PDA

View Full Version : Working with the LA ?

mumofone
18-03-2015, 05:55 PM
There seems to be a lot of emphasis about working in conjunction with your LA but in reality how do you do this and what's expected of us?

Simona
18-03-2015, 07:18 PM
There seems to be a lot of emphasis about working in conjunction with your LA but in reality how do you do this and what's expected of us?

That's a million dollar question!!!
How do you expect to work with your LA....what are your expectations?
I am dying to see a few comments on your questions!

mumofone
18-03-2015, 08:17 PM
That's a million dollar question!!! How do you expect to work with your LA....what are your expectations? I am dying to see a few comments on your questions!

Hi Simona, I have no idea! I don't know what's expected and how I could realistically work with them!

loocyloo
18-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Ummm ... until recently we had a LA DO who was there to support/visit/run groups/training etc.

Now we have online support and fis who, along with childrens centres will be our first point of call...we'll see how that works!
fis also keep a list of childminders in LA which they pass on to parents looking for childminders.

I think another way of working with LA is by offering the funded sessions.

There is also the LA finance dept who support with dealing with funding etc.

We are asked to respond promptly to funding deadlines for estimates, confirmation etc.

We are asked to keep fis up to date with any vacancies we have or any changes to working hours etc ( not that you're finishing earlier this week ) but maybe you are only going to work 4 days now etc. We also need to keep our 'profile' updated with training completed etc.

I can't think what else I am expected to do other than I was asked 3 years ago to run a local childminding group at children's centre. I do ... but it's very low key and really we all do it together! ( plus it's only once a month if that! )

Edited to say that I do work with the local children's centre/parent support workers to take funded 2 yr olds, and when I attend groups there I am also talking about/demonstrating the positives of childminders!

Simona
18-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi Simona, I have no idea! I don't know what's expected and how I could realistically work with them!

OK....I was trying to find out if you had been advised what your LA can do for you and what you can do for them.
It was a bit of a cheeky question!
Did you train with your LA to get registered? If you attended your LA CMs briefing did they give you any hints what they are there for and how they will support you?

Realistically the LAs need us...we do not work for them as we are partners
They need to fulfil their duty under the Childcare Act to provide sufficient places for children...we offer the places
they need to support RI and Inadequate settings and for the rest provide anything they see fit

Some have Duty Officers or consultants who are there to support any of our queries
Their role has changed a lot recently.....some LAs continue to give excellent support while others very little or none at all

Above all they receive Central funding from govt...give us less than they should for the funded children and often have their own special conditions and requirements when it comes to paperwork.
Those are just a few of the things we can expect from them.