PDA

View Full Version : Call it a day or give benefit of the doubt?

Tealady
17-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Parent visited before Christmas. Came on a Wednesday and wanted care on Tuesdays. After our discussion she said her daughter would start the following week. I explained about paperwork, deposit and payment. She left apparently happy but never heard from her again.
Last week got a call from same parent. Wanting care to start this Thursday. Transpired it was only a fill in until youngest LO starts nursery in April and for oldest girl as wrap around for preschool, until the summer. Got her email address to email paperwork over and booked her to come and complete it all yesterday.
Email address rejected as doesn't exist. Parent never showed.
Today the door goes and it is Mum, here for her meeting. I gave her short shrift especially as she still expected me to see her despite my DS being off school ill

She then sent quite a gushy apologetic text saying she had made a stupid mistake and wanted to make it right.

Normally I would say thanks but no thanks but Mum isn't British and English isn't her first language so I'm wondering if I should cut her some slack as it may all be down to cultural issues and a language barrier.

What would you do?

shortstuff
18-03-2015, 06:53 AM
With everything you have put there i dont see how it can be a language barrier. Maybe im just being unkind i don't know. How did you get her email address? Was it via text? So no chance of misreading?

Im not sure i would give any more chances personally.

mama2three
18-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Lets say youre right - the problems have stemmed from the cultural difference and a language barrier. Does that make a difference? Are you willing to put up with her ignoring your procedures etc for the period of the contract because of this? . She will continue to have the same respect for you , your business , your procedures as she always had...ie none.
You've already cut her some slack , more than once , and shes now in the poo as shes left childcare at the bottom of her priority list so shes gushingly apologising - then once shes got her own way she will return to normal !

JCrakers
18-03-2015, 08:20 AM
I couldn't work with her i'm afraid. Its just plain rude, nothing to do with a language barrier. :D Especially as little one is going to nursery

lollipop kid
18-03-2015, 09:24 AM
I couldn't work with her i'm afraid. Its just plain rude, nothing to do with a language barrier. :D Especially as little one is going to nursery

Agree with JCrakers. Something isn't right here. Where have her children been until now? Maybe she has caused problems with another childminder, has left on bad terms, is stuck for childcare, so has turned up at your door.

Big alarm bells ringing. Run a mile!

(In my experience, any time I've tried to help a 'desperate' mum, these are the ones who call Ofsted at the first opportunity!)

All the best,

L

Ripeberry
18-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Avoid! :panic:

Maza
18-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Sounds too much like hard work. What when the child is ill and you need to contact her to collect early, but you have similar problems getting hold of her? Or when you have told her that her child needs to be collected on time because you have to go to see your own child in the school concert? She might not be a rude person but she doesn't realise the impact of her behaviour/time management/communication. She just doesn't 'get' how difficult our job is. x

Jelly Baby
18-03-2015, 12:46 PM
I have to say reading it you sound like I would BUT ive had a similar experience and it didn't end well..id steer clear tbh

Tealady
18-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks all. Just as I thought. :thumbsup: