PDA

View Full Version : AHHHHHH What have I done?

hectors house
30-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Just had a potential new parent leave - child is coming next week for a 2 hour settle in session,
child is 20 months and still breast fed on demand,
in cloth nappies (that stink),
won't settle in a cot - has to fall asleep while being breast fed in the car or buggy,
has an open beaker and is allowed to tip water all over the place
has just emptied my fruit bowl and scoffed half the fruit!

I know I like a challenge but this one may be several points too far.

Thank goodness I updated my childcare.co.uk profile and my leaflet and increased my fees by 20p an hour.

I shouldn't be surprised as the parents e-mail address should have made it obvious what kind of parenting she preferred :(

sing-low
30-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Sounds like you will have to be very firm from the start with both parent and child. But don't write them off before you've even started, it may be fine.

shortstuff
30-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Ooh all i can say is good luck!

AliceK
30-03-2015, 03:39 PM
You are braver than me :panic:

xxx

Mouse
30-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Introduce them to your rules from the beginning and you'll have some hope of breaking them in!

Move the fruit bowl, don't let them walk round with a beaker of water... buy some air freshener and make sure you have a quick get out clause in your contract :D

KateA
30-03-2015, 03:57 PM
You are a lot braver than me would not take on, also its in policy's parents provide disposable nappies, I am sorry but I am not scrapping poo out of cloth nappies for any amount of money.

I have just canceled an interview I was doing for new potential client who wanted one day a week for an 1 yr asap on the same day I have just taken on a 5 month old baby who only started on friday, after thinking about it and worrying decided did not need the stress and would rather get the baby settled first.

hectors house
30-03-2015, 04:41 PM
You are a lot braver than me would not take on, also its in policy's parents provide disposable nappies, I am sorry but I am not scrapping poo out of cloth nappies for any amount of money.

I have just canceled an interview I was doing for new potential client who wanted one day a week for an 1 yr asap on the same day I have just taken on a 5 month old baby who only started on friday, after thinking about it and worrying decided did not need the stress and would rather get the baby settled first.

I did ask her if it was ok if I put child in a disposable when we are out and she said that was ok (especially as they use reuseable liners too). I have said that I will work on rocking child to sleep in buggy in hall while others asleep but will work on getting her self settle in buggy upstairs and then see if cot is an option.

Will definitely be giving her beaker with lid on Mouse and have never had to move fruit bowl so will work on saying no and moving her away but she's a big strong willed child - really glad that I increased my fees by 20p - if I'd have had a crystal ball though I would have increased it by 50p!

k1rstie
30-03-2015, 04:52 PM
I had a child who had reusable nappies plus reusable liners. They were to my surprise okay. By the time of potty training the nappies were not in pristine condition.

lisbet
30-03-2015, 05:51 PM
If you and the Mum get on well, the practical details should sort themselves out :)

Once the LO feels safe with you they'll adapt to a new way of dropping off to sleep.

I used cloth nappies with my own children and they should not smell of anything unless pooed in (perhaps there are some washing issues?) If they continue to be stinky, maybe Mum will agree that you can use disposables whilst the LO is with you?

When did you say you say your next fee increase was due?

loocyloo
30-03-2015, 06:11 PM
If you and the Mum get on well, the practical details should sort themselves out.

:-) that was my first thought.
Good luck and I hope mum is on board. Xx

alex__17
30-03-2015, 06:43 PM
I also used cloth and they didn't smell unless dirty...also I doubt she'll expect you to deal with cleaning them! Just wrap them up as you would a disposable and ask her to provide a zipped wetbag, put all dirty ones in there and send home. They may need changing a bit more often but you'll have less stinky disposables sat in your black bin till bin day... :-)

I had a lo start that was rocked or cuddled to sleep and within a couple of days sleeping in buggy in my dining room, don't even bother with cot as no point changing what works! No crying it out I think I was v lucky, today she went to climb in the buggy after lunch, closed her eyes before I'd done up straps and slept 3 hours (I woke her! ), and she's a happy little darling all the time, def don't write them off yet but do be v firm fron the outset

Maza
30-03-2015, 07:50 PM
What on earth did the mum do when the little one was helping herself to fruit?
You HAVE to let us know how you get on!

