PDA

View Full Version : Early arrival again - giving notice now!

Fitrix
18-03-2015, 02:08 PM
I've just typed out letter of notice while LO is asleep. So fuming mad!
From the outset mum was always arriving early - by 10/15 minutes. A mention in the newsletter about the importance of those last few minutes for me went disregarded.
One morning I was drying my hair 12 minutes before contracted arrival time. After knocking repeatedly on the door, she walked round and banged on my bedroom window! I opened the window and told her I'd be with her at the contracted time. She was not happy!
Since then she has ALWAYS been 5/6 minutes early. Every single drop off. Can't blame traffic - she lives 4 doors down from me!! (bad idea taking on neighbours!).
So last week after another interrupted hairdrying incident, I talked to her at pick up explaining that I needed those last few minutes to ensure I was ready and could she ensure she stick to contracted times.
This morning (first day back after our chat) she arrived 5 minutes early again. I left her knocking until the correct time.
She started having a go at me, saying my clocks were wrong / she was there at the right time. I showed her my I-phone which still said the correct time. She said I was wrong to leave her standing outside for 5 minutes and we had a heated exchange where she told me "you are a childminder and you should be flexible". I stood my ground and I ended up saying that it was probably best if she finds alternative childcare. She said she would "give me bad feedback" (don't know where exactly). She ordered LO back outside and went to leave. Asked me to refund all the month's money to which I told her there was a month's notice period. She then threw LO (not quite literally) and his bag back in the house and stropped off.
I have just typed out the notice letter and I'm planning to tell her I'm retaining the scrapbook I've made of his time with me (work of art which I know she loves) to prove what great childcare I provided incase of any allegations she makes.
I don't know how she can give me negative feedback but I'm aware she could call Ofsted (not sure what she'd say?) but as I understand it they shut you down while they investigate any complaint? I'm a bit worried about this - is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing to protect myself?

JoRo163
18-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Ofsted will only shut you down whilst an investigation takes place if there is a serious safeguarding concern. Also, I don't think you can keep hold of the scrap book as that belongs to the family once they leave you're care.

That said, I feel your pain. I had a serial early arriver. Though I made them sit in the lounge with mum & carried ony usual morning routine. However, after a display like that, I'd have to let the family go, without a doubt. You're doing the right thing, she's not listening to you at all. Just keep calm at collection time & give notice. If she does make a complaint (even an unfounded one) Ofsted have seen it all before. It's not nice though, I know.

Fitrix
18-03-2015, 02:44 PM
. Also, I don't think you can keep hold of the scrap book as that belongs to the family once they leave you're care.

But does it? I'm not talking about LO's learning journey etc. this is a scrapbook I've made myself of his time here. I do one for all mindees as a memento. I Don't have to - just think it's nice for parents. Surely it belongs to me? Or does it if it contains photos of LO??

JoRo163
18-03-2015, 02:50 PM
I may be wrong, but I was of the understanding that all images must leave with the child or be destroyed, to comply with data protection act.

I'm prepared to be corrected if this isn't correct, but I'm sure I read this somewhere and this is what I do.

AliceK
18-03-2015, 02:56 PM
I may be wrong, but I was of the understanding that all images must leave with the child or be destroyed, to comply with data protection act.

I'm prepared to be corrected if this isn't correct, but I'm sure I read this somewhere and this is what I do.

I don't think we HAVE to destroy all photos unless a parent asks us to, I hope not anyway as I have photo's from over the past 6 years and some of the children are no longer with me.

xxx

Simona
18-03-2015, 03:01 PM
I've just typed out letter of notice while LO is asleep. So fuming mad!
From the outset mum was always arriving early - by 10/15 minutes. A mention in the newsletter about the importance of those last few minutes for me went disregarded.
One morning I was drying my hair 12 minutes before contracted arrival time. After knocking repeatedly on the door, she walked round and banged on my bedroom window! I opened the window and told her I'd be with her at the contracted time. She was not happy!
Since then she has ALWAYS been 5/6 minutes early. Every single drop off. Can't blame traffic - she lives 4 doors down from me!! (bad idea taking on neighbours!).
So last week after another interrupted hairdrying incident, I talked to her at pick up explaining that I needed those last few minutes to ensure I was ready and could she ensure she stick to contracted times.
This morning (first day back after our chat) she arrived 5 minutes early again. I left her knocking until the correct time.
She started having a go at me, saying my clocks were wrong / she was there at the right time. I showed her my I-phone which still said the correct time. She said I was wrong to leave her standing outside for 5 minutes and we had a heated exchange where she told me "you are a childminder and you should be flexible". I stood my ground and I ended up saying that it was probably best if she finds alternative childcare. She said she would "give me bad feedback" (don't know where exactly). She ordered LO back outside and went to leave. Asked me to refund all the month's money to which I told her there was a month's notice period. She then threw LO (not quite literally) and his bag back in the house and stropped off.
I have just typed out the notice letter and I'm planning to tell her I'm retaining the scrapbook I've made of his time with me (work of art which I know she loves) to prove what great childcare I provided incase of any allegations she makes.
I don't know how she can give me negative feedback but I'm aware she could call Ofsted (not sure what she'd say?) but as I understand it they shut you down while they investigate any complaint? I'm a bit worried about this - is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing to protect myself?

Parents can request us to be flexible...as long as they are willing to pay for the hours
Your parent could complain to Ofsted but what would she say? ...the cm is unhappy at me turning up early ?

I have a Tesco at the end of my road...I doubt they would open early for me...try to get this parent to understand how precious that little time is for you
I don' t think she has much excuse if she only lives four doors away!

FloraDora
18-03-2015, 03:03 PM
I feel for you in this awkward situation but I really wouldn't be bothered about five minutes. Clocks can differ. I am ready long before little ones are due., I set up the day's activities and have some reflective time before my day starts so I am ready to greet the LO's with enthusiasm and a smile. Traffic could make people early or late. I would feel panicky if I was still drying my hair with 5 minutes to go. So unfortunately, whilst I may not agree with parent that we HAVE to be flexible, in general we usually are......for 5 minutes...is there other issues that could be contributing towards this bad feeling between you?

I would be a little concerned about the LO witnessing the heated discussion between you and their mum. It's never good for children to see grown up's arguing.

I wouldn't get in to any more battles over a learning journal, if you mention ofsted she might go through with her threat and whilst there is probably no grounding an investigation isn't going to be nice.
Could you photocopy using your printer some key pages, your termly reviews, tracking, observations etc..?

Check your contract for the reason you will be given notice, if you give it will you still be able to keep months income? It might be worth ringing your insurer and taking legal advice. Sometimes they would have expected you to have given her a written warning before termination.

Breathe and reflect before writing anything, make sure legally you are doing the correct thing so she has nothing to complain about.

Fitrix
18-03-2015, 04:03 PM
I feel for you in this awkward situation but I really wouldn't be bothered about five minutes. Clocks can differ. I am ready long before little ones are due., I set up the day's activities and have some reflective time before my day starts so I am ready to greet the LO's with enthusiasm and a smile. Traffic could make people early or late. I would feel panicky if I was still drying my hair with 5 minutes to go. So unfortunately, whilst I may not agree with parent that we HAVE to be flexible, in general we usually are......for 5 minutes...is there other issues that could be contributing towards this bad feeling between you?

I would be a little concerned about the LO witnessing the heated discussion between you and their mum. It's never good for children to see grown up's arguing.

I wouldn't get in to any more battles over a learning journal, if you mention ofsted she might go through with her threat and whilst there is probably no grounding an investigation isn't going to be nice.
Could you photocopy using your printer some key pages, your termly reviews, tracking, observations etc..?

Check your contract for the reason you will be given notice, if you give it will you still be able to keep months income? It might be worth ringing your insurer and taking legal advice. Sometimes they would have expected you to have given her a written warning before termination.

Breathe and reflect before writing anything, make sure legally you are doing the correct thing so she has nothing to complain about.

