PDA

View Full Version : Advice please- 3 year old mindee

lpatters
27-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi all. I'm new to childminding and have a 3 year old mindee who comes once a week. She attends nursery the other 4 days. Should I still do a learning journey? What's the best way of communicating with the nursery? What happens if nursery do not share childrens work? What sort of things should I be asking to see? Sorry for all the questions x

sarah707
28-03-2015, 08:37 AM
You are responsible for delivering the Eyfs while the child is with you - and you need to hammer on nursery's door to get them to share information with you so you can complement the child's learning ...

You don't need to do huge amounts -

Child is learning about spring at nursery and doing some planting...

While with you child is planting some bulbs and spotting new growth on a visit to the park... you have also bought a book about spring changes to read together :D

mumofone
28-03-2015, 09:27 AM
You are responsible for delivering the Eyfs while the child is with you - and you need to hammer on nursery's door to get them to share information with you so you can complement the child's learning ... You don't need to do huge amounts - Child is learning about spring at nursery and doing some planting... While with you child is planting some bulbs and spotting new growth on a visit to the park... you have also bought a book about spring changes to read together :D

Sorry to jump on your thread lPatters..
Hi sarah, if the nursery doesn't/won't communicate this with you can you obtain such info through the parents, is this acceptable?

watford wizz
28-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I do an intro letter to nursery, I understand from parents child is with you xyz bit about me, as fellow childcare professional and what I offer. Then bit about the child ie hours with me. End with looking forward to working with you in supporting x and sharing info. I ask what best way for them to share info ie contact book, e-mail, termly get together?
I get parents to sign to say they agree and give original to nursery and copies for me and parent.

Some settings respond, some do not but at least I have proof that I have tried. I don't use parent as go between. Register post direct then you know they have received you letter.

I always put at the bottom of the letter the areas of the EYO my letter is covering ie working together and safeguarding.

If they do contact me then I log everything that is said giving copies to be signed by nursery and parent and giving copies to all parties involved.
Hope this helps.

TinyTinker
31-03-2015, 02:51 PM
I have big problems with nurseries and schools near me! I was lucky that when my daughter and 2 mindees were at school nursery together when they had open mornings I used to attend to see all 3 and looked at all of their learning journals done there and talk to the teachers. But a private nursery near me doesn't want to know what children do with me and only ever did a quick update if I collected, parents sometimes gave me learning journals to return if I was dropping off so had a peek then!

No the children are in reception they get sent home a half termly sheet about the topics and themes they are working on, so I kind of go along with them :)

sarah707
31-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Sorry to jump on your thread lPatters..
Hi sarah, if the nursery doesn't/won't communicate this with you can you obtain such info through the parents, is this acceptable?

Keep hacking away at the nursery - and yes get your information from whoever shares with you :D