PDA

View Full Version : greedy or hungry!

TinyTinker
01-04-2015, 01:26 PM
may sound bad, but can't think how else to describe, lol. I have 2 lo from the same family 5 and almost 3. Both eat their meals and snacks with me like it's gonna be their last, stuffing it in as quick as possible, always asking for more more more! I think the portions they have are well enough for a child their age!

Always trying it on for more or something else. Now if they were skinny little things I would be thinking they were malnourished, but they are both chunky build.

we had 2 birthday's over the weekend so I had cake left over from both, on Monday I allowed them to have a slice of one as their afternoon snack for a treat - 5yo stuffed it down asap and then asked when we were having the second cake!:mad: And hasn't stopped asking when we are having it since!

Today we made Easter cupcakes, I bought enough ingredients for each child to make their own batch of 12, they made them from scratch, baked them and then cooled and decorated them. When I bought them out to decorate 3yo started eating her way into the cakes! When all finished they were happy and proud of their creations, I allowed them to eat one of their own cakes each - while still chewing they asked if they could have more - I said no, you're taking them home, it's then up to mummy if you have more today or not - they then threw strops and stomped off to playroom to sulk as I didn't allow them to eat more cakes:(

How do you deal with children who appear 'greedy' how do you gauge if a child has had enough food at a meal time and when to keep feeding/making larger portions etc? and example is this child would eat the equivalent of 3 child sized dinner in one sitting!

Ripeberry
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
I would speak to the parents and work with them. They must get this at home. Maybe the parents have put them on a diet! :panic:

Mouse
01-04-2015, 02:08 PM
I used to look after a brother & sister who were obsessed with food.

As soon as they arrived in the morning they'd be asking what was for snack, when was snack time, was it snack time now, can we have snack when we've finished this...then after snack time they'd start on about lunch! They'd eat in record time, then want more.

I think they used to eat so fast that their bodies didn't have time to register the fact that they had eaten anything. I started handing them one thing at a time and making them eat slower. It was a pain having to sit with them for a meal and constantly be saying "take a bite, put your sandwich back on your plate, chew your food slowly, wait...now pick your sandwich up again, take a bite, put it back on your plate..."

I don't think they ever grew out of i, but at least I got them eating slower.

And I used their obsession with food to teach them colours, counting, sorting, everything really :thumbsup:

sing-low
01-04-2015, 06:30 PM
If my kids claim to be hungry all the time, I offer salad veg - cucumber or carrot sticks (funnily enough they often decide they're not really hungry after all!)

FloraDora
01-04-2015, 07:34 PM
I read a daily guidelines recently but can't put my hand on it at the moment! I will endeavour to find it and sign post you.
I would keep within the guidelines therefore having a backup if parents question.

I think all you can do is stick to your rules, the children will ask or stuff themselves, you can reinforce politeness etc....

You could write in their diaries that they always seem to be hungry, you could do a pretend all about me project and be surprised at their weight?!

The 5 year old will be having the annual weigh in at school and if overweight will receive a letter which might help.

Perhaps you could give all your parents nutritional information and say with this info you are reviewing your menus and food policies, ask for parents thoughts...a good way in to discuss??

Always difficult !!

blue bear
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Are they overweight? I once watched a programme (on adults but I'm sure it probably applies to children too) that said when you are underweight your brains gets messages you are full and hence you continue to under eat. When you are over weight your brain sends messages you are hungry and you over eating, it was all to do with chemical imbalances.
Could this be happening with your two siblings do you think.

mummytotwo
02-04-2015, 07:46 AM
I actually have this problem with my 5 yr old son and it's just started with my 3 yr old daughter. They're both slim and very active! I don't allow sweets or junk food constantly, just a 'sweet thing' for pudding after dinner. I'm assuming they're going through a growth spurt because they're constantly asking for food or a snack.....it's starting to drive me insane!

I buy a huge amount of fruit incl. bananas, apples, grapes, melon, kiwi, satsumas but I'm getting through a big bowl in only a couple of days. We do have snacks of fruit, bread sticks, cucumber, carrot, brioche etc. but nothing is ever enough.
I've started making them have porridge for breakfast hoping that this will keep them going a bit longer but it doesn't. For breakfast my son will have a bowl of cereal, then 2 slices of toast & then some fruit. Within the hour he's asking for more.

I know that they're not starving, I think it's a combination of a growth spurt and habit eating. I'm hoping it will pass.

