PDA

View Full Version : Exclusion for temperature

janminder
18-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Hi, just wondering if there is still a 24 hour exclusion after have a temperature as it is not on the HPA guidelines. One of my children had a temperature yesterday evening for the first and only time did not seem unwell but may be getting back teeth. I still had him as he seemed ok and was only child in today.

JCrakers
18-03-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm not too sure if there is an exclusion. I don't think there is. I always judge how ill the child is and how they can join in a normal routine. If they are too ill to join in with our usual toddler groups or trips to the park then they go home

If they arrive dosed up on Calpol I see how they go but warn parents that I may call them to pick up depending on how they are when Calpol wears off. If I'm having a quiet day in and I know its not contagious then I sometimes keep the child and they have a lie on sofa. I think this is where nurseries and childminders differ but it depends on how ill the child is and if I think they need to be at home.

lollipop kid
18-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Hi, just wondering if there is still a 24 hour exclusion after have a temperature as it is not on the HPA guidelines. One of my children had a temperature yesterday evening for the first and only time did not seem unwell but may be getting back teeth. I still had him as he seemed ok and was only child in today.

I actually have it in my contract (and sickness policy) that if a child is dropped off too ill to participate in the childminding day and has to be sent home due to for example, a high temperature (anything above 37.5), then they should be kept at home for the next 24 hours as well. I point out to parents that the temperature could be the start of something (see list below), and although ideally we all want the child to bounce back, should they actually go down with something, then they will be with their parents, which is the best place for a poorly child. (I also point out that it gives the parents the chance to observe the child and take them to the Doctor's if they have the need, rather than dropping the child off with me the next day, only to be called upon to leave work, again.)

Fever in children - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/feverchildren/pages/introduction.aspx)

Common conditions that can cause fevers include:
upper respiratory tract infections (RTIs)
flu
ear infections
roseola (a virus that causes a temperature and rash)
tonsillitis
kidney or urinary infections
common childhood illnesses, such as chickenpox and whooping cough

Teething:

"There is little evidence that fever (temperature) and mild diarrhoea are caused by teething. Teething should not cause your child to become unwell. If your baby or child has a high temperature (fever), diarrhoea or other symptoms and is unwell then you should see your doctor to check for another cause of their symptoms. (For example, an ear infection, chest infection or urinary infection.)"

Baby Teething. Age, Symptoms and Signs of Teething | Patient.co.uk (http://www.patient.co.uk/health/teething)

I exclude for 48 hours for diarrhoea and vomiting.

I hope it helps.

L