PDA

View Full Version : Question about Baseline Assessment for one day a weeker

lpatters
24-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I am new to childminding and currently have only one child once a week. She is 3 years old and attends nursery for the rest of the week. I am wondering when I would need to do a baseline assessment for mindee? I have given parents an all about me form to complete but I'm thinking as she's only here one day a weeks it's going to take me a while to cover all 7 areas of L&D to complete an assessment.
I'm so worried about doing it all wrong!

Simona
24-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I am new to childminding and currently have only one child once a week. She is 3 years old and attends nursery for the rest of the week. I am wondering when I would need to do a baseline assessment for mindee? I have given parents an all about me form to complete but I'm thinking as she's only here one day a weeks it's going to take me a while to cover all 7 areas of L&D to complete an assessment.
I'm so worried about doing it all wrong!

The Baseline Assessment is for schools to carry out on Reception children 6 weeks after starting school.

You are probably referring to 'starting points' and then doing observations and progress report for the child...as the child is with you just one day I would try to link up with the nursery who has her more time....the parents should be able to help you by telling the nursery that her child is with you one day.

Just scale down the obs to the one day and report briefly on what she does and how she is progressing with you.

JCrakers
24-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I usually let them settle in for 6 weeks but can be 8 weeks if you don't see them so often. Its harder to get to know a child who only comes once a week. Can you ask nursery for any assessments they can share with you (obtain parents permission) to hep you get the starting points.

lpatters
24-03-2015, 01:06 PM
I will speak with parents and ask them to let nursery know she's coming here once a week. As I wont be doing any pick ups/drop offs to nursery, what is the best way to communicate with them? I already have a signed 'shared info' form from parents.

Simona
24-03-2015, 02:34 PM
I will speak with parents and ask them to let nursery know she's coming here once a week. As I wont be doing any pick ups/drop offs to nursery, what is the best way to communicate with them? I already have a signed 'shared info' form from parents.

I have a form I send to any provider who I share the care of any child.
I address this to the nursery manager who then passes it on to the child's key person

I tell them who I am, the days the child comes to me and ask to share info on progress...I also get the parents to sign as agreement for exchanging info...but...overall all providers need to comply with that anyway now.

Good luck!