It may be a similar thing for the children that you care for, unless ofcourse they are overweight in which case you may need to discuss your healthy eating policy with the parents. It's pointless you trying to control their intake if they're going to be allowed to stuff their faces at home : S

Mollymop
02-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Ah it does sound as if the children are eating for the heck of it, doesn't it.

They must be used to over eating.

I used to childmind a little boy who would stuff and stuff his packet lunch I used to have to push his hand down if not he would gag on his food

He is a rather large lad now, but mum used to pack lots in his lunch box which worried me - at age 2 he would have 2 rounds of bread for toasting, a mall tin of bins, crisps, cheese string, yogurt, chic roll and a side salad! (the salad was cos they were all dieting at home!)

Way too much food.

Once I caught him in my kitchen helping himself to a packet of biscuits that were left on the side, he was stuffing them in his mouth.

The only thing you can do is just be consistent and work with parents.

Maza
02-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Are they like that with healthy food too or is it just sweet food?

Someone mentioned on a similar thread that protein foods fill you up and I am reading this more and more in adult diet books. Protein snacks tend to be more expensive though - maybe you will have to speak to mum and put up your prices. Could you include eggs for breakfast and then ham, chicken, peanut butter etc for snacks? Maybe at meal times increase the portion size for protein.

I would also have to tackle their etiquette (lack of). I can't stand the behaviour you described (obviously if they were food deprived you could understand it, but it doesn't seem like your little ones are). x

watford wizz
02-04-2015, 02:23 PM
This doesn't sound within "the norm" and is obviously worrying you. Lots of good ideas suggested and just wanted to open another that this could be a sign of abuse. I know you say the children are "chunky " and don't seem undernourished but food can be used as a way of controlling children in the extreme and this is what has taught them to eat so quickly. In case it's taken away. Only you can judge on this one but I would be logging things and be cautious talking with mum.
There are also diagnosable syndromes which can cause over eating. Perhaps have a chat with their health visitor. You don't need to break confidences, name names just general chat with someone who would perhaps have more experience in this area.
Don't forget to log everything to protect yourself xx

TinyTinker
02-04-2015, 06:27 PM
only just got back to reading this! all great advise thanks!

It can't be a growth spurt, they have been with me since the older was 1 and the younger 7 months! but the older getting worse with age and younger is copying I think. I started charging for meals in November, but offered them to have a keep you going snack instead of dinner for cheaper price - they go home at 5 so easily have time to have dinner with parents. I have told mum on numerous occasions that it is just a snack they are having with me and cannot be classed as a meal! The children say they only get more fruit or toast when they get home after only having that kind of thing with me! older has hot dinners at school so is getting a big meal once a day, younger has my lunch which depending on the menu can be ham sandwich, crisps, salad sticks and yogurt, so lo is only getting this, then a snack then another snack!:(

It really got to me yesterday, I had to tell older one 8 times that he wasn't getting birthday cake, and he kept going on and on about his easter cakes all day, then he argued with me at the dinner table that he should be getting some (even tho his mum chose for them to have snacks) other children and me were eating cooked dinner. I said not to argue with me and that this was what his mum has asked for him, and he just kept saying but we don't get dinner at home!

Spoke to mum at collection about his demanding argumentative behavior about food, she said he's been like it at home a lot once he gets it into his head that he deserves something he keeps going on and on about it. She said there's nothing she can do but keep saying no and hope he starts to understand. It is really like he is obsessing on it once he gets a food item in his mind and wants it, he cannot control himself going on about it.

They are like this with all food not just sweet treat food, but worse when it is a treat! Lo also tries to take other children's food if I am not looking, and is obsessed with other children's packed lunches, going on and on about what they have in them etc.

They are not over weight, just not skinny if you see what I mean, Older one does have trouble walking to school though as he's not very fit, and lo does a lot of sitting about and really needs encouraging to be active.

will log everything and my concerns and yes possibly talk to a health visitor.

lollipop kid
02-04-2015, 06:47 PM
only just got back to reading this! all great advise thanks!

