PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about starting a childminding business?

vjones
30-03-2015, 02:36 PM
I am thinking of starting my own childminding business. How do i go about doing this. Any advice is welcome.

Rick
30-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Hi some good info here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

TinyTinker
04-04-2015, 06:57 PM
one thing for sure is to get yourself a website, most of my business comes via this route more than childcare.co.uk and family information services.

mumofone
04-04-2015, 07:00 PM
one thing for sure is to get yourself a website, most of my business comes via this route more than childcare.co.uk and family information services.

Out of interest, how do people find/stumble across your website in the first place TT? :-)

Rick
04-04-2015, 07:35 PM
I have a free website from Moonfruit which I did myself. I have added the link wherever I have advertised, such as FB groups and childcare.co.uk. It just gives prospective parents the chance to find out a bit more about me before they enquire.

If you were to type my business name in Google, my website is at the top and I haven't paid a penny

moggy
04-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Not necessarily, I have never had a website and see no need for one myself.

I have filled every vacancy with in weeks and have a waiting list. I am full (EYFS) everyday and have been for years. All through local authority listing, childcare.co.uk and other free listing sites, as well as word of mouth, recommendations and from other CMers passing on enquiries.

loocyloo
04-04-2015, 08:08 PM
I have a website, but 99% of my work is and was word of mouth/childcare.co.uk/fis/other websites that may point people towards my website.

k1rstie
04-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I have a link to my website from Childcare.co.uk.

I can get the data from my websites about where people started of before they got to my website. Most came via a referral, so via either my local authority listing or Childcare.co.uk.

You could spend sometime getting a website address that would be easily found from a word search- such as town name childminder.co.uk rather than a cutie childminding name. If you put in my town name and childminder into a google search, I am usually the highest.

shortstuff
05-04-2015, 07:02 AM
I also have a website. The difference for me is i dont have links anywhere to it. It has been optimised by the guy that designed and runs it so it appears 1st if any parents search cm with my local area name. I have gained a few of my children from this.

Simona
05-04-2015, 07:56 AM
I am thinking of starting my own childminding business. How do i go about doing this. Any advice is welcome.

You are going to be self employed so running your own business as well as entering the EY sector and its regulation via Ofsted and legislation via the DfE...so you have 2 very different aspects to reflect on.

Your LA will run 'childminders' briefing' sessions for those who want to register...they vary in how much help and support they offer afterwards but now you are free to go and do your initial training anywhere you like apart from Safeguarding which has to be LA based

When you attend those briefings you may very well hear of the option of joining a CM Agency...this is now common practice as Cms agencies are registering now

Get hold of the EYFS and look at the requirements because you will have 'documentation' for children's progress and 'paperwork' for your business and administration.
Consider whether you would attend any good 'starting your business' courses so you know all about the financial side of it, taxes and Inland Revenue.
There are some good EY trainers for this purpose.
There are webinars available but my view is they are not that good but ok as a starter.

Also look at joining a representing association for membership and Public Liability insurance ...3 are now representing CMs.

You can do all your accounts or look at employing an accountant....running your business has many huge benefits but it also has complicated financial rules

Good luck!