PDA

View Full Version : How often should you do observations & assessments?

mumofone
17-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Just that :-) And are there any good resources to help me?

blue bear
17-03-2015, 09:28 PM
I do one whenever I think wow, I didn't know you could do that or I need to share that with mum and dad. I also do observations on aspects of a child's learning and developemnt where I am tracking due to a concern.
I do a full written assessment twice a year, one on their birthday and six months later.

I might do four observations in a morning then not another for weeks, it all depends on The child's learning and development, they all learn at different rates so no two learning journals are identical.

Simona
17-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Just that :-) And are there any good resources to help me?

Use Development Matters as a guide to observe where the child is and where you want to move on....also use CoEL.
The new What to expect, when? guide just published is also good for you to work with parents ...it will be linked to EYFS.

We all vary in doing obs...I do several a day but it does not mean I record them all but keep a track of what the child is showing
Also 1 activity can link to all areas of learning!

mumofone
17-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Use Development Matters as a guide to observe where the child is and where you want to move on....also use CoEL. The new What to expect, when? guide just published is also good for you to work with parents ...it will be linked to EYFS. We all vary in doing obs...I do several a day but it does not mean I record them all but keep a track of what the child is showing Also 1 activity can link to all areas of learning!

Thanks Simona what's the "what to expect, when" document? Where would I find this?
I was told about some "highlighting sheets" linked to Development matters that can be used- are you/is anyone familiar with these?

Simona
17-03-2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks Simona what's the "what to expect, when" document? Where would I find this?
I was told about some "highlighting sheets" linked to Development matters that can be used- are you/is anyone familiar with these?

If you go to the foundation years website you will find it there...I am away from my computer or would have put the link for you....you should find it easily....it has lots of pictures of children at the front!
It is a guide for parents so they know how their child develops, what to expect and when...it will also make it easier for you to plan together with parents....it is a mini DM really and very good.

Not sure about those sheets you mentioned but if you look at age and stage of each child DM helps you to plan for the individual child...gives ideas on activities and then your planning and next steps lead to the outcomes.
Come back if you need extra help :thumbsup:
PS: subscribe to the FY website and you get all the news in your inbox as lots is changing at the moment!

Gill Brownsword
17-03-2015, 10:48 PM

What to expect, when? A parents' guide | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/what-to-expect-when-a-parents-guide/)
Here's the link, I found it a really handy guide!

Simona
17-03-2015, 10:57 PM
What to expect, when? A parents' guide | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/what-to-expect-when-a-parents-guide/)
Here's the link, I found it a really handy guide!

Thank you for posting the link.

On the right hand side there is a feed from tonight's #eytalking on the EYPP...some useful info from DfE on what to do and lots of ideas from providers

mumofone
18-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks so much guys- Is this a new publication?

mumofone
18-03-2015, 08:44 AM
I do one whenever I think wow, I didn't know you could do that or I need to share that with mum and dad. I also do observations on aspects of a child's learning and developemnt where I am tracking due to a concern. I do a full written assessment twice a year, one on their birthday and six months later. I might do four observations in a morning then not another for weeks, it all depends on The child's learning and development, they all learn at different rates so no two learning journals are identical.

I know it sounds stupid but how dyou know what to observe? So say I have a three year old do I go to DM to see what they should be doing and then see if they can?

Simona
18-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks so much guys- Is this a new publication?

Yes ...it was announced last week to help parents understand about their child development...what to expect and when...so age and stage of development as in DM.
It also helps if a child is not developing at the 'expected' level and you need to intervene.

The parents guide goes hand in hand with our DM
When you have a new child look at their age and observe/assess if their stage of development is as appropriate...or exceeding or below...then plan next Steps with parents.

LAs are aware of this new publication but many will be a bit behind in sharing info with providers...if they will share at all.
This publication replaces the old EYFS for parents and it is much much better.

Ripeberry
18-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the link Simona :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
18-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the link Simona :thumbsup:

Thanks Gillsbrownsword :)

blue bear
18-03-2015, 06:30 PM
I know it sounds stupid but how dyou know what to observe? So say I have a three year old do I go to DM to see what they should be doing and then see if they can?

