PDA

View Full Version : TV time

mumofone
09-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Do you ask parents if their child is allowed to watch any tv whilst you mind them? Obviously j wouldn't stick a child in front of a tv for any extended period of time but would the odd programne be ok if they wanted to watch it and how do you broach the topic with parents etc?

mama2three
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
I just mention during initial visits that we have occasional telly time , if a little one is under the weather for example , or we might have 'Friday film night' with popcorn an a movie as a special treat occasionally.
I wont 'ask permission' for lots of things - parents are aware what is part of my service ,they choose whether what I offer is what they want for their child before taking up a place.

tess1981
09-03-2015, 12:10 PM
If like me you like the TV on while you are doing tasks such as preparing lunch or tidying up after it or my last hour of the day is wind down all toys packed away and TV programme of their choice goes on (obviously age appropriate) tell parents about it when you going through your daily routine. I like the children all to be settled at home time as a few parents may collect at same time. I just tell the parents when talking about collection. If one parent does not want the child to watch TV at all I'm not the minder for them. My home times are a lot less hassle when I have them all in one place .

JoRo163
09-03-2015, 12:12 PM
I don't ask permission for this. I tell parents when they first visit, how/when a TV may be used. For us, I only use the TV after school if the schoolies want some down time. Even then, it isn't every day, maybe once a week they have a film on. I see no problem with that. It is a home from home environment & so long as it isn't on all the time I think it's fine.

moggy
09-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes, it is a good idea to ask if parents are happy with their child watching TV and you would be wise to let them know how/when you use TV with the mindees. If yours is a setting with TV then it will not suit some parents but will be fine for others- as you suggest yourself, it is just a case of letting them know how you do it and what they are happy with... BEFORE the child starts with you!

hectors house
09-03-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a TV policy that states that TV will be used occasionally for educational purposes or historic events (like Olympics, Remembrance Day coverage), whilst I pop in the kitchen to get lunch ready (I can hear children at all times), whilst I clear up between activities, to settle children who don't want parents to leave in the morning (it's a distraction and something familiar from home) and sometimes if children are feeling tired or under the weather and just need down time.

Did have a parent once tell me that her child wasn't to watch any TV that day as parent would still have lots of work to do when she got home and would need to sit child in front of TV so she could get it done, she also presented me with a phonic workbook for me to do with child whilst other children asleep - we parted company shortly after - don't think she liked me telling her that I wasn't employed by her!

blue bear
09-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Do you know it's never crossed my mind to ask but then we don't have it on all that often anyway. It's there, children can turn it on if they want to it's just not something children really ask for.

The older children will often have a DVD on in the holidays, we make popcorn from scratch and make bags/boxes for it to go in, it a whole days activity with a walk to the shop to buy the kernels,then craft activity to make bags. Pop the corn then watch the film. A real treat.

All of mine get from what I can tell, a fairly hefty diet of TV at home so are not all that bothered to be watching it at mine they would rather be busy doing activities.

I've only had one parent mention how she would rather her child didn't have TV on (and she had counted I had only had it on three times in the three years I'd cared for her child) after her child had left me and the new provider let her watch TV everyday.