PDA

View Full Version : Garden ideas

Gill Brownsword
10-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Hi all!

I need some ideas for how to make my garden better for children.

My garden is all in levels going away from the house, First theres a square of decking, then I have 2 squares of grass and then at the bottom I have very badly laid slabs and gravel in between. The slabs and gravel are the biggest problem, I don't have loads of cash and I'm just starting out but I need some kind of cheap flooring alternatives! My decking is very slipy in the wet to but that bit can be fenced off....

Any ideas ???

Maza
10-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Why are the slabs a problem? Are they uneven and therefore a tripping hazard? Could you put a piece of equipment over the really bad bits to syop the children from tripping? A little table or a sand tray/box? x

FloraDora
10-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Mine love the gravel we have in our garden- they constantly collect and distribute to various areas. If your slabs are cracked or really uneven could you dig one or two up and have it as small digging areas. / places for the children to plant. Like Maza said - cover them with a table/sand trays. As long as you RA age appropriate then the odd uneven slab shouldn't cause a problem - .well our council doesn't think so on part of our lake walk!
Cracks lead to imagination, jumping over challenges - your garden doesn't have to be perfect.
I don't have any wheeled vehicles in mine, which wouldn't cope on your slabs probably, we do have trikes, but use them to go out with, long trike rides.
My garden is just a garden, with veg and flower beds, planks and tree stumps, different surfaces nothing too costly , nothing plastic- you sound like you have the start of something great.

It's the slippy deck that will like you say cause the biggest issue..but be fantastic in dry weather.

Send for the cosy catalogue - not to buy anything but to get lots of ideas - most of the good discovery, enquiry ideas can be home made with recycled materials.

Gill Brownsword
10-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Well you have both made me feel less worried. Thank you very much.

The slabs are a really badly laid patio so they are cemented in but with no attempt at them being even. The gravel has been put over the top to try to improve things but it's only succeeded in making it worse! I think the children will love the garden but I'm not sure about the OFSTED inspector :panic:

I have no out door play equipment at the moment and a sand pit would be perfect..... but the rabbit may love it more than the kids so I think thats out lol. I'm now thinking a big planter or 3 for them to dig in. I'm very blessed to live behind the park so there's no shortage of space.

mama2three
11-03-2015, 07:11 AM
I have an area of really badly laid crazy paving, unsightly ,uneven , dirty and dangerous.
When I first started I covered it in the large rubber tiles you get to go under gym equipment etc , it cost me about £60 to cover the area but was a great improvement.
Over a few years the edges of these tiles have started to lift - so last year I covered that with a piece of outdoor carpet which has worked brilliantly. This is a nice flat smooth area , great for trainsets or toys brought out from indoors Its perfect for the crawlers and babies - I have a large unruly garden for exploring once they get more confident .

Gill Brownsword
16-03-2015, 09:12 PM
I have an area of really badly laid crazy paving, unsightly ,uneven , dirty and dangerous.
When I first started I covered it in the large rubber tiles you get to go under gym equipment etc , it cost me about £60 to cover the area but was a great improvement.
Over a few years the edges of these tiles have started to lift - so last year I covered that with a piece of outdoor carpet which has worked brilliantly. This is a nice flat smooth area , great for trainsets or toys brought out from indoors Its perfect for the crawlers and babies - I have a large unruly garden for exploring once they get more confident .

Thanks that sounds like a great idea! I don't think it's that bad but I'd rather have it a little safer for any little ones, I'd have to restrict them if I don't improve things.