PDA

View Full Version : Individual planning and sharing with parents question

VeggieSausage
11-03-2015, 02:32 PM
I am reviewing my individual planning as it isn't working as well as I want:

1. I do next steps after obs in LJ
2. At the end of every quarter I send LJ home and so parents see the next steps etc
3. I currently write next steps on a sheet and use this as an easy way to plan my week taking into account each child's next steps

I want to introduce a monthly individual planning sheet rather than the next steps sheet, how how do I share this with parents as I will fill some bits on at the beginning of the month/ week....but other bits will be filled in as we go.....should I stick it in the daily diary but then I don't have it when they are not here if I want to look at it....or what??? how does everyone do this well.....sharing next steps and activity ideas.

hectors house
11-03-2015, 04:29 PM
I was finding that sending home LJ every quarter was too long to share next steps with parents as they had probably reached the next step before parent even saw journal.

Maybe you could do your next steps for each child on a word document on the computer and e-mail it home to parents at the start of each month saying that you will be working on these next steps eg: x, y & z - could they also work on them at home and feedback to you if they see the child doing them before you do.

I must admit I have been using Tapestry since last May and it has changed my life - I'm completely up to date with journals, I put next steps on bottom of observations and parents can reply or add their own observations.

sarah707
11-03-2015, 08:17 PM
I share a lot of 'we are working on' comments with parents at collection time ... it is an informal way of sharing next steps with parents and they pick up on my comments really well. I ask them how they are getting on with ideas we have shared as well and they love telling us things they have tried at home :D

joannetalbot
11-03-2015, 10:07 PM
I was finding that sending home LJ every quarter was too long to share next steps with parents as they had probably reached the next step before parent even saw journal.

Maybe you could do your next steps for each child on a word document on the computer and e-mail it home to parents at the start of each month saying that you will be working on these next steps eg: x, y & z - could they also work on them at home and feedback to you if they see the child doing them before you do.

I must admit I have been using Tapestry since last May and it has changed my life - I'm completely up to date with journals, I put next steps on bottom of observations and parents can reply or add their own observations.

HH - as you know I am loving Tapestry:clapping: I am now getting to grips with the whole "next steps" part of it as I have to confess that next steps with obs and the EYFS has always confused me no matter what system I seem to have in place :blush: So far Tapestry has made my life a lot easier and I want that to continue still so I was curious to know what your next step routine is please? I know you say you include a next step on obs but is that it? Do these next steps appear on a separate sheet somewhere so you can call them up when you are ready to tackle those next steps? If not how do you remember what they are? Do you document them on a separate sheet if Tapestry won't do that for you? Are next steps on the bottom of obs all the next steps planning that you do?

I've nearly finished a big review of my planning in general and have got long term and medium term planning sussed but still individual planning is my bug bear :blush:

If you wouldn't mind explaining your next step routine I would be very grateful. I am determined to make Tapestry work for me and to finally feel confident with a system that makes my life easier.

If you lived closer I'd love to buy you coffee and cake to say thank you for helping me :laughing:

jo xxx

VeggieSausage
12-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes everyone is right I need to share next steps in between the LJ going home - that has been my problem, maybe I will do a combo email and talk on the door. Also does everyone have a next step for each area of learning on the go all the time?

lor
12-03-2015, 10:18 AM
I have recently began to incorporate my obs and next steps in my daily diary.

I use Lg printer (read about it on here:thumbsup:) print off picture highlight learning areas met write up quick next steps and done!
parents love to see pics more regularly and helps me keep on top of it!

Hth x x

Simona
13-03-2015, 10:38 AM
My thinking is that the new Parents' guide...What to Expect, when?.... is going to be a very useful tool for parents and providers.

It is linked to EYFS and it states clearly parents can discuss development with their setting
I see it as a working and live tool for parents...it has room for their own comments and I envisage planning Next steps to be a lot easier

I believe parents can request a printed copy from Foundation Years but not sure if there is a charge

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2015/03/4Children_ParentsGuide_2015_WEB.pdf