PDA

View Full Version : wow moment documents

sweets
07-03-2015, 07:15 PM
I used to have the wow moment sheets but cant find them anywhere, has anyone got them? there is one sheet for each area of learning, i think there were 6 stars on each sheet. thanks

FloraDora
07-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Don't understand the wow moment recording? Is it an observation? Is it something out of this world that a child does and so you record it somewhere different to usual observations?

What constitutes a wow moment and why do people record it over and above general observations?

bunyip
08-03-2015, 10:08 AM
I personally dislike the term, but then I dislike a lot of the so-called 'professional' terminology we're obliged to use, and "Wow" is a bit snappier than the "oh-look-my-child-just-did-something moment".

I have no idea if I'm doing this right, and although my inspectre liked it, that's just one inspectre amongst 1000s and they all seem to like or dislike things in a random and arbritrary manner.

I have a few "wow" pages in the back of each child's diary. I encourage (but don't expect) parents to note the occasional thing their child achieves or enjoys so I can transfer the information into their learning journal. It seems to go down well "professionally" as " partnership with parents". It is, in reality, a 2nd-hand observation: mum observes, then bunyip interprets into the language of EYFS.

The general pattern is that a very small number of parents fill in 1 or 2 "wows" per month; a higher number of parents never use them; the majority do a few at the start of the arrangement, then dwindle to none or the odd one every now and then. (Whether the CM wishes to 'grade' parents from 'Outstanding' to 'Inadequate' accordingly is purely a matter of personal choice. :rolleyes:)

The page looks something like this:-

“Wow” Moments
Parents, please use these pages to note down any special achievements or experiences your child has enjoyed. This might be something ‘big’ like first steps or just a new interest or experience you have shared together. Whatever it may be, I’ll be delighted to include your observations in your child’s learning and development records to help us work together to enhance their childhood experience here.
[Space for parents to write]
Childminder's notes
Date

I usually note that the child's ability to throw a yoghurt or whatever is "absolutely fantastic", that I've transferred the information to his/her/its LJ (cross-referenced with "parent says.." blatantly highlighted so even the most jaded inspectre will see it) and add one of those patronising "Well done" stickers (good value from Wilko's if you can find a branch which still stocks them.) :thumbsup:

I sometimes ask parents to look out for something in particular that the lo might not get much chance to exhibit at my place but which they'll do a lot at home (eg. walking up/down stairs.) This helps fill the gaps in my own observations.

Also worth remembering that no child ever ever EVER says their first word or takes their first steps at the CM's place (do they?;)) so you'll need that milestone moment "evidenced" (if I may engage in professional noun-abuse for a moment) by the joyful parents if you want Ofsted to believe they can walk/talk for themselves.

lollipop kid
08-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I personally dislike the term, but then I dislike a lot of the so-called 'professional' terminology we're obliged to use, and "Wow" is a bit snappier than the "oh-look-my-child-just-did-something moment".

I have no idea if I'm doing this right, and although my inspectre liked it, that's just one inspectre amongst 1000s and they all seem to like or dislike things in a random and arbritrary manner.

I have a few "wow" pages in the back of each child's diary. I encourage (but don't expect) parents to note the occasional thing their child achieves or enjoys so I can transfer the information into their learning journal. It seems to go down well "professionally" as " partnership with parents". It is, in reality, a 2nd-hand observation: mum observes, then bunyip interprets into the language of EYFS.

The general pattern is that a very small number of parents fill in 1 or 2 "wows" per month; a higher number of parents never use them; the majority do a few at the start of the arrangement, then dwindle to none or the odd one every now and then. (Whether the CM wishes to 'grade' parents from 'Outstanding' to 'Inadequate' accordingly is purely a matter of personal choice. :rolleyes:)

The page looks something like this:-

I usually note that the child's ability to throw a yoghurt or whatever is "absolutely fantastic", that I've transferred the information to his/her/its LJ (cross-referenced with "parent says.." blatantly highlighted so even the most jaded inspectre will see it) and add one of those patronising "Well done" stickers (good value from Wilko's if you can find a branch which still stocks them.) :thumbsup:

I sometimes ask parents to look out for something in particular that the lo might not get much chance to exhibit at my place but which they'll do a lot at home (eg. walking up/down stairs.) This helps fill the gaps in my own observations.

Also worth remembering that no child ever ever EVER says their first word or takes their first steps at the CM's place (do they?;)) so you'll need that milestone moment "evidenced" (if I may engage in professional noun-abuse for a moment) by the joyful parents if you want Ofsted to believe they can walk/talk for themselves.

Lovely and well-said, Mr B!

One of the good things I like about Tapestry is that I can get the parents to go in directly to it and add their own observations from home. I then get a little numbered note coming up on the screen when I go into that child's journal, and I can then put in the EYFS coding (or not if I've captured the same note elsewhere). Some parents love it and are very active. I like your use of the note to parents, though. I may have to 'borrow' that! Brilliant idea, as knowing my luck, the Inspectre I get next will think it's the parent's initiative instead of me actively encouraging it (which I do verbally). Try 'proving' that to an 'Inspectre'. :censored:

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

L

sweets
08-03-2015, 12:07 PM
So no one has a copy of them then? Never mind I will keep looking!

Thanks

bunyip
08-03-2015, 07:27 PM
So no one has a copy of them then? Never mind I will keep looking!

Thanks

See my earlier post. The bit in the text box is my form....... just add your own big white space for the parent to write in. :thumbsup: