PDA

View Full Version : Starting points

mumofone
28-03-2015, 07:39 PM
I think I'm still not clear about childrens starting points. I've done an "all about me" equivalent document which covers family info, nap/sleeps, toilet training etc but is this considered "starting points" or do I need something else in addition that notes what a child can DO as opposed to just about them? Thanks for any advice....

natlou82
28-03-2015, 08:02 PM
I gather all of the info you are planning to, I do settling in sessions then have a chat with parents regarding development what they can do etc the new parents guide "what I can do when" could be very useful for this. I then observe them over the next 6 weeks or so and do a baseline assessment which will also incorporate the parents feedback from our earlier chat. Hope that makes sense x

natlou82
28-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Sorry I meant "what to expect when?". Have you heard when your pre reg visit is yet?

moggy
28-03-2015, 08:07 PM
On the last page of my All About Me I put a sheet with 3 big boxes (for under-3s so only Prime Areas):
'PSED', 'PD', 'CL'- I list the 'Aspects' per Area and give some examples in plain English. I ask parents to write in there what their child can do in those 3 areas. This the basis for your Starting Points- you just need to check what they say is true (!) and add to it anything else you observe in first few days/weeks, then check if child is generally fitting in the right age/stage.

You can provide the new document for parents 'What to Expect, When?' from here: What to expect, when? A parents' guide | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/what-to-expect-when-a-parents-guide/)

...which will help give parents a guide to what you need to know, the kinds of things you are looking for.
You could give all new EYFS parents a copy- a wise investment I think as it will make your life easier, you can buy them in bulk packs of 10.

mumofone
28-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Sorry I meant "what to expect when?". Have you heard when your pre reg visit is yet?

I had it, my certificate arrived today! Finally!! Yay!!! :-)

natlou82
28-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Brill, well done :-D do you have any families lined up yet?

mumofone
28-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Brill, well done :-D do you have any families lined up yet?

Yep 3.....I just need some more now! :-)

Simona
29-03-2015, 06:56 AM
I think I'm still not clear about childrens starting points. I've done an "all about me" equivalent document which covers family info, nap/sleeps, toilet training etc but is this considered "starting points" or do I need something else in addition that notes what a child can DO as opposed to just about them? Thanks for any advice....

I would work together with the parents on the 'starting points'...take advantage of the new doc 'What to expect, when?' and work with them on what they say their child can do against your observations.....those will lead you to assess their current abilities/knowledge and plan Next Steps with the parents.
Some people plan straight away...but good practice is to observe a child for a few weeks so their starting points emerge and assessment is more targetted

Some cms do use All About Me ...which has been designed by LAs...other use their own format....my starting points go in the child's LJ as he/she starts her 'learning journey'

Good luck and well done on getting your certificate.

mumofone
29-03-2015, 04:38 PM
I would work together with the parents on the 'starting points'...take advantage of the new doc 'What to expect, when?' and work with them on what they say their child can do against your observations.....those will lead you to assess their current abilities/knowledge and plan Next Steps with the parents. Some people plan straight away...but good practice is to observe a child for a few weeks so their starting points emerge and assessment is more targetted Some cms do use All About Me ...which has been designed by LAs...other use their own format....my starting points go in the child's LJ as he/she starts her 'learning journey' Good luck and well done on getting your certificate.

Thanks Simona :-)

Sammy Jo T
29-03-2015, 07:47 PM
I had it, my certificate arrived today! Finally!! Yay!!! :-)

That's excellent! Congratulations x

mumofone
29-03-2015, 08:25 PM
That's excellent! Congratulations x

Thanks sammyjo, how are you getting on? :-)