It can't be a growth spurt, they have been with me since the older was 1 and the younger 7 months! but the older getting worse with age and younger is copying I think. I started charging for meals in November, but offered them to have a keep you going snack instead of dinner for cheaper price - they go home at 5 so easily have time to have dinner with parents. I have told mum on numerous occasions that it is just a snack they are having with me and cannot be classed as a meal! The children say they only get more fruit or toast when they get home after only having that kind of thing with me! older has hot dinners at school so is getting a big meal once a day, younger has my lunch which depending on the menu can be ham sandwich, crisps, salad sticks and yogurt, so lo is only getting this, then a snack then another snack!:(

It really got to me yesterday, I had to tell older one 8 times that he wasn't getting birthday cake, and he kept going on and on about his easter cakes all day, then he argued with me at the dinner table that he should be getting some (even tho his mum chose for them to have snacks) other children and me were eating cooked dinner. I said not to argue with me and that this was what his mum has asked for him, and he just kept saying but we don't get dinner at home!

Spoke to mum at collection about his demanding argumentative behavior about food, she said he's been like it at home a lot once he gets it into his head that he deserves something he keeps going on and on about it. She said there's nothing she can do but keep saying no and hope he starts to understand. It is really like he is obsessing on it once he gets a food item in his mind and wants it, he cannot control himself going on about it.

They are like this with all food not just sweet treat food, but worse when it is a treat! Lo also tries to take other children's food if I am not looking, and is obsessed with other children's packed lunches, going on and on about what they have in them etc.

They are not over weight, just not skinny if you see what I mean, Older one does have trouble walking to school though as he's not very fit, and lo does a lot of sitting about and really needs encouraging to be active.

will log everything and my concerns and yes possibly talk to a health visitor.

So they're not getting dinner when they get home and are asking for the same as the other children when you're doing dinner (but Mum doesn't want to pay for dinner).

Is there any way you could maybe just make a slightly bigger batch of food so they can have some dinner with you, without it costing you too much more? Then mention to Mum that you've started giving them cooked dinner as it was hard for you to exclude them from dinner when the others are eating it, and maybe find a way of keeping the snack/dinner charge the same for them? (I just wouldn't have the heart not to feed a child if I thought that was their last chance of a decent dinner that day.) Baked potatoes with cheese/beans/tuna etc., omelettes, boiled egg on toast, poached egg on toast, peanut butter and banana on toast etc. don't cost loads but are very filling.

Good luck. I really feel for you. I've been in the same situation. In my case, the mum was a bit of a gourmet and turned her nose up at the evening meals I served. But when her child insisted on these instead of her meals, then she just let him get on with it, so long as he went home happy and satisfied. Hope this is all it is, and is easily solved.

All the best,

L

yummyripples
03-04-2015, 08:00 AM
I have a friend with a child like this. I don't know what causes it but I'm pretty sure it's nothing the mum is doing.
We went on holiday with them and her son can eat all day if she lets him. He will eat his own meal and then quite happily finish other people's meals, have dessert and then ask for waffles as we are strolling out in the evening.
I think it's a shame that the children are not eating the same as the others - they must feel really left out (not your fault I realise).
I would explain this to mum and ask her to reconsider, although personally I feel that all the children should be eating their evening meal with their parents.

blue bear
03-04-2015, 08:31 AM
What did mum say about the children's evening meal. Are they getting one?

tess1981
03-04-2015, 10:26 AM
I have a friend with a child like this. I don't know what causes it but I'm pretty sure it's nothing the mum is doing.
We went on holiday with them and her son can eat all day if she lets him. He will eat his own meal and then quite happily finish other people's meals, have dessert and then ask for waffles as we are strolling out in the evening.
I think it's a shame that the children are not eating the same as the others - they must feel really left out (not your fault I realise).
I would explain this to mum and ask her to reconsider, although personally I feel that all the children should be eating their evening meal with their parents.

I never provide an evening meal.... I do think it's important parents sit with their children after a long day of not seeing them and eat together .... sometimes I think they want us to leave the children home and put them to bed for them

TinyTinker
03-04-2015, 03:29 PM
just to say that it is only my children and me and hubby eating the cooked meal, as all minded children's parents have chosen to have the snack option as they all leave aroubnd 5/5.15pm so all say they will eat at home :) we only eat early as my children are always ready for their meal and hubby has to leave at 5 and wants to eat before he goes.

I usually sit all snack children down to eat together at the table, then they go and have free play in the play room (viewable from dinner table) while we eat, so they are not essentially sitting eating a snack while we eat a cooked meal.

My hourly rate is already stupidly cheap which is why I put the fees on meals as didn't want to put up hourly rate for those that were not here for meals etc.

Gill Brownsword
03-04-2015, 07:47 PM
I have a relative with a child like this and he is very active and skinny but they are made differently! I have found drinks help as sometimes they aren't hungry just thirsty. Maybe a drink before during and after the snack to pad it out.
Good luck!