby puke so by the end of the day I am colour coordinated with my walls

SYLVIA
02-04-2015, 06:24 PM
My playroom is a conservatory and only really has one big wall.Before childminding I painted it white, then stenciled a wisteria plant all over it. Although it has shelves covering some of it now, we use it to add pictures of insects, leaves etc to match seasons so it has a purpose.

hectors house
02-04-2015, 08:19 PM

Have been quoting her today in my coursework task "communication friendly spaces" :thumbsup:

*daisychain*
03-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for your input . I decided to go with Ivory , I'm liking already .. Only another day of painting to look forward to :-/

Maza
03-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Thank you all for your input . I decided to go with Ivory , I'm liking already .. Only another day of painting to look forward to :-/

Did the forum bully you into going neutral? I bet you would be too scared to tell us if you've really decided on 70s style floral orange and purples... x

*daisychain*
03-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Haha maza , you got me ! I've gone all out ... Even got me some lava lamps and beaded curtains for the doors :-)

Mouse
04-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Haha maza , you got me ! I've gone all out ... Even got me some lava lamps and beaded curtains for the doors :-)

And what's wrong with lava lamps?? I've got 2 in the playroom...and a fibre optic lamp!

hectors house
04-04-2015, 11:51 AM
And what's wrong with lava lamps?? I've got 2 in the playroom...and a fibre optic lamp!

I gave away 2 lava lamps as I couldn't work out how to put them anywhere safe - the top was glass and not fixed to the bases and I was worried that if I put on a window cill or shelf the children could pull on the cable and smash them.

lollipop kid
04-04-2015, 12:01 PM
I gave away 2 lava lamps as I couldn't work out how to put them anywhere safe - the top was glass and not fixed to the bases and I was worried that if I put on a window cill or shelf the children could pull on the cable and smash them.

I've got the same dilemma, so have just put them in my room.

Quick warning though: never put anything glass on a window ledge, as this is how lots of house fires start. I used to have a crystal ball (pretend one, honest!), which I gave to my teenage daughter when she was going through a Monster High dolls' phase. One day, I smelt burning from her room. The sun was streaming through her window and a beam of sunlight coming through the crystal ball had hit her carpet and had started to burn a hole in it.

Needless to say, the ball got moved rapidly.

I've since heard of a house-fire somewhere in South London where something similar happened. The sun came through a Nutella jar on the window ledge and burned the house down.

Finally, I learned from growing up in a wooden house (Chalet-type thing) never to put any mirrors on the walls of the house (opposite windows), just in case the sun came through the windows, hit the mirrors and burned the house down.

Just saying!

:blush:

L

Mouse
04-04-2015, 12:01 PM

One of mine is quite big and very heavy, so I had the same problem. I found space for it on a higher shelf with the wires tucked down the back :thumbsup:

I don't know about the children, but I find them very calming :D

hectors house
04-04-2015, 12:37 PM
I've got the same dilemma, so have just put them in my room.

Quick warning though: never put anything glass on a window ledge, as this is how lots of house fires start. I used to have a crystal ball (pretend one, honest!), which I gave to my teenage daughter when she was going through a Monster High dolls' phase. One day, I smelt burning from her room. The sun was streaming through her window and a beam of sunlight coming through the crystal ball had hit her carpet and had started to burn a hole in it.

Needless to say, the ball got moved rapidly.

I've since heard of a house-fire somewhere in South London where something similar happened. The sun came through a Nutella jar on the window ledge and burned the house down.

Finally, I learned from growing up in a wooden house (Chalet-type thing) never to put any mirrors on the walls of the house (opposite windows), just in case the sun came through the windows, hit the mirrors and burned the house down.

Just saying!

:blush:

L

When I was growing up we had a goldfish in a round glass bowl and the sun came through that and burnt a mark on my mums dresser.