PDA

View Full Version : petition to help Norfolk childminders with recent funding cuts!

TinyTinker
13-03-2015, 10:45 AM
https://www.change.org/p/norfolk-county-council-protect-early-years-education-in-norfolk-don-t-cut-childminder-funding

Please sign:o

Simona
13-03-2015, 11:02 AM
https://www.*****/p/norfolk-county-council-protect-early-years-education-in-norfolk-don-t-cut-childminder-funding

Please sign:o

I will look for the petition as the link is starred.

Norfolk have announced a cut in the 15 hrs funding from £5.06 to £3.30...is that what you are referring to?
I saw this in the NWorld LinkedIn discussion....it is rather drastic and not surprised providers are worried.

LAs are given the funding to pass on to us but they can do as they please...unfortunately.
Our funding has gone up 10p after 14 years!

This was highlighted by Nick Clegg and Sam Gyimah...they are aware the entire funding is not given to us
Clegg was rattled when those present argued with him...as I did... on the funding being creamed off by LAs and it was when he called the attendees 'bolshy'...I look forward to seeing what he will actually do as his promises are rather dubious!

Clegg defends funding record but calls for councils to pass on more | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1149800/clegg-defends-funding-record-calls-councils-pass?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Keep up the fight :thumbsup:

Pixie dust
13-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I am in Norfolk and even though I am not happy about this we were getting a much higher rate of funding compared to the local nurseries and pre -schools. This cut is so that everyone is paid the same amount whatever their setting. The basic rate is low but their are extras for level of qualification and flexibility of hours offered.

Simona
13-03-2015, 11:34 AM
I am in Norfolk and even though I am not happy about this we were getting a much higher rate of funding compared to the local nurseries and pre -schools. This cut is so that everyone is paid the same amount whatever their setting. The basic rate is low but their are extras for level of qualification and flexibility of hours offered.

I am surprised that other providers did not query the different funding but there are additional bits we can claim...that is true.
LAs cannot impose any conditions on funding but clearly they do in Norfolk as qualifications are not part of the deal

The DfE funding to LAs is based on a formula that takes account of all areas in England...there is a toolkit you can check on how much you should get.
It was around £5.09
The rest is history because DfE does not say what LAs MUST pass to providers but 'SHOULD'....one is a legal requirement ...the other optional.

When the formula came out those LAs who were giving a higher rate dropped it and now they blame the general cuts in funding to EY services to reduce the rate further...that is a separate issue.

Many LAs will argue that we will get an extra 53p via the EYPP soon...thank God that is not something the LAs can mess with!

k1rstie
13-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I will look for the petition as the link is starred.

Norfolk have announced a cut in the 15 hrs funding from £5.06 to £3.30...is that what you are referring to?
I saw this in the NWorld LinkedIn discussion....it is rather drastic and not surprised providers are worried.

:

When I hear about childminders having cuts made, are you referring to all funding hours or only one age group. Have these minders always had a higher rate for all children. Ours rates are £5.10 for 2 year old funding and £3.85 for 3 and 4 year old funding

Simona
13-03-2015, 02:01 PM
When I hear about childminders having cuts made, are you referring to all funding hours or only one age group. Have these minders always had a higher rate for all children. Ours rates are £5.10 for 2 year old funding and £3.85 for 3 and 4 year old funding

The rate for 2 year olds is usually higher in most LAs...at age 3 it usually drops a bit....or in some LAs a lot
It is the carrot dangled in front of our eyes....help us with the 2 yo but suffer the consequences when they reach age 3.

My understanding is that LAs are reviewing their funding...it would be silly to drop the 2 yo because as it is some cannot offer it to all and the DfE now 'names and shames' them

NWorld are doing a research on this....I will feedback if I hear anything.
You can contact your LA financial dept and ask what they intend to offer from April because by now they know what their central govt funding will be