PDA

View Full Version : Adhoc contract

JCrakers
18-03-2015, 11:47 AM
I had a phonecall the other day for an adhoc child. This would fit in with me nicely as I do have 2 little ones but didn't want to commit myself to a third as I quite like a quieter day. The Mum sounded lovely but I said Id get back to her as I needed to see how many school children I have. (she wanted 11am-5ish)

Her dd (2) goes to a nursery as she works 3 days but her work sometimes needs her in an extra day every now and again. She obviously doesn't want to pay for a full space at nursery and although Granny is available sometimes, she's not always available, hence needing a VERY flexible childminder.

I would love to help out and I do have a sibling baby starting in the New Year so could never offer a full time place anyway as it would have to end in December. But I can't help thinking of all the extra work it would be (LJ, obs as well as settling her in) for £21. Its not just about the money but it could be once a month or once every 5/6 weeks. How will she settle in?

I love helping people out but sometimes I'm not sure if its worth the hassle and extra stress :blush:
Would anyone else help out? I really like my Weds with 2 little ones. On one hand I know it wont be every week but then on the other that's probably worse in regards to settling the child

shortstuff
18-03-2015, 11:49 AM
I would be tempted to help too. I have done similar and it did actually work quite nicely.

Tealady
18-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Not all children struggle to settle. I had a desperate Mum call me last week for care as her childminder was at a funeral and work wouldn't let her have the day off.

I briefly met LO that afternoon and she came the following morning for the day. She was a little quiet at first but by midmorning was happy and settled.

Mum has said she'll happily use me again as cover for her current CM. O would meet the child and see if you feel you will gel or if she is the clingy type.

I have all the basic forms in place and will just do a scrapbook page each time she comes by way of a LJ. Don't see how Ofsted can expect anything more.

sing-low
18-03-2015, 05:28 PM
It can work, I think but I know what you mean about it being lots of work for little money. Sometimes doesn't seem worth it. Would charging a bit more for adhoc or having a registration fee (to cover time for paperwork etc.) be an idea?

AliceK
18-03-2015, 05:36 PM
I do lots of adhoc work and have just taken on a 6mth old on an adhoc basis. I've had all ages from babes upto KS1 children. Some come quite regularly, some hardly ever but I've never had a problem and if I did with anyone then I just wouldn't have them again. I think of the money as going in to my holiday fund lol. The nice thing about adhoc is that if you don't want anyone else on a particular day you can always say no.

xxx

JCrakers
20-03-2015, 10:17 AM

I rang her back and said Yes, she was really interested. I gave her my address to pop round and a we had a short chat on the phone about prices etc.

Then she texted me back a few hrs later to say that Granny could get the Weds off next week so she wont be needing me.

So after all that she only really wanted 1 day...lol

lollipop kid
20-03-2015, 02:12 PM

I rang her back and said Yes, she was really interested. I gave her my address to pop round and a we had a short chat on the phone about prices etc.

Then she texted me back a few hrs later to say that Granny could get the Weds off next week so she wont be needing me.

So after all that she only really wanted 1 day...lol

I always laugh when we get to the "price" conversation. Then lo and behold, dear old Granny is always able to step in! (Sometimes I think parents are guilty of having the conversation with us - sometimes two or three weeks in advance - just so that they can use the costs issue as leverage on dear old Granny etc. I've been in this situation several times. Now I just say No - it's much easier than my putting personal stuff off - such as dental appointments, booking in a handyman etc. to help a parent out on my day off, only to discover the night before Granny is stepping in!)

:D

L