It's not the learning journey. It's a scrapbook of photos/artwork - showing the lovely time he had with me. I just need to know legally who it "belongs" to? I could destroy it myself surely with no repercussion if we are not allowed to keep photos? Could do with some clarification on this.
Regards being ready - yes I am very flexible and don't usually bother about the odd few minutes. We all have differing levels of preparation and what stresses us. However this child arrives at 10am and if I have no other work I can fit in a 4km run, shower and hairdry inbetween the time I get back from dropping my kids at school to 10am with ZERO minutes to spare. It is the only time I get to excercise and I don't see why I should give it up??! I specifically told her this last week and she still turned up early. I do not believe this is acceptable. It sounds petty but boils down to total lack of respect of my personal time and my expressed wishes.

AliceK
18-03-2015, 04:12 PM
I agree, 5 mins might not seem a lot but it is vital for me in a morning. I have enough to do with getting the house ready, making sure my own children are ready and breakfasted besides getting myself ready along with all the little things I might need to do before hordes of children descend my house in chaos lol. I actually NEED all the time in the morning and I will not open my door for early arrivals. I have a big clock in my hallway right opposite the front door, everyone can see what time it is when I open the door.
To some this might seem petty but to me and others it is a HUGE hinderance.

xxx

Simona
18-03-2015, 05:44 PM
It's not the learning journey. It's a scrapbook of photos/artwork - showing the lovely time he had with me. I just need to know legally who it "belongs" to? I could destroy it myself surely with no repercussion if we are not allowed to keep photos? Could do with some clarification on this.
Regards being ready - yes I am very flexible and don't usually bother about the odd few minutes. We all have differing levels of preparation and what stresses us. However this child arrives at 10am and if I have no other work I can fit in a 4km run, shower and hairdry inbetween the time I get back from dropping my kids at school to 10am with ZERO minutes to spare. It is the only time I get to excercise and I don't see why I should give it up??! I specifically told her this last week and she still turned up early. I do not believe this is acceptable. It sounds petty but boils down to total lack of respect of my personal time and my expressed wishes.

This may help you...you can keep photos but you will need parents' permission and specific reasons for doing so
This issue was discussed recently as there was a bit of confusion on retaining records by Cms

Confusion over rules for photographs | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1149284/confusion-rules-photographs?utm_content=&utm_campaign=26.01.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1149284%2Fconfusion-rules-photographs)

hectors house
18-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Photos remain the property of the person who took them - apparently the person the photo is of doesn't have claim to their image.

I can understand that every minute (or second) does count in Fitrix case as I have the same problem when I go swimming at 7 am, get out at 7.25 - get showered and dressed, drive home, dry my hair and have breakfast in time for first children arriving at 8 am. 7.55 is not 8.00 and i'm still eating my breakfast which means I also haven't cleaned my teeth, meaning I will have to go upstairs leaving children unattended.

I had a mum who repeatedly tried to drop off before contract time (then wanted to change contract time to earlier) so she could get to work earlier, so she could have a longer lunch break so she could have time to run and shower) and just didn't seem to understand that my exercise time as important than hers.

FussyElmo
18-03-2015, 06:31 PM

Surely if its the childs artwork/photos it belongs to the child. You say you do this as a memento of their time with you so what is the reason to keep it? if its just to get back at the mum is it really worth it?

Personally I would give it the mum than at least I know I have done right and been the better person.

Nothing stopping you scanning it into your computer though to keep as evidence :D

Fitrix
18-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the link Simona. My reason for retaining the scrapbook was a) to possibly make her think twice about making any spurious allegation but mostly to prove what a great time he had with me should she do so. I have also now spoken to pacey who were actually very helpful and advised against causing any further ill feeling by not giving it to mum. I have decided definitely the right thing to do is to give the scrapbook to the child/parent when he leaves. If she wishes to make a complaint etc she can and I will deal with that then should it arise. Good idea about keeping a copy for evidence FussyElmo!!
I will also be adding a clause to my policies about use of photos after a child has left my setting for use on my portfolio /advertising etc.
thanks all!