KatieFS
30-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Well all I can say is good luck - you're going to be busy!

mumofone
30-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Just had a potential new parent leave - child is coming next week for a 2 hour settle in session, child is 20 months and still breast fed on demand, in cloth nappies (that stink), won't settle in a cot - has to fall asleep while being breast fed in the car or buggy, has an open beaker and is allowed to tip water all over the place has just emptied my fruit bowl and scoffed half the fruit! I know I like a challenge but this one may be several points too far. Thank goodness I updated my childcare.co.uk profile and my leaflet and increased my fees by 20p an hour. I shouldn't be surprised as the parents e-mail address should have made it obvious what kind of parenting she preferred :(

Parents email address?! I'm
Intrigued! ....

hectors house
30-03-2015, 08:57 PM
If you and the Mum get on well, the practical details should sort themselves out :)

Once the LO feels safe with you they'll adapt to a new way of dropping off to sleep.

I used cloth nappies with my own children and they should not smell of anything unless pooed in (perhaps there are some washing issues?) If they continue to be stinky, maybe Mum will agree that you can use disposables whilst the LO is with you?

I used old fashioned terry nappies, disposable liners and plastic pants (where the elastic left big marks on legs) so I have used cloth nappies (albeit 25+ years ago) back then in the dark ages, we put nappies to soak in a bucket with napisan powder and then boiled washed them and hung on washing line. The mum who came today says that you don't have to use Napisan these days and she washes the nappies at 40 degrees with Ecover washing powder. I didn't smell the nappy while the child was wearing it but when the mum changed a wet nappy before they left the smell of ammonia was really strong and lingered long after the child had left. How can a 40 degree wash kill any bacteria, my nappies never smelt like this?

hectors house
30-03-2015, 09:01 PM
What on earth did the mum do when the little one was helping herself to fruit?
You HAVE to let us know how you get on!

To start with she just kept taking out bananas and playing with them and I kept putting them back, then she snapped off the stalk off of one so I said to the mum shall I cut it up for her so she can eat it up to the table (trying to make it clear that I don't allow children to walk around eating), so I ended sitting up all children and giving them an unexpected afternoon snack, then when child got down she took a bite out of an apple and then started on the satsumas - at this point I picked her and moved her to lounge to distract her. She won't get away with that again!

smurfette
30-03-2015, 09:26 PM
I really hate kids helping themselves to food.. One of my mindees just unpacks the cupboards and opens packets left right and centre. Never allowed my girls to do that they ask if they want a snack!

lisbet
30-03-2015, 09:33 PM
I used old fashioned terry nappies, disposable liners and plastic pants (where the elastic left big marks on legs) so I have used cloth nappies (albeit 25+ years ago) back then in the dark ages, we put nappies to soak in a bucket with napisan powder and then boiled washed them and hung on washing line. The mum who came today says that you don't have to use Napisan these days and she washes the nappies at 40 degrees with Ecover washing powder. I didn't smell the nappy while the child was wearing it but when the mum changed a wet nappy before they left the smell of ammonia was really strong and lingered long after the child had left. How can a 40 degree wash kill any bacteria, my nappies never smelt like this?

Ammonia smell is a sign of bacteria/ detergent build-up. If it somehow comes up in conversation ;) BioD Nappy Fresh is a good (and 'eco') sanitiser to add to a 40 degree wash.

