PDA

View Full Version : British Values

QualityCare
27-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Fundamental British Values in the Early Years | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/fundamental-british-values-in-the-early-years/)

Just seen this link to Fundamental British Values in the Early Years

moggy
27-03-2015, 07:27 PM
A lot of common sense in there and clearly not a lot for us to do differently. Good.

Simona
28-03-2015, 08:22 AM
I think that 4 Children...the DfE funded strategic partner...has just discovered what embeds early learning in the EYFS and what common values are really all about...not really rocket science but common decency amongst other things?

I think the vast majority of those values are UNIVERSAL values!.....well some countries respect them better than others!

One thing I like to see pushed by this govt and its so called strategic partner is respect for children's Rights...that too should be a fundamental value....like abolishing child poverty, the right to play, the right to thrive and not having to rely on food banks if you grow up in poverty.

All in all what they are telling us to teach under British value mantra is what we have taught all along and studied via various theorists...it is the basics of PSED without the political spin.

Despite all this we still don't know how Ofsted will judge providers on this because over and over again we hear 'we can't define British values'...no because they are universal values!

Sometimes we do need to raise our objections to the govt telling us we are fools!

FloraDora
16-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Brit Decorative Storage Box in storage and organisers at Lakeland (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/22847/Brit-Decorative-Storage-Box?src=emails150416customerfavourites&spMailingID=48457431&spUserID=MTAxOTc1MzQzOTU4S0&spJobID=661884597&spReportId=NjYxODg0NTk3S0)

Despite the fact that I am constantly harping on about the British value bandwagon being no different to the fundamental values of every country and that buying artefacts from London doesn't help in my opinion....
Today I bought this!

In my defence I am a sucker for half price signs.

Also, my son who we have been following as he took Paddington with him on his South America tour for a year, sent us a box with the Brazil flag on, full of things he and Paddington have found in Brazil that he thinks are different to here. ( though we found that lots of things he sent were the same here too).

So this will be perfect to fill with things that the family Paddington is currently staying with to show them about Great Britain. ( I am not actually going to send it - just a stimulus for discussion but Paddington will send us a thankyou card - it's on its way already) . Paddington was going to stay in Peru, but has decided to carry on and explore the rest of South America with my son.

On this theme I saw a lovely cream jug on Amazon today too with the British Isles on it. We need another small light China jug as on one day, I have 3 children and we have to fill up the current jug again with milk when they pour the milk for their cereal as it doesn't hold enough - a bigger one will be too heavy for them to tip...so I need two China ones. I may buy it so that every day we look at a map view of the British Isles and the shape might visually stay in their head then.

I won't be buying it to represent British values.

Simona
17-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Brit Decorative Storage Box in storage and organisers at Lakeland (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/22847/Brit-Decorative-Storage-Box?src=emails150416customerfavourites&spMailingID=48457431&spUserID=MTAxOTc1MzQzOTU4S0&spJobID=661884597&spReportId=NjYxODg0NTk3S0)

Despite the fact that I am constantly harping on about the British value bandwagon being no different to the fundamental values of every country and that buying artefacts from London doesn't help in my opinion....
Today I bought this!

In my defence I am a sucker for half price signs.

Also, my son who we have been following as he took Paddington with him on his South America tour for a year, sent us a box with the Brazil flag on, full of things he and Paddington have found in Brazil that he thinks are different to here. ( though we found that lots of things he sent were the same here too).

So this will be perfect to fill with things that the family Paddington is currently staying with to show them about Great Britain. ( I am not actually going to send it - just a stimulus for discussion but Paddington will send us a thankyou card - it's on its way already) . Paddington was going to stay in Peru, but has decided to carry on and explore the rest of South America with my son.

On this theme I saw a lovely cream jug on Amazon today too with the British Isles on it. We need another small light China jug as on one day, I have 3 children and we have to fill up the current jug again with milk when they pour the milk for their cereal as it doesn't hold enough - a bigger one will be too heavy for them to tip...so I need two China ones. I may buy it so that every day we look at a map view of the British Isles and the shape might visually stay in their head then.

I won't be buying it to represent British values.

Flora Dora...I wonder if you read yesterday that Nick Clegg has 'promised' to uphold UNCRC Children's Rights if he wins the election?

I am getting a bit confused now...this govt wants to promote British values but they refuse to recognise Children's Rights in the first place...which comes first Rights or values?
and is it not a value to respect Rights?...but I forget they also want to repeal EU human rights if they win the election....so enter Clegg!!