PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on resources?

mumofone
26-03-2015, 04:18 PM
If you just spend out initially when you started up? I'm worried I'm gonna end up spending out more than I earn sometimes but I guess you have to build up your resources initially?
Are parents ever interested in your resources? What about the kids?

moggy
26-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I didn't buy much as I had my own young children already.
I got most things secondhand and still generally get all books and toys secondhand (charity shops)
I only got things as I needed them- only got a double buggy when had 2nd child starting etc
I did not try to have everything to start with- children need very little really (in terms of toys)- cardboard boxes, pine cones, bits and bobs like that are free and very useful.
I didn't get the 'perfect' buggy etc immediately, I got what I could cheap/secondhand and upgraded when I found something better on eBay/charity shop etc.
I use the Toy Library every month.
Friends/family pass things on to me as they know I will make use of them.
I got lots from Freecycle (sandpit, guttering for the garden, books)
I never spent out more than I was earning (but then I had basics already like car seats and high chairs)
You can make a nice arrangement of just a few toys for parents to see. And natural/free materials also are appreciated as parents know that children love that stuff.

Maza
26-03-2015, 06:08 PM
I've been minding for five years and these days I hardly spend anything. When I first started up I spent hundreds. Apart from the necessary things, like a double buggy and a highchair I also wanted things like a little slide and a cosy coup car for the garden and I was building up my art/craft supplies. I didn't really mind because I knew that my daughter would get great use out of everything I bought because she was the same age as my mindees. Now I have more than enough toys and still use the same pushchair/highchair. DD gets things for Christmas such as construction kits and the mindees get to play with these too, so they see new things from time to time. I'm really frugal with childminding things.