PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a childminder!!

Naomi1991
22-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to using forums so excuse me if I'm doing this all wrong!!

I am looking at becoming a self employed childminder. I have beendoing a lot of research and have found most of the answers to my questions except for this one...

Can I be a childminder but work form a house which isn't mine?

I do want to hop from house to house like a baby sitter, I would be based in the same house but it isn't my own...Basically I want to run my own childminding business but I don't have the space in my own home (a small 2 bedroom flat). My fiancées parents have said that they would love for me to childmind from their large family home as they have plenty of space inside and outside. My mother in law who works part time would then be my assistant and work along side me.

Is this allowed?

If you know the answer or have any suggestions please let me know 😊

Thanks, Naomi xxx

FussyElmo
22-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to using forums so excuse me if I'm doing this all wrong!!

I am looking at becoming a self employed childminder. I have beendoing a lot of research and have found most of the answers to my questions except for this one...

Can I be a childminder but work form a house which isn't mine?

I do want to hop from house to house like a baby sitter, I would be based in the same house but it isn't my own...Basically I want to run my own childminding business but I don't have the space in my own home (a small 2 bedroom flat). My fiancées parents have said that they would love for me to childmind from their large family home as they have plenty of space inside and outside. My mother in law who works part time would then be my assistant and work along side me.

Is this allowed?

If you know the answer or have any suggestions please let me know ��

Thanks, Naomi xxx

You can be registered from your MILs house if she is happy for you to do so. Your MIL can also your assistant :thumbsup:

Im not sure what you mean by this though
I do want to hop from house to house like a baby sitter that's not allowed :D

JCrakers
23-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a good idea if you've thought it through. I'm not 100% sure if you're allowed so you could ring Ofsted or you're Local Council but my questions would be have you thought about any implications/complications.

Anyone over 16yrs who lives in the house would have to have a DBS
Would you do this full time? If so would MIL be ok with children there all day?
The house would have to be checked over by Ofsted, is MIL ok with stairgates and children's toys, children's sick/snot on her carpets/sofa?
What happens if you fall out with your fiancé? (sorry for the bluntness but it does happen)
Would it not be easier for MIL to be the main childminder and you be her assistant?

These would be my initial thoughts :D

Rubybubbles
23-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Best thing to do is phone ofsted and ask I think

Good advise all ready given ^^^

moggy
23-03-2015, 02:44 PM
You need to be clear on the finances too- are you employing your MiL as an assistant? Is this a job for her or just something that happens in her home? what are her income expectations? Can you fulfil that from the CMing income you are predicting- including those quiet times when we are looking for new clients; or is she self-employed (there are tax and admin implications)? Are you paying her 'rent' for the space? Her house will be a CM setting so will effect her house insurance and she should at least let neighbours know and check her lease if it is a rented house. If Ofsted recommend changes to the house/garden (for safety etc identified during pre-reg) is she willing to make changes? The 10% wear and tear we claim on our expenses is for wear and tear on our home from CMing but it will be your MiL's home which will get the wear and tear... will you compensate her via the 10% on your accounts or not claim that 10%?