PDA

View Full Version : Settling In

Ellisha
25-03-2015, 01:20 PM
How many sessions/free sessions do you offer when a child starts with you? How many hours long are they?

I had a mum call today to book in a visit who mentioned settling in sessions for a 2 week period before starting and wanting to stay for some of them. I almost got the impression she wanted to stay for all of them.

Would it seem reasonable not to charge for the first 2 sessions and then charge for any additional ones. And would 2 hours a session work? Whilst I want the child to settle well, I have other things I need to do as well.

Waveawand
25-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi, my settling in is at least two hours first visit no charge and subsequent visit no charge. It depends on the age of the child, but if the parent is staying too then I wouldn't charge them until they are happy to leave LO with you for hour or longer. Though obviously this depends on the childs age and how relaxed the parent is going to be. I do reassure them and say that I will text and send pictures to them of first day so that they know LO is okay. It is often the parents that need to be put at ease, the quicker they are relaxed the more relaxed the child will be. Oh and when the do come to leave them with you quick but upbeat goodbyes. Good luck.

Mouse
25-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I do an initial visit when parents obviously stay. If they decide they want their child to come here they come back for a second visit when we complete paperwork.
After that I do 2 one hour settling in sessions, where parents stop for a few minutes, then leave. They come in for a chat when they get back and can see their child playing then. If I think the child might benefit from more sessions I may offer some, but if the parents request more, they have to pay.

I don't offer sessions where parents stay. I don't have the room for another adult to be hanging around and I won't have them here while I have other children in the house.

KateA
25-03-2015, 07:06 PM
hi I offer 2x 2 hours settling in sessions for free everything else charged at normal rate. No parents stay.

x

natlou82
25-03-2015, 08:26 PM
I'm the same as Kate. I will do as many as parents wish but only 2 free. I don't mind the parents staying a little on the first settling in as its 2 hrs, if they wanted to stay for half an hr or an hour that's fine but anything over that would annoy me tbh. I would feel as though I'm being watched (which I hate) so then I would feel on edge and not natural. When parents leave I feel like I can relax and get to know the child, which is what the settling sessions are for.

natlou82
25-03-2015, 08:29 PM
If I were doing more then two I gradually increase the time and do the sessions at different times of the day so that I can get a feel for the routine the child is in :-)

loocyloo
25-03-2015, 08:38 PM
I say I offer 2 settling sessions. I don't charge for these. The length of the session depends on how much time we have to fit them in ( and also if we manage 2! It's hard when a child is jumping into a space as soon as previous child leaves as I have had this happening and didn't have time/space to fit a settling session in without a parent present! )
If I feel the child or I need more settling sessions then I offer and they are free. if parents feel they need more settling sessions ... Then I charge!

Ellisha
26-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone.