PDA

View Full Version : Adopted child

LalaO
11-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi!

I have a visit from a family with a child who has been adopted. When I was told I didn't think anything of it but it's dawned on me I should ask a bit about it. The child was 3 at the time so they presumably will be aware they were adopted, but I will check, just in case.
I suppose I maybe should ask a bit of history. Should I do this before the visit so we're not talking about it in front of the child?
What else should I ask? Any way of doing it?

Think I'm just worried it may seem like I'm prying.

Thanks, Lx

Kiddleywinks
12-03-2015, 08:24 AM
I may be wrong, so am prepared to be corrected heavily, but.......

If it was a full and proper adoption, I don't see what else CM's need to know. Certainly no need for any history - what relevance is it to us?
The only thing we need to be concerned about is who has PR, and a formal adoption gives the adoptive parents PR doesn't it...?

I guess if you know, you need to check if the child knows, but more to save any embarrassing foot in mouth moments.

lizduncan72
12-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Please don't assume the child knows and don't treat them any different from any other child in terms of history or other information. If there is anything you need to know I'm sure the parents will tell you. Our 3 year old daughter is adopted and doesn't understand what it means, she knows she came to us from her foster carer but is too young to understand much more at this time. You need to find out from the parents what they have told the child, if anything, and follow their lead in that.

Simona
12-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Hi!

I have a visit from a family with a child who has been adopted. When I was told I didn't think anything of it but it's dawned on me I should ask a bit about it. The child was 3 at the time so they presumably will be aware they were adopted, but I will check, just in case.
I suppose I maybe should ask a bit of history. Should I do this before the visit so we're not talking about it in front of the child?
What else should I ask? Any way of doing it?

Think I'm just worried it may seem like I'm prying.

Thanks, Lx

Talk to the parents about this as they have told you he is adopted and that should be in your contract section on family history...private and confidential
Good advice in the previous comment below

Contact your LA ...with parents' permission.....as adopted children are entitled to extra funding for EYPP and other things
I say this because at a training last night this is exactly what we discussed but it also in the govt guidance.

Maza
12-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Excellent advice already given. I agree that other than knowing who has PR and what the child knows then you don't need to know any other history. I always work on a 'need to know' basis with all my families - if they think there is something that I need to know then they will tell me.

Jiorjiina
13-03-2015, 12:35 AM
I think just talk to the parents and ask them if there is anything specific that you need to know, or that they want you to tell them about.

I'm sure they'd tell you if there was anything major (and presumably you would find out via 'all about me' forms etc), but I do know that some adopted children can have behavioural triggers related to things they may have experienced with their birth family. Since they aren't always obvious and may not all be identified since you can't always tell what your mind will associate with specific events.

Also ask about any preferred methods they use for discipline, because some widely used techniques (time out, etc) can be inappropriate for some adopted children.

hectors house
13-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Adopted children have been entitled to get 2 year old funding since last April, but this has now been extended into the new Pupil premium for 3 & 4 year olds - these children would get the 15 hours funding but the childcare provider can receive an extra 50 or 60p an hour (can't remember exact rate) on top of the normal funded rate - but you have to show that you used the extra funding (adds up to £300 a year) for resources and training specifically to help these pupil premium children. Our LA send out PP forms yesterday and have recommended that we give them to all parents. Parents fill them in and send them back, so parents don't have to discuss with us their income or any other criteria.

muffins
15-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Before I was a childminder I nanny'd an adopted child, a situation came up where I needed to make the child a Dr's appointment and they couldn't find the child on record because the surgery had failed to change the childs name on the system. Had there have been an emergency and we needed to attend A&E they wouldn't have had any access to medical information. I would now ask the parents if it would be possible to have previous name.

Simona
15-03-2015, 09:42 AM
The DfE has produced a guidance for EYPP

https://www.gov.uk/early-years-pupil-premium-guide-for-local-authorities

The Dept has also produced a template letter for providers...although LAs will probably produce their own version too...whichever one we wish to use ensure you keep a copy for your records

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-pupil-premium-model-document-and-letter-for-parents