I preferred to wash my nappies at 60 degrees on a thorough cotton wash with the 'extra water' option (and I loved seeing them blowing around on the washing line :o)

Hope LO is sweeter-smelling next time!

alex__17
30-03-2015, 09:42 PM
I agree a 60 wash every time, and add a nappy sanitiser when they get stinky!

mumofone
31-03-2015, 07:41 AM
I think I would be tempted to even do a 90 degree wash if there was p@@ involved!

clareelizabeth1
31-03-2015, 07:49 AM
I had washable nappies and again never smelled. I used tots bots potion specially designed to allow you to wash at 30 always washed higher though. It was antibacterial so made me feel happier. Also never had a poo explosion. Also found that giving them a quick 15 min wash before main wash made them even cleaner. Might of just been in my head though.

watgem
03-04-2015, 11:14 AM
ooh Hector I remember the days of napisan and nappy pails, my nappies went n the boil wash lol, don't think 40 degrees would kill the germs? good luck my lovely once she's settled she will probably quickly get used to yur rulesxxx

Maza
03-04-2015, 11:21 AM
ooh Hector I remember the days of napisan and nappy pails, my nappies went n the boil wash lol, don't think 40 degrees would kill the germs? good luck my lovely once she's settled she will probably quickly get used to yur rulesxxx

I'm sure the baby will get used to your rules, they usually do, but what concerns me is the parents attitude. If she stood by and watched her child eat the fruit then pick ups/drop offs could become annoying - we all know many children play up at these times. You will have to lay down the law from day 1 to the parents about expected behaviour or your handovers could be very stressful. (I'm a fine one to talk about behaviour at pick up, but hopefully I've learnt my lesson for future mindees!)

hectors house
07-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Had the lo here this morning for a 2 hours settling in session - she was no trouble, enjoyed doing singing, reading stories, free play with toys (although she did laugh at me when I said no when she was throwing wooden bricks).

Changed her nappy after snack - it had exploded all over the outer wrapper, so I ended up sluicing everything in the loo and just putting her in cloth nappy with tights over the top - it was only 1/2 hour until her dad came to collect. Must make sure parents bring several cloth nappies, spare wrapper and spare clothes next time. I did text to say if they were going out after collecting from me to bring a spare wrapper but the dad forgot, so he made a temp one using one of my carrier bags - just as well I don't just have cloth bags like they do as that was 2 they have used of mine today as had to put the sluiced out nappies in one too.

Also the Child record form came back (as I had half expected) saying vegetarian, minimal cows milk, sugar and wheat - does anyone have any tasty vegetarian cooked lunch recipes please. (she doesn't have fish either).

bunyip
07-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Parents email address?! I'm
Intrigued! ....

figjam@fussymummy.com ;)

...........and don't report it as a bad link: I made it up. :doh:

hectors house
07-04-2015, 03:32 PM
figjam@fussymummy.com ;)

...........and don't report it as a bad link: I made it up. :doh:

Good guess - you're getting warmer!

bunyip
07-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Good guess - you're getting warmer!

cantwaittomakelifehellforsomepoorsapofachildminder @ attachmentparenting.co.uk ? :huh:

blue bear
07-04-2015, 05:46 PM
I got a call today for a little one needing childcare, has been attached to mummy from birth and never left even with daddy. Mummy went on to tell me how she needed to find a childminder with lots of patcience as the child was not used to being put down ever as it upset mummy to see her child cry, oh and lo needed to start next Monday full time.
I've got to say I felt guilty giving her other childminders numbers :blush:

mumofone
07-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I got a call today for a little one needing childcare, has been attached to mummy from birth and never left even with daddy. Mummy went on to tell me how she needed to find a childminder with lots of patcience as the child was not used to being put down ever as it upset mummy to see her child cry, oh and lo needed to start next Monday full time. I've got to say I felt guilty giving her other childminders numbers :blush:

Lol too funny!

JCrakers
08-04-2015, 07:40 AM
I got a call today for a little one needing childcare, has been attached to mummy from birth and never left even with daddy. Mummy went on to tell me how she needed to find a childminder with lots of patcience as the child was not used to being put down ever as it upset mummy to see her child cry, oh and lo needed to start next Monday full time.
I've got to say I felt guilty giving her other childminders numbers :blush:

Lol..Blue Bear!! Glad you're not in my neighbourhood :laughing:

loocyloo
08-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Lol..Blue Bear!! Glad you're not in my neighbourhood :laughing:

Just what I thought!