I do loads when they first come to me, anything I see really so I can form a picture of what they can do, then it slows down to the wows or concerns.

Yes using development matters to pinpoint what to look outfor is a good idea. It as you get to know the children really well it will all just come naturally.

mumofone
18-03-2015, 09:08 PM
I do loads when they first come to me, anything I see really so I can form a picture of what they can do, then it slows down to the wows or concerns. Yes using development matters to pinpoint what to look outfor is a good idea. It as you get to know the children really well it will all just come naturally.

What dyou use to log/track them blue bear?

blue bear
19-03-2015, 01:40 PM
What dyou use to log/track them blue bear?

I've just switched to using an online system called orbit which tracks observations/areas of learning for you. I used touse a word document previously.

KatieFS
20-03-2015, 03:50 PM
I use orbit! It's fab!-and free!!! I use app on my phone. Makes life easier!

mumofone
20-03-2015, 03:55 PM
I use orbit! It's fab!-and free!!! I use app on my phone. Makes life easier!

What's orbit KatieFS and how does it work? X

blue bear
20-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Orbit is an online learning journal. It is also useful for doing assessments and tracking learning. You do it online it's free and so so easy.

https://orbit.so/earlyyears

You can do it through the internet on any device they also have an apple app.

For example you take a picture of little johnny counting, you upload the photo onto orbit and write the observation. "Johnny counted the cars, 1,2,3,4,5,6" he did it twice.
You then click on areas of learning and select from a drop down box
Then add next steps (no drop down box for this bit you need to add this yourself, I often copy and paste from development matters) and that's it done. Just complete the assessment by ticking a box and bingo it's in the learning journal and parents get an email telling them. It's made my life so much easier, mostly done during nap time no more Sunday mornings working at the learning journals my weekends are mine once more :clapping:

There are other online journals some free some not. Some do so much more like daily diaries and bills etc but I think orbit must be one of the simplest

mumofone
20-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Orbit is an online learning journal. It is also useful for doing assessments and tracking learning. You do it online it's free and so so easy. https://orbit.so/earlyyears You can do it through the internet on any device they also have an apple app. For example you take a picture of little johnny counting, you upload the photo onto orbit and write the observation. "Johnny counted the cars, 1,2,3,4,5,6" he did it twice. You then click on areas of learning and select from a drop down box Then add next steps (no drop down box for this bit you need to add this yourself, I often copy and paste from development matters) and that's it done. Just complete the assessment by ticking a box and bingo it's in the learning journal and parents get an email telling them. It's made my life so much easier, mostly done during nap time no more Sunday mornings working at the learning journals my weekends are mine once more :clapping: There are other online journals some free some not. Some do so much more like daily diaries and bills etc but I think orbit must be one of the simplest

Thank you, I just took a look, if I create a profile and add children do I have to get parents to consent? Is the information only accessible to me? Could I show OFSTED the content if I were to be inspected/or could I print stuff off from it?

blue bear
20-03-2015, 06:07 PM
I have consent to make notes, observations, photographs and videos in the form of a diary or learning journal both written and electronically online - have This for every family regardless of whether I do Lj paper or online. Thinks it's good practice to have permission.
My parents love or it they love being able to see the observations fairly instantly. It's only accessible by you and the orbit team plus parents or whoever else they ask you to invite.
Ofsted from what I can tell are happy to look at. Your lj's online they don't have to be printed off.
To be on the safe side I think it's a good idea say once every three months to create a Lj in the system and download it as a PDF, email to parents and keep it on your files. You just never know what might happen and you don't want to loose all your hard work if a company goes bust or whatever.

blue bear
20-03-2015, 06:08 PM
You could always set up a pretend child for now to give it a trial before involving parents to see if you like it.

mumofone
20-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Use Development Matters as a guide to observe where the child is and where you want to move on....also use CoEL. The new What to expect, when? guide just published is also good for you to work with parents ...it will be linked to EYFS. We all vary in doing obs...I do several a day but it does not mean I record them all but keep a track of what the child is showing Also 1 activity can link to all areas of learning!

Simona sorry - what's CoEL?

Simona
21-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Simona sorry - what's CoEL?

Characteristics of Effective Learning...you will find these in the first few pages of the Development Matters (DM) guidance