KatieFS
18-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Poor you! How awful. This would seriously affect my relationship with a parent, being early even after being asked not to is rude. Very disrespectful.
It isn't actually about the time for me - it's assuming that it's ok to expect you to work before you're being paid. I feel a bit like a slave when this happens. A bit like a parent consistently being late with no real reason,
You're doing the right thing
And for what it's worth Id give parent the scrap book, take some copies of relevant info - maintain professionalism
And document everything!

natlou82
19-03-2015, 06:44 AM
I agree it is a lack of respect. This is one thing that annoys me about this job, parents who think they can do whatever they want! You asked politely and she was extremely rude. Good for you for showing that this is your business and you won't stand for being treated this way. I also don't believe she ll contact Ofsted, but you just need to be on your guard for her trying to tarnish your name in other ways. Good luck, I hope you quickly find another family that is more respectful x

Simona
19-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I agree it is a lack of respect. This is one thing that annoys me about this job, parents who think they can do whatever they want! You asked politely and she was extremely rude. Good for you for showing that this is your business and you won't stand for being treated this way. I also don't believe she ll contact Ofsted, but you just need to be on your guard for her trying to tarnish your name in other ways. Good luck, I hope you quickly find another family that is more respectful x

I agree it is partly lack of respect....personally I feel 5 minutes early or late 'may be allowed'... if it happens every now and then... and parents are aware that it is not to be a regular occurrence...that could be included in the Terms and Conditions.
For those parents who use public transport late pick up is so very usual....but this parent is 4 doors away.

Let's not forget what nurseries do when parents arrive 5 minutes late....it is a concerns parents have voiced often enough because the money they have to pay can be hefty!!

I would prefer parents to text me to warn me they are arriving early or late...again respect of our opening hours... but also to consider other factors ...as an example.....my LA's training starts at 6.30pm...if late we get to pay a fine....and that is hefty too.

We are in a way paying the price of being praised for being the most flexible but falling outside of that remit when parents take a bit of advantage of cms.
I once had a parent who was regularly 5 mins late...this turned in 10 mins...then 20 and finally 30 mins...I ended up doing many unpaid hours until I informed them I was reviewing their hours and adding 1/2 hour each day...that worked and I got paid!

To move forward in this issue maybe one thing to do is to look at our contracts and ask if everything is as clear as it should be for all parents ...if not... a little tweak should only take a few minutes and save lots of frustration and anxiety.

Good luck Fitrix...I am sure you can find another family...try to part on fairly good terms with this one or you will forever worry abut what they can do...plus they live in your road!!

Ripeberry
19-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Over the years I've found that certain people think of CMs as hired help. They truly have no respect for us and the one time we put our foot down, they get angry as how DARE we speak back! If there is no mutual respect then they can take a running jump off a short pier!

Ripeberry
19-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Over the years I've found that certain people think of CMs as hired help and beneath them. They truly have no respect for us and the one time we put our foot down, they get angry as how DARE we speak back! If there is no mutual respect then they can take a running jump off a short pier!

Fitrix
19-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Over the years I've found that certain people think of CMs as hired help. They truly have no respect for us and the one time we put our foot down, they get angry as how DARE we speak back! If there is no mutual respect then they can take a running jump off a short pier!

Absolutely! She always made me feel like that. When I asked for parent feedback - good or bad - following a newsletter I got lovely comments from all my mums. Hers just said 1. we want your help with potty training. 2. We want your support to get X to eat more vegetables.

I wouldn't have minded so much but she lets him eat whatever he likes, he won't touch veg and I won't force. And the potty training - he was 18 months at the time!!!

Onwards and upwards. I have given her my written letter of notice and received an unpleasant email back which I'm not even going to dignify with a response.

Thanks to all for your support - it really helps to have this forum, not just for great advice but also as a sounding board!

AliceK
19-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Absolutely! She always made me feel like that. When I asked for parent feedback - good or bad - following a newsletter I got lovely comments from all my mums. Hers just said 1. we want your help with potty training. 2. We want your support to get X to eat more vegetables.

I wouldn't have minded so much but she lets him eat whatever he likes, he won't touch veg and I won't force. And the potty training - he was 18 months at the time!!!

Onwards and upwards. I have given her my written letter of notice and received an unpleasant email back which I'm not even going to dignify with a response.

Thanks to all for your support - it really helps to have this forum, not just for great advice but also as a sounding board!

She sounds horrendous , you are well rid.

xxx

bunyip
19-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Sorry you've had such a bad time of it Fitrix, :group hug: especially as it's a neighbour.

