PDA

View Full Version : Amendment to SEND code of practice

hectors house
05-03-2015, 07:03 PM
On my course today the tutor mentioned that the SEND code of practice has already been amended and that the new one comes into effect from 1st April.

Hoping it's not an April Fool's Joke as this one is 10 pages longer than the last one - no need to print the whole document though, just save it to your computer for further reference - if you want to print some, Chapter 5 is Early Years Providers from page 78 to 90 - click on the link and scroll down to the new version

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25

Smiley
05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks
Think I'll be just printing the early years section

Wiggle Wiggle
06-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Hectors House a BIG THANK YOU for posting this and informing. I would not have known and only yesterday was reviewing my SEND once again as I thought right no more changes have taken place since Christmas in this area - I must be safe and review as currently have a child with SEND. Now this is being changed after I had completed a course last November on the September version.:(

Do you know if they will be publishing a sheet denoting the changes being made between the September 2014 and April 2015 version as I note it has increased by ten pages and also were you informed on your course if there were any specific changes to the Early Years section?

I am just asking as my LA will be keeping me in the dark.

A BIG THANK YOU once again for sharing!:)

hectors house
06-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Haven't had time to compare the old and new documents yet - it may be that there aren't any changes in the Early Years section, but think it would be good practice to make sure we have the new version saved on computer or the relevent early years section printed out. You really would have thought that they would have proof read it accurately and made sure that all information was legally correct before publishing it would you?

Simona
06-03-2015, 09:12 AM
If there are any changes to SEND LAs will have a statutory duty to inform all providers because SEND is part of the C&F Act 2014.
If anyone is worried please call your EY dept and ask.

There have been concerns recently around children not getting funded with some LAs not being able to pass on the funding to parents according to their Local offer.

Anyone experiencing problems are being encouraged to report this...even NWorld are asking providers to come forward and report any concerns.

Wiggle Wiggle
06-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Thank you Hectors House for your response. Yes, indeed you would think that with such a large change from the 2001 version to now that all would be in place. I think it is just another case of the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing and we are left to pick up the pieces - i.e. changes to paper work, practice together with time. Many thanks again.

Thank you Simona for your input, I will be contacting them today.

Many thanks again.:)

Simona
06-03-2015, 01:44 PM
If you click on the link provided by HH it says very clearly the current guidance is valid until '31 March 2015'
So a new guidance is due from 1 April...would be too much to ask DfE not to leave things until the last minute?
One lives in hope!