PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing anything about the eclipse on friday morning?

FussyElmo
18-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Some useful articles

Starry, starry nights - with Steve PondEast Grinstead Online (http://bluebelldigital.co.uk/eastgrinsteadonline/2015/03/16/starry-starry-nights-with-steve-pond-4/)

Total Eclipse of the Sun - March 20th 2015 (http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/eclipse/0112015/uk/uk_2015.html)

Supermoon total eclipse of equinox sun on March 20 | Tonight | EarthSky (http://earthsky.org/tonight/supermoon-to-stage-total-eclipse-of-the-sun-on-march-20?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=05f0fc7096-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-05f0fc7096-393805001)

How to view the eclipse | BBC Sky at Night Magazine (http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/news/how-view-eclipse)

Solar eclipse? Be prepared says 'starry' Steve PondEast Grinstead Online (http://bluebelldigital.co.uk/eastgrinsteadonline/2015/02/28/solar-eclipse-be-prepared-says-starry-steve-pond/)

BBC News - Selfie danger during solar eclipse, eye experts warn (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31921098)

The solar eclipse is something to see they really don't come around that often BUT lets view it safely everyone.

FussyElmo
18-03-2015, 08:02 AM
A big thank you to Steve Pond for allowing me to post articles from his fb group Above East Grindsted.

Steve is part of a childminding team and we do class me as our resident "space expert" :D

Mouse
18-03-2015, 08:41 AM
I'm not working on Friday, but I will be watching it myself.

This week my mindees are learning about shadows and how they're made by the blocking the light. Luckily we had good sunshine yesterday so we could make shadows outside and we've used torches in the dark den inside. Most of them are too young to understand an eclipse, but they're enjoying shadow play.

natlou82
18-03-2015, 09:24 AM
We re going to make pin hole viewers on Thurs so we are ready Friday morn. I'm quite excited :-)

Maza
18-03-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm not working on Friday but hubby and I will watch it. Very excited! DD's school have bought them all a special pair of glasses for £1 each (we pay) and they are all going outside to watch it. No doubt it will spark an interest in planets/Space etc. I hope so because I've never really covered this as no one has been particularly interested in that topic.

AliceK
18-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Am I the only one who thinks we wont actually see anything?? That's what I've been lead to believe.

xx

k1rstie
18-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I remember the last one, when my DD15 was a new born. It happened quickly but was a bit exciting.

I have looked online at the weather and it says it will be cloudy. Sadly. I think we will try to see it with a black bucket of water

FussyElmo
18-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I remember the last one, when my DD15 was a new born. It happened quickly but was a bit exciting.

I have looked online at the weather and it says it will be cloudy. Sadly. I think we will try to see it with a black bucket of water

My dd15 was a newborn its exciting to think she will get to see one this time.

Though Im glad I ordered my glasses as the price has gone through the roof :(

NightOwl
18-03-2015, 10:47 AM
I did planning for this week: shadows/books & posters on sun and planets/circles crafts/ light and dark etc according to different ages. Unfortunately I got D&S and my dd came out in mild chicken pox so I had to close this week. Am going to watch anyway. Hoping to take pictures in the garden before and during (light and dark). Hopefully it won't be cloudy.

Maza
18-03-2015, 12:19 PM
My dd15 was a newborn its exciting to think she will get to see one this time.

Though Im glad I ordered my glasses as the price has gone through the roof :(

I never thought about ordering some for myself. I might try and get some as I think I'll look a bit silly with a colander on my face!

FloraDora
18-03-2015, 07:11 PM
DH is an amateur astronomer -we had an eclipse party last time as it was in the school holidays, it was a great atmosphere and very eery when everything went dark for a moment.....
We intend to use the colander method, DH will take a photo safely through his telescope....and you will see the reflection of it, but the forecast is really cloudy, so we could just be looking at last times slides/ photos! It will still go dark though so that will be exciting.

Good idea to link with shadows Maza, mine love jumping on shadows and spotting shadows.

natlou82
18-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Can you please explain the colander method? I'm not familiar with it, thanks x

FloraDora
18-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Can you please explain the colander method? I'm not familiar with it, thanks x

Information here:

How to view the eclipse | BBC Sky at Night Magazine (http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/news/how-view-eclipse)

Watching star gazing live at the moment, they may talk about it on here tonight or tomorrow.

It seems DH also has a white light filter for his own use.

natlou82
18-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Thank you that is very useful.

loocyloo
18-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Just seen an advert for cbeebies stargazing at 5.45pm each day this week. I'm going to see what is on the cbeebies website.

Simona
20-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I seem to be eclipsing in the clouds!!!
Good old British weather this morning...a blanket of grey cumulus!

Mouse
20-03-2015, 09:45 AM
We've got a really clear sky but I haven't got anything to look at the sun with. It has gone noticeably darker, especially out the front of the house where the sun doesn't shine this early in the day.

I think if I'd had a camera with a filter I'd have got some really good pics as it was so clear.

Simona
20-03-2015, 09:48 AM
We've got a really clear sky but I haven't got anything to look at the sun with. It has gone noticeably darker, especially out the front of the house where the sun doesn't shine this early in the day.

I think if I'd had a camera with a filter I'd have got some really good pics as it was so clear.

Grab a colander!! that should do it!

mrsb79
20-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Sorry for the clouds but managed to get a few shots x

mrsb79
20-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Still pleased with the outcome x

mrsb79
20-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Our colander pic x

FloraDora
20-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Just a quick iPad photo - you can see the shadow of the telescope in this- we were really pleased with the proper ones - though the partial eclipse was no where near as spectacular as the full one in 1999.

My under three's today kept calling it the moon as it was crescent shaped!
Something sunk in though, as one played in the sand, she hid all the balls, " look, hiding like the sun" when I asked if the sun was hiding under sand, she laughed and said "the moon is hiding the sun". Yes!!
None noticed the eery dusk like atmosphere though.

What they did like though was looking at the shadows through the colander and pizza tray, and spatula from the mud kitchen - This will be a regular activity now, playing with things making shadows- at this angle, I can't believe I haven't set something up before! We look at shadows on the floor and on the living room wall...but this was a great activity today. May use a painting easel though ....DH is in the middle of making a really sturdy outdoor one.....some adaptions might be in order.

We had a lovely morning - they all painted a sun whilst we were outdoors , and Orange and yellow hands, balls, table....when they wake up we are going to make a moon hide it - picture to take home then if they are up for it.

mrsb79
20-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Love your picture Flora Dora that's fab my littlies are too young to understand both 15months but loved playing and making shadows. I agree "99" was much better x

lollipop kid
20-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Just a quick iPad photo - you can see the shadow of the telescope in this- we were really pleased with the proper ones - though the partial eclipse was no where near as spectacular as the full one in 1999.

My under three's today kept calling it the moon as it was crescent shaped!
Something sunk in though, as one played in the sand, she hid all the balls, " look, hiding like the sun" when I asked if the sun was hiding under sand, she laughed and said "the moon is hiding the sun". Yes!!
None noticed the eery dusk like atmosphere though.

What they did like though was looking at the shadows through the colander and pizza tray, and spatula from the mud kitchen - This will be a regular activity now, playing with things making shadows- at this angle, I can't believe I haven't set something up before! We look at shadows on the floor and on the living room wall...but this was a great activity today. May use a painting easel though ....DH is in the middle of making a really sturdy outdoor one.....some adaptions might be in order.

We had a lovely morning - they all painted a sun whilst we were outdoors , and Orange and yellow hands, balls, table....when they wake up we are going to make a moon hide it - picture to take home then if they are up for it.

Wow - great work, FloraDora! Love the shadow play idea. I also may 'borrow' your picture if that's OK, so that I can talk about the eclipse to my little ones when they're back on Monday.

(I didn't have any mindees today and was in overcast, darkish, very cold, North London during the eclipse. I didn't see a thing, but I did see the 1999 one using a makeshift pinhole camera and mirror from the roof of my then work in Central London - we were very lucky!)

:thumbsup:

L

FloraDora
20-03-2015, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=lollipop kid;1395009]Wow - great work, FloraDora! Love the shadow play idea. I also may 'borrow' your picture if that's OK, so that I can talk about the eclipse to my little ones when they're back on Monday.
I have better ones taken with the slr camera, I will post later as haven't uploaded them onto computer yet.

Though I think there will be super duper ones on the Internet over the weekend - Faroe Islands had loads of astronomers and it was a 99% eclipse there so I expect we will see some good photos from them.

FussyElmo
20-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Whereas I do agree the 1999 was good.

I have to admit being pretty hyped up about it today we had no cloud coverage and saw the whole thing. From the sun and then the moon starting coming over and the eerie atmosphere.

Loved it loved it can wait for stargazing later.

Missed it this morning due to being on a ministry of craft course making a lampshade. Its been a pretty surreal but good day :thumbsup:

SYLVIA
20-03-2015, 07:46 PM
It was so grey and cloudly here in kent that we didn't see anything. Although it was much darker for a while and really cold. The faternoon was perfect weather. Got a text from DP saying B....dy suns out now the eclipse is over! Of course it is' was my reply "It was behind the sun" Silly man!!!