PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding training, how often? Confused!

tiredandemotional
29-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Hi all. I wondered if someone could help please? My safeguarding training is coming up for 3 years old in May and I assumed I would have to repeat it soon. In fact the local pre school is running a session on Tuesday and have a place for me. However, I had a visit from PACEY recently (to update me on changes as I had been on mat leave) and was told that there is no 'expiry date' on dafeguarding. People get it confused with First aid which is every 3 years. I can't find any reference to dates in the updated EYFS, or am I missing something?! I would rather save my time and money if I don't have to renew, as my policies etc are all up-to-date anyway.

Fitrix
29-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I am in the same position but cannot get on a refresher course in my area. I did an online course (so much quicker and easier and time efficient) but have no idea if this covers me for another three years? I believe it is considered good practice to refresh every 3 years but not a requirement. I'd welcome some clarification on this too. My EY advisor seems clueless about it......

moggy
29-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Certainly a good idea to refresh every 3 years, things change there are new risks identified, new local procedures etc. But there is not a strict expiry date like there is for first aid.

Simona
30-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Hi all. I wondered if someone could help please? My safeguarding training is coming up for 3 years old in May and I assumed I would have to repeat it soon. In fact the local pre school is running a session on Tuesday and have a place for me. However, I had a visit from PACEY recently (to update me on changes as I had been on mat leave) and was told that there is no 'expiry date' on dafeguarding. People get it confused with First aid which is every 3 years. I can't find any reference to dates in the updated EYFS, or am I missing something?! I would rather save my time and money if I don't have to renew, as my policies etc are all up-to-date anyway.

The advice you have received is correct...there is no expiry date on Safeguarding....there is a basic training and also refreshers...as they are called./
LAs tend to have their own conditions or guidance....safeguarding should also be free therough your LA

There is also online training on safeguarding...the most important thing is to do the one that has your LA Local Safeguarding Children's Board information...because every LA has different requirements that you need to reflect in your policy
Most LAs will probably be updating their policy and inform providers.

The DfE 'Working together to safeguard children' document has been updated as of March 2015....so training would be good to redo and LAs should inform providers on this change as safeguarding training is 'statutory'

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417632/Working_Together_to_Safeguard_Children.pdf

'What to do if you are worried about a child being abused' has been updated too

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/416455/What_to_do_if_you_re_worried_a_child_is_being_abus ed.pdf

Ofsted have also updated their Safeguarding guidance a while back

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ofsted-safeguarding-policy

There are some minor changes in words in the new docs ...so policies need to be updated too
Hope this helps