PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessing...a rug!

mumofone
09-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I have a rug in one of the rooms I'll be using for minding. It lies very flat as it's fairly new and doesn't look to pose a problem so my question is how do I risk assess it and say I think it's safe or do I need to use rug grippers or something?

tess1981
09-03-2015, 12:13 PM
In northern Ireland rugs are included in RA as it a tripping hazard but as long as we use double sided carpet tape to keep it down we are covered

hectors house
09-03-2015, 12:14 PM
I would wait and see what happens with it, do children trip over it? I had one in my hall on a wooden floor but ended up taking it up as although it was on a grip mat and didn't slide, the children did trip over the edge and it became obvious that it was a problem.

mama2three
09-03-2015, 12:16 PM
If you think its safe then just a brief RA.
Then if an accident or near miss happens , they've tripped over the edge of the rug say , or its slipped and the child has fallen - then you reassess - and just mark on the RA that you have repositioned / remove / added grippers / reminded children not to run indoors - or whatever is appropriate.

mumofone
09-03-2015, 05:23 PM
How would I word that I've recognised that it could be an issue but don't think it will be?

Gill Brownsword
09-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I was worried about this too. I put that it was "low risk" for trips and falls. I said that I would keep an eye on it and re-asses... as I am pre-reg I'm not sure if this would be acceptable!

mumofone
09-03-2015, 06:12 PM
I was worried about this too. I put that it was "low risk" for trips and falls. I said that I would keep an eye on it and re-asses... as I am pre-reg I'm not sure if this would be acceptable!

Thanks Gill, I'll do the same! :-) :-) thank you