I think this is one of those cases where you need to be "squeaky clean" but without being bullied or backing down IYSWIM. Make sure all your paperwork and general practices are in order in case of malicious complaint to Ofsted. She could make anything up, but it's worth remembering that the bigger the lie, the more obvious it will be to an inspector that she's lying. As mentioned, they'd normally only suspend for a serious safeguarding complaint.

I'd write a brief report of how things have developed, with examples/quotes of her comments and behaviour. Keep copies of things, especially the unpleasant emails. Some would advise making a call to Ofsted just to warn that you wouldn't be surprised at a malicious complaint being made. I can never decide if this is useful or just 'rocking the boat' a little unnecessarily.

You may find she engages in some petty bad-mouthing round the district. I've had this: chiefly when I gave a witness statement against a driver who nearly killed a family on the pavement near school. The immediate panic is "will this ruin my reputation?" From my experience, I now hold the opposite view. ie. It helps my business by filtering out the dumb, phukwitted morons who believe such lies and gossip - the sort of people I don't want for clients.

Be aware that she might try something unpleasant like complaining to the LA about "parking problems" or similar. So keep on good terms with the rest of the street (without even mentioning Mrs R.Sole or whatever her name is) - I find it quite disarming to ask neighbours from time to time if they are "any problems" - especially the ones who are too nice to say even if I were running a toxic waste disposal plant. :rolleyes: But tbh a lot of this sort of people are "all mouth and no trousers" when it comes to it.

Entitlement to the final month's fees depends on contract, so check with your legal team and make sure they approve your letter of notice. That normally means giving the client the due notice period and being prepared to have the mindee during that time. Whether you can give immediate notice is a different matter and depends on circumstances as well as contract: always a risky one, as the CM can end up having to refund and be liable for the client's loss of earnings or emergency childcare costs. :p

Photos, learning journals and scrapbooks are not as cut-and-dried as most people in the childcare industry seem to think. Without getting too complicated, there's a difference between ownership of the physical object (ie. the thing you can hold in your hand: the scrapbook) and the 'intellectual property', which is 'the idea' or original creative work. Intellectual property rights (IPR) are a whole area of law making a fortune for lawyers.

Here's my take on it. The photos are your intellectual property as you took them (they do not belong to the person whose image is in the photo, despite common misconceptions to the contrary). The mindee's drawings are, by rights, the boy's IP - though I'd guess the parents hold rights of decision over them on his behalf as he is a minor. If the scrapbook/LJ/diary/whatever (as a physical object) is provided as 'part of the service' - then the object belongs to the client who's paid for that service. This is one reason why I make it clear to prospective clients that the LJ is part of my records, not some sort of commemorative brochure of their child's visits. I also make a point of asserting my IPR in all documents and images (photos) in my policies and consents.

I agree with Fussy's observation that you have every right to scan the scrapbook before returning it.

Data Protection Act is rarely concerned with whether you keep a piece of data/images/etc. It is more concerned with you having good reason to keep it; how it stored; and how it might be used in future. My personal opinion is that you have reasonable cause to retain that which might be useful as evidence to refute a possible future malicious complaint.

To sum up. I'd return the scrapbook, but retain a photocopy or scans. Make it clear that data (including images will be retained for "reasonable use" in accordance with data protection legislation. Your remark that you'd retain it "to prove what great childcare I provided in case of any allegations she makes" is in fact (potentially) a good example of just the sort of thing required by data protection law: a statement of purpose for retaining data.

This sort of thing came up quite recently on another thread. I sent multiple requests to Ofsted, asking if they operated any sort of "statute of limitations" over complaints. That is, when could we safely dispose of documents that we might wish to retain as evidence to refute an untrue allegation? especially given the current craze for "historic abuse claims" and the huge queue of greedy lawyers and media types waiting to cash in on this fashion. Ofsted were not prepared to give any such assurance, from which I deduce that the safest thing is to assume they'd still be willing to investigate any of us over a malicious allegation 10, 20, 30, 40................who knows how many (:huh:?) years later. I therefore believe we have a right to retain such evidence indefinitely for our own protection.

Fitrix
19-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all that great advice and info. Very useful to know. I am writing up everything and will ensure I am squeaky clean. Tbh in the current climate of malicious complaints from anyone I always ensure I am inspection ready with all i's dotted and t's crossed! It's the saddest part of this job. I love it, but it could be taken away from me in an instant which is scary. The lack of security is very unnerving!

rickysmiths
19-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I have to say if a parent is consistently early or late I ask them in for a meeting and offer a Contract review to reflect the hours they seem to be needing. If they say they don't then I just make it very clear that they can't then keep arriving 5 10 mins early all the time. That I have myself and my family etc to get ready in the morning and I am not just standing by the door 10 mins before her time waiting to open the door. That I won't tolerate banging on the door early and definitely not knocking on my bedroom window that is just rude. If she had not got a reply 10 mins after time then yes bang on the door or maybe better call me!

I would make it very clear that if the behaviour continued that the Contract would be terminated immediately as the behaviour is tantamount to harassment and that 4 weeks fees would be due in lieu of the Notice Period.

I don't see having confrontation on the doorstep in front of children or wingding in Newsletters ever helps or is very professional.

smurfette
20-03-2015, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE="rickysmiths;1394952"]I have to say if a parent is consistently early or late I ask them in for a meeting and offer a Contract review to reflect the hours they seem to be needing. If they say they don't then I just make it very clear that they can't then keep arriving 5 10 mins early all the time. That I have myself and my family etc to get ready in the morning and I am not just standing by the door 10 mins before her time waiting to open the door. That I won't tolerate banging on the door early and definitely not knocking on my bedroom window that is just rude. If she had not got a reply 10 mins after time then yes bang on the door or maybe better call me! I would make it very clear that if the behaviour continued that the Contract would be terminated immediately as the behaviour is tantamount to harassment and that 4 weeks fees would be due in lieu of the Notice Period. I don't see having confrontation on the doorstep in front of children or wingding in Newsletters ever helps or is very professional.[/QUOTE

See I am
Afraid of doing this now.. I had a parent who started taking the mick by arriving 15 minutes early to drop off (first one in door so same thing wasn't ready) and arriving ten mins
Late to collect. I sent an email to everybody explaining it wasn't acceptable and why, then it continued so I pulled them up about it and asked if they needed to change contract .. They said no, then I was given notice, Lo going to nursery.. Where I suppose they can drop off whenever they want and pick up before closing. I had also had problems when they might be an hour or hour and a half Late dropping off .. If this happened in school holidays I had got up early for this little one and was left sitting there! I asked and asked to be told if they were late but no avail. Notice was given via email when I was on holiday and nearly ruined our holidays cos I was so upset and worried about losing money. I do know hmm and dad split up a while later so maybe it wasn't to do with me (nursery was on their doorstep and mum travelled to work in other direction ) but I am inclined to think they didn't like me being strict on their time keeping. Was a shame to lose the contract and Lo was with me over two years and i missed him a lot when he was gone, but I guess they didn't respect me

natlou82
20-03-2015, 06:29 AM
It all depends on our own perspectives, I'm not really concerned if people are a few mins early or late within my business hours as I'm already working (sometimes I don't even notice tbh). But as I work 7am - 6pm I can't abide early or late beyond these hours. I've explained to all of my families that I am open these hours as it suits my family, but I am not happy to work beyond these hours unless it is odd one off occurrences agreed in advance at a higher fee. Just last week a mum said they were running late at work could they pick up 20-30 mins late (Dad didn't have car seat) I agreed for an extra charge of £5, Dad didn't want to pay so came without car seat and sat parked outside my house with LO until Mum arrived at 6:40pm. I'm not working 40 mins unsociable hrs free for anyone!

k1rstie
20-03-2015, 07:02 AM
It all depends on our own perspectives, I'm not really concerned if people are a few mins early or late within my business hours as I'm already working (sometimes I don't even notice tbh). But as I work 7am - 6pm I can't abide early or late beyond these hours. I've explained to all of my families that I am open these hours as it suits my family, but I am not happy to work beyond these hours unless it is odd one off occurrences agreed in advance at a higher fee. Just last week a mum said they were running late at work could they pick up 20-30 mins late (Dad didn't have car seat) I agreed for an extra charge of £5, Dad didn't want to pay so came without car seat and sat parked outside my house with LO until Mum arrived at 6:40pm. I'm not working 40 mins unsociable hrs free for anyone!

Hi Natlou. Couldn't Dad have just asked to borrow a car seat, and returned it in the morning.

I am always surprised the parents with two cars that only have one car seat. (Even when they get to the small booster seat stage) I had one set of parents that often got in the situation of the seat being in the other car. I was often given the seat at school the following morning.
Eventually the child was using just the small booster seat, and after much nagging they did finally get one for Dads car, it cost less than a tender.

natlou82
20-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Tbh k1rstie with this family I would be very reluctant to do this. The funny thing is I don't actually drive but I still have a suitable car seat for LO for the rare occasion that we would travel in my husbands car. They need to be better equip in my opinion.

k1rstie
20-03-2015, 08:21 AM
I once had a family who did not use car seats for their kids in their car ( or seats belts for that matter!!). But that's another story and battle.

They went abroad on holiday to visit family, and they asked to borrow a booster seat! I was really shocked! It was never returned after the holiday, but it was in their car, and used I think. I didn't ask for it back, and just bought another one.

Simona
20-03-2015, 08:29 AM
I think that apart from the way parents may view CMs or otherwise ...it is also to do with lack of understanding that CMs do not work within 4 walls 10 hrs a day....we are out and about in the community each day unlike nurseries where the door will always be answered regardless because the premises are manned all day.

In a nursery parents can drop off anytime ...not before opening time though....and can pick up anytime before closing time....in other words they can be flexible with their own contracted hours, once paid for those they can do as they like...with Cms it seems parents want more hours as it suits them but unwilling to pay?

The problem with late pick ups in a nursery is that it involves a lot of money...2 members of staff have to stay behind...that is the reason nurseries charge for late pick ups

It is a topic up for discussion when parents come to visit Cms 1st time...make it clear we have a very strict routine to follow

rickysmiths
20-03-2015, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE="rickysmiths;1394952"]I have to say if a parent is consistently early or late I ask them in for a meeting and offer a Contract review to reflect the hours they seem to be needing. If they say they don't then I just make it very clear that they can't then keep arriving 5 10 mins early all the time. That I have myself and my family etc to get ready in the morning and I am not just standing by the door 10 mins before her time waiting to open the door. That I won't tolerate banging on the door early and definitely not knocking on my bedroom window that is just rude. If she had not got a reply 10 mins after time then yes bang on the door or maybe better call me! I would make it very clear that if the behaviour continued that the Contract would be terminated immediately as the behaviour is tantamount to harassment and that 4 weeks fees would be due in lieu of the Notice Period. I don't see having confrontation on the doorstep in front of children or wingding in Newsletters ever helps or is very professional.[/QUOTE

See I am
Afraid of doing this now.. I had a parent who started taking the mick by arriving 15 minutes early to drop off (first one in door so same thing wasn't ready) and arriving ten mins
Late to collect. I sent an email to everybody explaining it wasn't acceptable and why, then it continued so I pulled them up about it and asked if they needed to change contract .. They said no, then I was given notice, Lo going to nursery.. Where I suppose they can drop off whenever they want and pick up before closing. I had also had problems when they might be an hour or hour and a half Late dropping off .. If this happened in school holidays I had got up early for this little one and was left sitting there! I asked and asked to be told if they were late but no avail. Notice was given via email when I was on holiday and nearly ruined our holidays cos I was so upset and worried about losing money. I do know hmm and dad split up a while later so maybe it wasn't to do with me (nursery was on their doorstep and mum travelled to work in other direction ) but I am inclined to think they didn't like me being strict on their time keeping. Was a shame to lose the contract and Lo was with me over two years and i missed him a lot when he was gone, but I guess they didn't respect me

I can understand that and I have to say I have never had a problem. One of the things I do put an emphasis on at the Contract signing meeting is the time keeping and settling into a new routine and looking at the times they think they need against what might be happening. I haven't lost a parent over it but I am pretty clear before day one about the boundaries. At any time if they don't arrive on time and I have something planned and someone doesn't arrive I give one call that will answer the issue or if there is no reply I leave a message telling them to call when they are leaving to find where we are. In the holidays that can be up to 50 miles away and they know they have to come and find me. Never had that situation happen thankfully.