PDA

View Full Version : Mothering Sunday

Tulip
09-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Hi evryone
I am looking for a lttle inspiration and wondered what you are all doing with your little ones's for mother's day

hectors house
09-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to keep it simple and the mindees own work this year - the ideas on the independent facebook page have just turned into some kind of craft competition, with everyone doing foot and hand print this and that on expensive canvases, what happened to something being painted by the child by themselves on a piece of paper and stuck onto a piece of cardboard from a cereal box?

My mindees are painting terracotta pots and putting in pots of crocuses that they have been growing for several months, only problem is that they were flowering at their best last week!

loocyloo
09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
I discovered that I had amassed a multitude of cupcake crafts (oops!) ... Key rings, hanging decorations, pegs, paper mache pots and more ... Each child has/is choosing what they they want and then decorating how they want. LOs are sticking tissue paper on and a bit of glitter!
Cards are a folded piece of card with a drawing/scribble by the child.

That is it, I don't do any more than that...It's their work not mine.

moggy
09-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Glue and tissue/ribbon/cellophane collage for 3yr old to do on a card.
1-2 yr olds will be expressing themselves with the paints on a card!

I think all these foot-print and hand-prints with a poem off the internet are ridiculous- let the other parent do that if they wish, it is nothing to do with the child's own creation or own ideas.

TinyTinker
09-03-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna go for the vase of flowers thing! it's a craft made with a tube and base made from card (to make the vase) either covered in pretty paper or painted. Then you make flower heads from card - paint or colour them - stick them on pipe cleaner stalks! Then you get pictures of the little one and put them in the centres of the flowers :)

did them a few years back and they usually are fun for kids to make and go down very well with the mums! :)

lollipop kid
09-03-2015, 02:09 PM
I seem to have tons of Ramekins - clear, coloured etc.

I don't need these so I thought I'd buy some wrapped chocolates (such as Ferrero Rocher - I might just eat a few as well!), dig out my cup-cases, let the children scribble on the cup-casess (to be interpreted by the parents as "I love you"), stick a chocolate in these, then the cup-cake case in the Ramekin, then job done.

(Result - I get rid of my surplus Ramekins and parents get a chocolate/gift from little ones - and I get to eat the remainder of the chocolates.)

(Classic "Problem, Product, Solution" stuff!)

:D

L

hectors house
09-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Glue and tissue/ribbon/cellophane collage for 3yr old to do on a card.
1-2 yr olds will be expressing themselves with the paints on a card!

I think all these foot-print and hand-prints with a poem off the internet are ridiculous- let the other parent do that if they wish, it is nothing to do with the child's own creation or own ideas.

I am guilty of doing a hand or footprint craft at Christmas though but just think that some of them have some competitive that they could go into business running craft shops - very beautiful but only thing child has supplied is their hand or foot.

mama2three
09-03-2015, 02:59 PM
My 2 year olds like nothing more than mixing playdough at the moment - so today we mixed some salt dough so they can make some little mosaic type creations for mums. Who knows how they'll turn out - depends how well beads and buttons cope with the baking bit!!!
The older ones will use the cookie heart cutters , then the silver enamel paint and Ive got some brooch backs they can stick on if they like ( or they too can do a will it wont it melt science experiment!!)

hectors house
09-03-2015, 03:03 PM
My 2 year olds like nothing more than mixing playdough at the moment - so today we mixed some salt dough so they can make some little mosaic type creations for mums. Who knows how they'll turn out - depends how well beads and buttons cope with the baking bit!!!
The older ones will use the cookie heart cutters , then the silver enamel paint and Ive got some brooch backs they can stick on if they like ( or they too can do a will it wont it melt science experiment!!)

It does the children good to know that sometimes things don't work out as planned and that sometimes adults get things wrong. Hope your craft activities turn out as planned though :thumbsup:

tess1981
09-03-2015, 04:09 PM
My Los did messy painting on a sheet of paper and a paper plate... mummy will be getting these as the children were told it's for their mummy and they do what they want

Kiddleywinks
09-03-2015, 04:21 PM
I've cut a folded piece of card into a dress shape or a handbag shape for the LO's to decorate, the older ones have been making card flowers for the last couple of weeks so will have a lovely sized 'bouquet'

funemnx
09-03-2015, 04:57 PM
My lo's planted a small plug plant in a pot this afternoon and then painted them (very multicoloured!) :)

Tulip
09-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone, so many lovely ideas I'm spoilt for choice :)

watford wizz
09-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Home made sweets, pre made marzipan and icing, mini marshmallows and choc chips made some microwave fudge, lovely pics of kids covered on choc/icing sugar/sprinkles which probable will go down easier that the sweets but it's great fun x

loocyloo
09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Home made sweets, pre made marzipan and icing, mini marshmallows and choc chips made some microwave fudge, lovely pics of kids covered on choc/icing sugar/sprinkles which probable will go down easier that the sweets but it's great fun x

Ooooo ... Can you pass on a recipe for microwave fudge please! ( for me, not mindees! )

greenfaerie
09-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks for some great ideas guys. I'm going to add some of these to my list. I have a whole pinterest board of ideas. :) I usually like giving the child an appropriate shaped stamper (Like a flower for a bouquet) or something similar. I did elastic bands around celery stalks printing with my daughter last week. That's okay, but not sensational. :)

watford wizz
10-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Microwave fudge is on Pinterest but it's butter, choc and condensed milk melted in microwave, stir till starts to thicken and the put in tray in fridge till set. Doesn't set really firm but very yummy x

loocyloo
10-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Microwave fudge is on Pinterest but it's butter, choc and condensed milk melted in microwave, stir till starts to thicken and the put in tray in fridge till set. Doesn't set really firm but very yummy x

Yum. Thanks x

SYLVIA
10-03-2015, 07:54 PM
We have made handbag cards. A strip of card concertinaed up. LO's painted the card, Added a ribbon of their choice as a handle. Then stuck an after eight chocolate inside on both sides. Very sweet I have to say and the Lo's enjoyed making them

kellib
10-03-2015, 08:31 PM
I let the lo's loose today with glitter and stickers, they made some wonderful cards :)

They do all the handprint stuff etc at pre school/nursery so I see no need to duplicate them here!

natlou82
10-03-2015, 09:59 PM
We have a variety of cards, a couple of handprints, a lovely fingerprint one by a 17 month old, lots of own designs using felt tips, stickers, paint, craft things :-). We are also making clay butterfly pendants which have the children's fingerprints, but I'm not sure if they re all going to be completed in time.

natlou82
10-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Sorry the 17 month old one was finger paint not finger print - she really enjoyed doing her own thing :-)

hectors house
10-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Had a text 5 mins before leaving for childminding toddler group today that no one had arranged a craft for mother's day (or person organising it wasn't coming), so I rummaged around and took coloured paper folded to be a card, orange paint and green, yellow paper that I cut into very rough 4 sided back of daffodil petals, corks, paint brushes and pritt sticks.

Children stuck on the petal shapes to coloured paper, used cork in orange paint to make centres and painted on stems and leaves. Phew felt like a Mr Maker minute challenge thinking of an idea and rushing around collecting enough resources to satisfy 30 children!

Just tried to upload a photo but file too large - haven't worked out on new camera how to make photo files smaller yet!

fluff1975
11-03-2015, 09:41 AM
We made cards at the childminding group and decorated plant pots here using pva and tissue paper. Our local florist is selling pots of mini daffodils and gave us a discounted rate £1 a pot! Tada!