PDA

View Full Version : Daily risks checklist

mumofone
11-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Does anyone have a daily checklist of risks in their home that they check that's not covered by a bigger risk assessment? How do you do this?

moggy
11-03-2015, 01:09 PM
No, again I think this is 'nursery thinking'- where a manager needs to know if staff have done/ticked-off checks in the setting each day.
I know what I need to check and if I have done so. Maybe if you are starting out and feel you need to remind yourself you can make a list of things but that will be very specific to your home.

rickysmiths
11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
I have my eyes.

I have never had a Daily Check list. I also don't have any written Risk Assessments anymore we are no longer required to have them under EYFS.

mumofone
11-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I have my eyes. I have never had a Daily Check list. I also don't have any written Risk Assessments anymore we are no longer required to have them under EYFS.

Thanks rickysmiths - Yep maybe a daily checklist is a bit OTT, like you say we have our eyes!
I know risk assessments are no longer needed to be written but I have done so for my own sanity check! :-)

mama2three
11-03-2015, 10:30 PM
I have got a daily checklist it goes back to when RAs had to be written. It was never used as a ticklist , rather to show what risks Id check for daily. Cant remember when I last looked at it though. I will leave it lurking for when they decide to move the goalposts again

miffy
11-03-2015, 10:50 PM
I have one -it's just a room by room list of things that I would do/check every day -it's not dated or used as a tick list and I did it like Mama2three when RA had to be written down.

I rarely refer to it as I know what I check every day.

Miffy xx

mumofone
12-03-2015, 08:23 AM
That's great, thanks guys.
I don't get why they changed from wanting RAs written down to not?!

Mouse
12-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Because they realised what a waste of time they were!

Either you spot a risk or you don't. Writing it down doesn't make any difference.

I have a policy on how I will identify, assess and deal with risks. It basically says that I am constantly on the look out for risks, I will take the individual children into account when considering risks and that I will do my best to limit risks.
The only RAs I write down are in response to specific concerns, or to cover myself when I go over my numbers by having 4 EYs children.

I had one mum express a concern when we got a new TV. It was standing on a low table while we were waiting to get it fixed to the wall and she felt it was a danger. I wrote a written RA showing how I had thought about any potential risks and how I dealt with them. I gave her a copy and filed a copy so that if there was ever a query about it I had written evidence of having dealt with it.

bunyip
12-03-2015, 02:11 PM

Maybe they contained too many big words for the inspectres to cope with. :rolleyes:

I think Dept for Education like to keep changing things. It keeps us on our toes and keeps some superannuated civil servants in an otherwise unnecessary job. :(

FloraDora
12-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Because they realised what a waste of time they were!

Either you spot a risk or you don't. Writing it down doesn't make any difference.

I have a policy on how I will identify, assess and deal with risks. It basically says that I am constantly on the look out for risks, I will take the individual children into account when considering risks and that I will do my best to limit risks.
The only RAs I write down are in response to specific concerns, or to cover myself when I go over my numbers by having 4 EYs children.

I had one mum express a concern when we got a new TV. It was standing on a low table while we were waiting to get it fixed to the wall and she felt it was a danger. I wrote a written RA showing how I had thought about any potential risks and how I dealt with them. I gave her a copy and filed a copy so that if there was ever a query about it I had written evidence of having dealt with it.

So what is the largest size TV you can have on a TV stand?
My current small tv is the lightest I have ever had - my boys grew up with huge hefty elephant ones with massive backs. So It hadn't occured to me that it would be an issue? Book cases are attached to walls.
None of my LO's would ever pull it over....they are really not interested in anything in my living room other than children's resources - I have my moorcroft lamp and little vases, some antique Nick nacks....they look but never touch.
I suppose if I had a child who had the potential I would RA like you did....but there again, I am a little choosy about my clientel so probably would never take a child like that on!
I really wouldn't want to put the tv on the wall, I like to change my room around too much and the tv isn't the focus point of my room as we rarely watch it - the lovely coal fire is.
Food for thought though!

FloraDora
12-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Maybe they contained too many big words for the inspectres to cope with. :rolleyes:

I think Dept for Education like to keep changing things. It keeps us on our toes and keeps some superannuated civil servants in an otherwise unnecessary job. :(

I am becoming a fan of civil servants : my oldest last year decided to give up his extremely well paid job as a policy writer, researcher and lobbyist for a large education Union to travel around South America.
He returns in the summer and it looks like CS is the one area that he may be able to get a job in, his networking before he went has meant that he has had some potential offers for when he returns......though I can't see that they will be any more exciting than the job he left ( my job doesn't excite me anymore seems to be the young persons criteria theses days - not how will I pay the bills??)

So I can't be negative as it may be the only way he can earn and not tap in to our bank account! I hope there are some unnecessary job openings for someone who has spent the last year exploring - then labouring on permaculture farms, who is now fluent in Spanish and Portugese!

Mouse
12-03-2015, 05:56 PM
So what is the largest size TV you can have on a TV stand?
My current small tv is the lightest I have ever had - my boys grew up with huge hefty elephant ones with massive backs. So It hadn't occured to me that it would be an issue? Book cases are attached to walls.
None of my LO's would ever pull it over....they are really not interested in anything in my living room other than children's resources - I have my moorcroft lamp and little vases, some antique Nick nacks....they look but never touch.
I suppose if I had a child who had the potential I would RA like you did....but there again, I am a little choosy about my clientel so probably would never take a child like that on!
I really wouldn't want to put the tv on the wall, I like to change my room around too much and the tv isn't the focus point of my room as we rarely watch it - the lovely coal fire is.
Food for thought though!

I don't actually like big TVs. This one is in the "man" lounge, so only my husband & our sons watch it in there. Apparently it only shows sport :rolleyes: I only use the room for focussed activities with the minded children (where we're all sitting down) and for them to sleep in there.
Like you, my mindees all know how to behave when they are here. None of them would dream of touching the TV, or anything they know not to touch. I don't have any Moorcroft pottery, but I do have things around that I tell them not to touch - and they don't.

I think this particular mum's comments said more about her control of the child than it did about mine! She could obviously imagine her child knocking it over whereas I knew there'd never be any chance of that!!

bunyip
12-03-2015, 07:08 PM
I am becoming a fan of civil servants : my oldest last year decided to give up his extremely well paid job as a policy writer, researcher and lobbyist for a large education Union to travel around South America.
He returns in the summer and it looks like CS is the one area that he may be able to get a job in, his networking before he went has meant that he has had some potential offers for when he returns......though I can't see that they will be any more exciting than the job he left ( my job doesn't excite me anymore seems to be the young persons criteria theses days - not how will I pay the bills??)

So I can't be negative as it may be the only way he can earn and not tap in to our bank account! I hope there are some unnecessary job openings for someone who has spent the last year exploring - then labouring on permaculture farms, who is now fluent in Spanish and Portugese!

You're right. I shouldn't knock civil serpents as my longest-standing client is one. She's fine, though the CS seem determined to muck up her childcare vouchers each time she moves desks. :p

As for the TV debate, I take the view that everything in the house is perfectly safe: it's the children who keep using such things in an attempt to kill themselves. I have 1 particular lo at the moment who could sit on a carpet and still fall off and hurt himself. :doh:

Mind you, I'm used to this sort of things having worked on the railways. One of the biggest challenges in transport is stopping the British travelling public from injuring themselves at every opportunity. :(

Simona
13-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Does anyone have a daily checklist of risks in their home that they check that's not covered by a bigger risk assessment? How do you do this?

I agree with Rickysmiths and use my eyes each day
One area I do look out for possible risks each day is the garden as things can happen 'in the night' with animal visitors who overturn bins or leave their mark...foxes and neighbours' cats are a prime example.
The other possible risk is a sand pit if it has a cover that does not fit well...cats would love to get inside and leave you a present!

Also a RA is to 'minimise risks or manage them' as it is impossible to avoid them altogether!
Although RA is not required anymore I have kept my one in the Safety folder and give it to the parents...just in case they query anything and I have had instances where parents take hints from mine.